Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hobby's side trawler  (Read 2501 times)

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Hobby's side trawler
« on: January 01, 2017, 05:00:14 pm »

Hi all it may be a while before I start this as I have a 1/8 corvette stingray coming and I'm entering it in a big scale gb so that will take priority.
Anyway I thought this looked like a great kit with loads of potential for improving it, so here are a few pics of what you get in the kit, it was a chrissy present from my bro (thanks again jim)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hobby's side trawler
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 11:08:56 am »

That looks fun with a challenge. Please let us know how you get on, along with the problems  (if any )  as you go.

I have a large collection of matchsticks and wondered about the gluing and the time it takes to dry with a grip.   :}

Cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 12:08:44 pm »

I did try one of these some time ago, but found the paper used for the backing a bit on the thin side, so you could only apply a limited number of sticks before the glue started to soften the backing and it started to loose shape, so had to stop to allow to dry off before continuing. internals could do with more formers to hold shape me thinks.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 08:19:15 pm »

Hi all, well where do I start, I knew this would be a challenge (never tried this type of kit before) well if I do another, and that's a big if, I will change somethings there are no tabs just gluing edge to edge with the cardboard also they've modelled it with a flat deck (As we all know they're not they're curved to allow the water to run off) I've adjusted that the cardboard is very soft and thin also there is a bend into the middle of the hull template in order to fit it in the box since I've glued the hull together the sides toward the stern have gone concave so will have to unglue those and make some formers for ti to keep it out, I would suggest to future builders you trace the parts out not thicker and stiffer cardboard and add some tabs to increase the strength and make gluing easier.
Anyway here is where I am now .

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 08:47:31 pm »

Cripes, you are making good progress already Ken! I am surprised the designer does not have the builder make frames from matchsticks.
Pond weed is your enemy

kpnuts

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 08:25:18 pm »

Hi all here's the next update.

I figure I will matchstick all the sides then sand them all down smooth and paint it rusty white or black also I intend to make the masts and stuff out of other materials
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 22 queries.