Mess Deck: General Section > Other Hobbies and Interests

Wild Bird Feeding!

(1/17) > >>

Martin (Admin):

Any  Furious  Wild Bird Feeders amongst us?

My Mum has always feed the birds in the back garden when I was a kid
( but strangely got quite annoyed when the same 'said' birds, then left messy deposits on the clean washing!) and still feeds the birds  today, much to Dad's bemusement!

Anyway, I seem to have caught the bug and have now found myself browsing the wild bird feed section at the local (B&Q) shop.... signs of middle age?
I'm feeding the birds, at lunchtime, in a little used car park, which has a little patch of bushes and trees on two sides. I've already made a few regular friends, 3 crows, Bobin the Robin a family of Blue "boobs" and recently a very persistence & annoying grey squirrel!

So far I've found out that:
Robins carefully & extendedly look at you before feeding,
Robins are bullies to blue "boobs",
Crows are Very suspicious of food near bushes, (where a predator can hide?),
Crows carefully select their food, grab two or three bits and fly off and eat elsewhere but nearby, returning a quickly as they can.
Robins don't much like seed bird food unless there's nothing else,
Blue "boobs" like seed bird food, peck lots of it out of the seed feeder but throw 2 out of 3 bits away!
Crows Love crisps and custard creams,
Birds don't like cheap bird food... unless there's nothing else.
ALL birds love bread,
Squirrels can chew through almost Anything!

Blue "boobs" thinking for tree hanging bird feeder:
"Fly in, AmIsafe? What'sgoingon? Whereisthefood? Ah!ANewBbirdfFeeder!  IsitSafetoPerchoverthere? Hop, AmIsafe? What'sgoingon?  IsitSafetoPerchoverthere? Hoponbirdfeeder,  PeckDiscardPeckDiscardPeckDiscardGraboneGone!

Blue "boobs" thinking for ground food:
"AmIsafe? What'sgoingon? Isitsafe? Hop. AmIsafe?. Gone!" SwoopGrapRun!"

Do you feed the birds? .... it's a lot more than 'tuppence a day' I can tell ya!

Colin Bishop:
Pigeons = animated vacuum cleaners.  {:-{

Colin

Umi_Ryuzuki:
Not so desperate now, but the last few days of the cold snap here, the humming bird was fearless.

Squirrels will get smart, given the opportunity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VcUiTStKq8

%)

ballastanksian:
Pigeons = C=raptors.

I used to feed the boids, but then moved and no longer do but fancy starting again. I love Long tail Boobs as they hang about like rowdy gangs mobbing their way around the garden before scooting off. I wonder if they do this to be a large noisey blob to confuse predators.

Liverbudgie2:
Please don't feed them bread, as it swells up in their insides and can kill them. Nuts, seeds and fats are more than good enough.

LB

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version