Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drawing  (Read 1513 times)

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
    • Miniature Merchant Ships
Drawing
« on: May 04, 2017, 07:52:58 am »

I completed this profile image yesterday, it took about 4 days.   It is the oil tanker Algol, completed by Cammell Laird's Birkenhead, in 1977.   Makes a change from model building.     I have alway liked these simple, brightly coloured, ship images, but was never successul myself until the computer came along.     I drew the plan first on a large pice of white card. photographed it with a digital camera and put it in the computer as a Jpeg, and coloured it in.   I added the sea by using Sqirlz software (A free download).
Bob
Regards
Positive

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Drawing
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 08:33:10 am »

Brought back happy memories working on her and her sister ships.  Happy days at Lairds,

:-)) :-)) :-)) [size=78%] [/size]

Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 09:32:35 am »

I was standing by at Laird's for three months during the final stages of the building.   Sailed on trials off Arran, and then six months sailing in the ship.    (Radio Officer).    In the above image, I had forgotten to put the blue "V" on the funnel.   Here is the complete profile.
Bob
Regards
Positive

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 01:36:10 pm »

I was working on her for about twelve months a Foreman Engineer. I did all the trials on her doing 12 hour watches I cannot remember if I was in the engine room or doing all the ballasting and deballasting in the pump room.
Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

Positive

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 04:51:25 pm »

I remember on tank testing with the tops open and water pouring out of them, and the maindeck almost awash, something went wrong with the steam pumps, and we had to be pumped out with the smaller ones.       That was on the first trials.   On acceptance trials, everything was OK, and we sailed shortly after for Libya to load our first cargo, and then on the Galveston Texas where we more-or-less remained for six months lightering VLCCs at Galvestron Bar, and taking 55,000 tons a time up to Houston - boring in the extreme.   Here is a tank testing photograph.
Bob
Regards
Positive
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 23 queries.