Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resurrecting the K Class  (Read 28438 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Resurrecting the K Class
« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2017, 08:37:06 am »

My workshop is indoors. It was stored at used at normal room temperature.  Fine for previous and subsequent batches, but that particular box came quite dry and harder to knead.  I put it down to shelf life prior to purchase.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

mountfleet

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2017, 06:40:58 pm »

Waterproof servo to do the funnel fold mechanism. If you look at the top casing, I had to made two lockers to go over the mechanism.

mountfleet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2017, 06:44:15 pm »

This shows the x deans K modelling and as far I have got against my big 1:48 K.

mountfleet

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2017, 06:46:08 pm »

For size 3148th subs K class, E class and C class. This just shows the size of the beast.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2017, 08:46:05 pm »

That is a clever mechanism gentleman of Mountfleet. She was a giant and must have compared favourably with WW2 subs sizewise?
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2017, 10:19:48 pm »

That is a very neat mechanism "Mountfleet", both in design and application.  Not just the funnels but the funnel hatches too.
At 1/48 scale that is one big beast.  I thought mine was long at 1/96.  I would be very interested in knowing what dive system you have on board.  Mine (only 43 inches long) I had problems getting a system small enough in diameter to fit.
I believe the size of the K's were not surpassed until the later days of WW2.

My build is still waiting for some special brass bar stock for the control linkages.  Been waiting three weeks, from a UK stockist too - not China !!  I am now assured it will arrive by Tuesday.  In the mean time I have a set of three guns for her from J R Haynes.  Nice quality.  The bases for two of them are moulded plastic for lightness.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Resurrecting the K Class - Drills
« Reply #131 on: April 09, 2017, 01:40:49 pm »

Drills

Well, the special brass bars finally arrived.  I can now move towards making up the various plane and rudder linkages.  One problem was having to interface with some (US) Imperial sizes.  A lot of Googling showed Metric small drills seem to be limited to 0.5 mm diameter differences.  Ideally I need 2.4 and 2.8 diameters.  Coming back from a fruitless trip to B&Q I dropped into my local hardware shop, who often stock things the big stores don’t.  They also stocked 1.0 to 3.0 in 0.5 increments. Then he took out the famous Zeus book and asked if I had considered Imperial sizes?

Doh !   No, I hadn’t thought of that.  I came away with two each of 3/32” and 7/64”.  Just what I needed.  I have since ordered a 13 piece set from 1/16 upwards in 1/64 increments.  That should cover future eventualities.

Rudder will be an expoxied-in bush with a grub-screwed bush and soldered actuator arm.  Each twin dive plane set will have expoxied-in sleeves plus a drilled sleeve with grub screw at each end and soldered arm.

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: May 09, 2017, 07:50:35 pm »

Done bit of googling and you tube seems most sources say twin 3 blade props 7ft 9ins in dia,

Bob
I will finish this model

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: May 09, 2017, 09:34:49 pm »

More than twenty were built across eight separate shipyards.  There were naturally many detail differences according to where and when they were built, plus later in-service refits.  The only photograph of an actual K class propeller is of HMS K4, built at Vickers in Barrow-in-Furness.
I am building HMS K9 which was also built at the same shipyard so it is reasonable to accept that K9 had similar propellers to K4.  Four bladed.

Progress (or lack of it.)
At present I am struggling a bit on constructing the dive plane mountings, not having a decent lathe, milling machine, or pillar drill.  The solution I am working on uses imperial sized rods and tubes, the brass section from a 10A terminal block, and some very careful soldering.  More later, but it is taking time and care to make it both solidly practical and also able to be disassembled for serving.
The rudder and servo mounting should be more straightforward.  After that will come setting up magnetic couplings for the various servo rods.

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: May 10, 2017, 01:07:26 pm »

Bob,
 Your build is wonderful. Hat's off to you for tackling such a challenging project.
Jonathan

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Resurrecting the K Class - Dive planes
« Reply #135 on: May 12, 2017, 11:24:20 am »

Dive Planes

A frustrating situation causes delays whilst I figure out ways around the dilemma.
I know how to achieve what I want with these control surface fittings, and even served a five year apprenticeship as a toolmaker, but not having access to a lathe, milling machine, or decent bench pillar drill negates everything I knew.  I am constrained to improvise a solution using basic hand tools. 

Two inch long 5/16” dia solid brass bars with grub screws would be far too heavy. 

So donning the Bagpuss Thinking Cap I eventually formed a solution I could produce with the tools I have.  For the present I am utilising the resin cast planes with 3/32 brass rods.  The rods on them are too short for my purpose, so I extended them with K&S 3/32 rod and a 1/8 O/D sleeve, both soldered.  A short section of the next size up K&S tube forms the hull bearing.

Now the natty bit.  Cutting up a small terminal block I have a brass block with two screws to clamp the extended rod. The other end of the block was drilled 2 mm deep to suit 5/32 tube, and soldered to the tube.
Hurrah for Carr’s 188 solder paint, less heating and solder only goes where you paint it.
Finally, a brass actuator arm soldered to the central tube.  Total weight including planes 11 gm, and dismountable for servicing by just undoing the screws

The above was assembled into the hull, securing the bearings with epoxy.

Very restricted space, so the soldering had to be accurate. 

Next is the pair of aft dive planes, in an even narrower section of hull.  I had to adapt the above method so the rods meet in the middle with half circle flats, using a single larger terminal block to clamp both rods together.  Brass actuator arm solder to end of terminal block.

Pictures of that later, plus the relatively more simple rudder mounting and arm.

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: May 12, 2017, 12:13:33 pm »

Dive planes: very nicely done. I used a  sililar system on my large Seawolf. I soldered K&S square telescoping tubing, it was sized to fit the ID of the round "bearing" tubing fixed to the hull, to the plane's round shaft. I did this with the two dive planes off the hull and aligned so that when fitted to the hull they aligned. Then added a bell crank and was set to go. Great to see other's solutions to problems.
Are your "water proof" servos that you are using to raise/lower your funnels in the free flood area or in H2O proof containers? I ask because so many such servos are really only H@O resistant and will not resist repeated submerging to depth. Might be something to consider.
Beatiful work.
Jonathan

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #137 on: May 12, 2017, 12:25:52 pm »

Thank you Jonathan.  I was impressed by that "wet" servo controlled funnels system, but I have a servo inside the dive module for that, but have not yet thought too much on how to operate them.
However, everyone has been telling me not to bother and to concentrate on getting the sub to work instead. 
Diving with the funnels up will look as ludicrous as running on the surface with them retracted though . . .

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #138 on: May 12, 2017, 10:59:42 pm »

How about using small floats linked to the funnels that move up as the sub dives folding down the funnels. Using the water vents would allow them to fold the funnels before the sub has fully dived so making it look good but without electrical components to get wet.

This is a spur of the moment idea and I may be talking gibberish!
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.