Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible restoration of 50s/60s boat.  (Read 1451 times)

Oh How Original

• Full Mayhemer
  • A noob learning.
    • RC Fun Everyday
Possible restoration of 50s/60s boat.
« on: January 01, 2017, 03:33:07 pm »

Sorry the title is a bit vague, I don't know a massive amount about the boat, but I haven't been to the lake for a while due to water, my Thunder Tiger Avanti is looking very dusty lol... I wanted a project to do, I kept looking at some slow tug style boats, for mounting an action cam to and going round the lake with, following the yachts possibly etc... And I stumbled upon a bit of a bargain, after looking around I have discovered it's an Aerokits Sea Commander, it's 34" long I believe and it's an original one from either the 50s or 60s, I can't find out a way to tell when they started, there seems to be mixed info about that, but I do know this is an original old one, so I thought it was worth saving from the skip.
It has a Decaperm motor, which I've found the specs are as follows.
Decaperm 12v, 8500 RPM, 5-pole motor with built in 2.75:1 gearbox.  Very high torque, medium RPM, low current motor.  Ideal for large tugs and trawlers.
Hopefully that should be fine for it.
Just thought I'd start a thread about it, I don't know how far I will go with it, purely based on my limited knowledge really, I don't want to get in too deep on a project I can't finish lol.
I will upload some pictures when it arrives... I've no idea what the colour and whatnot will be, also no idea what I'll need to waterproof it all and seal it up, but I'll hopefully get some advice from you helpful chaps on that  :D

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Possible restoration of 50s/60s boat.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 03:49:55 pm »

Curiosity brings me to anticipate photos of what you receive. In the meantime, here's the link to another Sea Commander.

www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,54757.0.html

Regards,

Ray.

Oh How Original

• Full Mayhemer
  • A noob learning.
    • RC Fun Everyday
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 04:13:52 pm »

Here's an image I got off the seller, it definitely needs a lot of work, but it was pretty cheap really, so I won't pass judgement on if I have the skill to restore it or not.
I am a sucker for older stuff though, I love vintage and originals over repros so I couldn't say no.

Grumpy Dave

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 09:38:58 pm »

I've got one in the garage, scrounged from the tip. Partly done, just waiting for me to retire again. But with 2 Landrovers and 2 kit cars to keep going and a Springer tug to finish I need to live forever.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.