Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help needed in making a purchase from Hobbyking  (Read 2512 times)

Daleb

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Help needed in making a purchase from Hobbyking
« on: January 23, 2017, 12:55:38 pm »

High all,
I'm returning to the hobby after some years away and was looking yesterday to make my first ever purchase on the Hobbyking website.
After selecting a few items in my basket I found that some were listed in Hong Kong some UK and some in USA. I didn't go through with the purchase as I was rather confused. Did I do something drastically wrong or is this normal? I don't fancy waiting around for weeks and weeks waiting for a delivery from Hong Kong and is duty then payable? HELP please!!

Thanks, Dale [size=78%] [/size]

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Help needed in making a purchase from Hobbyking
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 01:41:49 pm »

Hello Dale
First you must realise Hobby King is a global company. What you need to do is go on to Hobby King UK Warehouse . select items in pounds sterling . when you pick an item make sure it is from the UK warehouse . IF the item you have selected does not have the UK warehouse select box this means the item is not available from the UK. Here you have two choices . 1 select maybe the EU ware house or another ware house . extra postage and tax may be involved or select a different item . Note not all items are available from the UK warehouse .

john

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 05:30:52 pm »

I haven't bought from HK for a while, but the postage from the European warehouse at one time was less than from the UK. Of course, buying from the EU there is no duty or VAT to pay. If you buy from HK or the USA you MAY get charged VAT & Duty.

Barrie

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 07:38:40 pm »

Speaking as someone who purchased last week. First make sure you change the options at the top of the page to show UK-Sterling.

Then for each object you wish to purchase there is now a bar above the item to show which warehouses it is available from, always make sure to select UK or the European warehouse if available. If the part is not urgent don't select any of the others - do you want to wait for it to come from Australia or Hong Kong?

When you have all your parts selected go to check out and then double check the location each will be dispatched from. Insert payment options and pay particular attention to the default settings, from memory the delivery defaults to courier which could be £10 - £15 when first class royal mail is quite sufficient.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 10:19:45 pm »

I also purchased last week, making sure I had UK selected and GBP currency.
However on placing the order it switched to US Dollars and "Shipped from .... Global".
So, I have no idea from where it is being shipped, and no idea how long it will take to arrive.
All I have heard so far is an email robot confirming it has been packaged.  No other info.
No tracking details either.
NOT IMPRESSED.   <*<
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 10:35:50 pm »

Hi Bob, if your parts are from the global, its coming from Hong Kong, as for duty, if the cost is less than about £30, it will probably get through, over that and you will pay duty,

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

Daleb

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 08:18:31 am »

Thanks for the replies guys, guess I'll have another go now I have more of an idea what to expect.

Thanks again, Dale.

Daleb

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2017, 08:55:38 pm »

I just wanted to round this post off by saying that I have made three recent purchases from the UK Hobbyking warehouse and am and happy to say that the service and communication was excellent and each time the items arrived the next day. I was so happy with them and bit the bullet and ordered an item that was only listed in Hong Kong and low and behold I had it within four days...very impressed so far  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.