Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Wild Bird Feeding!  (Read 18762 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Wild Bird Feeding!
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2017, 09:45:58 pm »

.... technically, that is feeding the birds to the feeding birds isn't it?!   %)

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2017, 10:42:24 pm »

And no cats were involved. Mind you, If I were a cat, I wouldn't want to be near a raptor, they have more pointy bits than cats!
Pond weed is your enemy

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2017, 05:23:00 pm »

This little one (or his relatives) has been visiting for the last 10 years. He/she seem to be feeding on grubs or ants in the grass, leaving lots of little holes where its beak has been.
Don't Assume Check

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2017, 03:33:52 pm »

We have dozens of these Finches most years. This pic is from last summer when they were in their peak.

Also a Downy Woodpecker that seems to be a daily visitor at the moment.

Tom

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2017, 04:53:35 pm »

I have tried several times to attract wild birds by using numerous bird feeders.  However, whatever I have hung up they only attract ingenious squirrels.  I even put a large inverted plastic dome over the hanging wire.  Made no difference, squirrels can infiltrate anything short of Fort Knox.  In the end I gave up putting food out for squirrels and pigeons.

The bird life round here consisted almost exclusively of Pigeons, which seem to scare off all the others - Until a pair of large Kites took residence.  Since then all other wildlife has made itself scarce.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2017, 11:42:51 pm »

The bird life round here consisted almost exclusively of Pigeons, which seem to scare off all the others - Until a pair of large Kites took residence.  Since then all other wildlife has made itself scarce.

We saw a fair few parakeets last time we visited your neck of the woods. They haven't reached us in the midlands - yet!

Dave
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2017, 11:53:12 pm »

Buy an all metal peanut feeder, squirrels will drive themselves insane trying to get at the nuts!   {-)

https://youtu.be/sS4ach0CwN4

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2017, 12:51:32 pm »

The Cardinals come around once in a while, but most of their habitat got removed last year so they are rare now.

The Snowy Owls come down from the Arctic when food is scarce there. This one was from a couple of years ago. It would sit on this same pole for a few hours every day, looking for food in the field below.

We have a couple of dozen pigeons around, but they seem to do a good job of cleaning the mess on the floor from the other birds.

I created a large area in the bottom of the garden, where I leave food for the bigger birds and squirrels. It keeps them away from the smaller birds and their feeders (sort of)

Tom

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2017, 12:52:54 pm »

This is the answer to the peskey squirrel chaps, a 'squirrel baffle' aesthetics nil points but works well.

Confused squirrel sits looking up underneath the inverted plastic plant pot, tries to run up the centre post of the bird table,
and falls back to earth with a bump and he's not reached the bird table since the baffle was fitted.

Down sides -  unsightly and the increased windage in windy weather can blow the bird table over,
basically an inverted large plant pot, large hole cut in it to clear the bird table post,
screw eyes under the bird table platform engaging with hooks screwed into a ply plate on the inside of the plant pot,
needs hole big enough to allow the plant pot to sway about should squirrel try to climb on it,
works really well.

regards Paul

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2017, 05:37:26 pm »

Squirrel is in the shed looking for a saw to fell the feeder
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

oldflyer2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2017, 07:23:13 pm »

That is an excellent solution. I can envision a squirrel getting very frustrated indeed trying to get up there.

Tom

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2017, 08:45:06 am »

Nice one Baldrick ! nothing surprises me with squirrels they are oh so clever and annoying -

Last summer built a strawberry enclosure out of strong wire netting, bomb proof I thought,
but who got in and took one bite out each strawberry and left the remains on the ground to rot away,
our agile furry grey friends.

Paul

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2017, 10:27:38 am »

I did try the large inverted dome, both on a bird table and on a branch hung feeder.
Gymnastic little pests managed to get past both.  Waste of time.
I have had to give up trying to feed pigeons as the darn squirrels circumvent anything.
They should call all these feeders 'squirrel feeders'.

Yes we did have a flock of parakeets that a couple across the road fed.  But since the Kites arrived they too have gone.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2017, 07:19:39 pm »

My gorilla wild bird feeding project is going well but the building where I've set up my feeders, is being refurbished so I may loose that site.....  <:(

New video:    https://youtu.be/MV9O82KHcSw

I have now started feeding more, outside the kitchen window, in the front garden.
No squirrels so far but one of the neighborhood cats has made mincemeat out of two pigeons recently.
Nice to see so many different types of birds feeding together..... well, mainly squabbling but we make sure there is always enough to go round, they have been doing well out of me I can tell ya, but the local QD store is much cheaper, for bird food stuff, than anywhere I can find on-line!

This year we've had a few Robins, Black birds, Blue "boobs", Great "boobs", a pair of Goldfinches, a new family of Starlings, the usual greedy Magpies & Pigeons.
See a lot of Crows and Gulls but they don't seem to like the seclusion of the garden, thankfully!

Feeders:
For small birds ( and ground feeding ), I prefer Sunflower heart seeds,  all birds love it, no waste all.
( Birds don't like the cheap all mix seeds very much and will only eat it if there is nothing else around, at all! )

Peanuts. Use an all metal feeder - just to annoy the squirrels! Good value if you want to take photos, the birds have to fight to get at the nuts and they will 'cause they Love peanuts!

Suet / Fat balls, in nets and slabs / bricks -  small birds love them in spring, particularly the starlings.

I'm also carrying out an experiment of sweet feeding at work ... mainly to 'Wardie' it seems .. he's more crafty than the squirrels!

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2017, 11:05:35 am »

Very nice.   :-))

My Wife thanks you for the film.  We have always helped them down our way but did have a rat problem.  Have to think outside the box, so your thread has helped us with better methods.

Cheers

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2017, 05:52:25 pm »

Lovely film Martin. The bit with the Long tailed 'Boobs' was the best :}
Pond weed is your enemy

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2017, 12:17:37 am »

This year's 'stupid baby bird award' goes to,...

%)

No worries, I put it back...
 ok2

portside II

• Full Mayhemer
  • tugs at rest
  • Location: Howden.East Riding of Yorkshire.England Near the banks of the river Ouse
    • goole model boat club indi site
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2017, 09:59:33 am »

I can spend a fortune feeding the song birds during the winter months , its so rewarding to see them.
But any of the species on the general licence including the grey's who rob song birds nests are removed.
Although I have fitted a couple of cones to feeder posts and the customers find it funny to watch the greys attempts to get to the feeders without success.
daz
I like to build my boats to play with, not to just look pretty, so they dont !

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2017, 07:12:39 pm »

I live 5 miles from the coast, but have had in my garden in the past, hawks, all usual finches, ""boobs", aka t I t s", blackbirds, ring doves and wayward racing pigeons, even have a lovely little resident wren from close by who forrages.......plus the ubiquitous sea gulls and terns.......

In their infinite wisdom, Wyre Borough Council set up[ a stink tank to sit and stink about the rising population of gulls and how to get rid of them.............they decided that, in their infinite wisdom, if people stopped feeding them...............they'd just FLY AWAY and feed off fish and mussels like they used to do...........and as an added incentive to stop people feeding gulls in their back gardens.........although they didn't realise that we were feeding other birds, and being the greedy gits that gulls are, were nicking the food off the smaller birds..............some councillors thought it might be a good idea and incentive for neighbours who dobbed in other neighbours feeding gulls (who would then be fined £200.00 quid for this misdemeanour) to have a reduction in their council tax for every neighbour fined........

I just wonder what IQ level these town councillors have to reach before they are barred from sitting on such council panels,  because they would then make sensible contributions to council matters and proceedings in meetings...............and here at WBC  we couldn't have that...............it'd raise the tone of the town lol >:-o >>:-( <*<

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2017, 09:52:26 pm »

Neil..... Mr GOOGLE didn't offer any readings for IQ + Local Government town councillors, however did offer some light reading on IQ + alcoholism.....this will obviously be far more interesting reading than reading councillors notes  {-)

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjwsN_Z7fjXAhWDnpQKHUTeByMQFghaMAg&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov%2Fpmc%2Farticles%2FPMC4368388%2F&usg=AOvVaw3Ywg7f0QljXPcEmaV0xtvh

PS......I like the section that says.....

"There were 2,781 abstainers, 33,526 light consumers, 9,547 moderate consumers, and 1,724 high consumers in the study population".....so where does that place you & me as bird watchers as opposed to bird feeders?  %)
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: December 08, 2017, 12:19:21 am »

Neil..... Mr GOOGLE didn't offer any readings for IQ + Local Government town councillors, however did offer some light reading on IQ + alcoholism.....this will obviously be far more interesting reading than reading councillors notes  {-)

https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=9&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjwsN_Z7fjXAhWDnpQKHUTeByMQFghaMAg&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov%2Fpmc%2Farticles%2FPMC4368388%2F&usg=AOvVaw3Ywg7f0QljXPcEmaV0xtvh

PS......I like the section that says.....

"There were 2,781 abstainers, 33,526 light consumers, 9,547 moderate consumers, and 1,724 high consumers in the study population".....so where does that place you & me as bird watchers as opposed to bird feeders?  %)

that just about adds up to the total population of Fleetwood Derek.......pretty spot on mate.........I would put myself now a days as slipped in the rankings from mods to lights..............but in my youth...........at Uni in the highs............always reckon you can start high and slacken off with age.............the ol' liver can't take the beating it used to be able too in  youth..............lol {-) {-) {-) {-)

Neil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2017, 12:32:24 am »

mind you, I chucked a few ice cold Castlemaine 4 x's down my throat whilst out your way............that and Carlton draught were my favourites. O0 O0 {-) {-) {-)

thunderchild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2017, 11:08:15 am »

Good Day All

We've got a family of Magpies that have been coming for food for the past three years, it's go the the state that they knock on the back door to let us know that they're there.
Richard

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2017, 06:05:24 pm »

The snowy owl was confused by the recent snow.  %)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2017, 09:09:36 pm »

Great photo!   :-))
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.