Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bad news from Horizon Hobbies  (Read 3493 times)

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Bad news from Horizon Hobbies
« on: January 23, 2017, 01:14:35 pm »

Found this information on a Model aircraft forum today.

Spectrum equipment will increase in price by 15%. Horizon have closed their UK branch and have lost 40 jobs in Europe. Servicing of Spectrum will be in Germany from now on, not the UK.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
Re: Bad news from Horizon Hobbies
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 01:24:18 pm »

As virtually all international business transactions use the US dollar - I think there will be more pain to follow in many (most?) other areas.

I have a couple of chums who work high up in retail. Their companies hoarded dollars before Brexit - but they have mostly gone to pay for next years stock so market forces will prevail...

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 08:44:47 pm »

Prices on fast turnover products, such as RC Cars, K&S Metals, Evergreen Plastics, have already gone up between 5% and 20%, Futaba have crept up a bit, but not by much..and my Sainsburys Apple Pies have gone up 10p!
Still, we put the ticks in the boxes {:-{
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 08:50:21 pm »

On the bad news/good news front, Hobbico have closed shop in Europe and headed back to the US of A. They supplied Tactic radios, some decent RTR boats whose name I have forgotten, decent Rock Crawlers, same again on the name, much flying product and so on. The distribution of most of this has gone back to the previous UK based distributors, who had distribution rights before Hobbico moved into Europe.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 08:58:41 pm »

UBN.....we don't know the name of Sainsburys Pies in OZ......so I looked for them on GOOGLE & what do I find?

The advertising blurb has your name on it  {-)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 09:45:49 pm »

That looks a fine apple pie:O) Are you a cream or custard man UBN?

It annoys me regards Evergreen and Plastruct that you rarely see both stocked by the same shop/dealer. I find Evergreen better for strip and Plastruct better for their styrene rod as it is always round. Hobby Hangar in Yeovil do Evergreen.

Regarding pies Derek, I like the pies you have in Australia, especially the ones with mashed potato on top  O0 Pie floaters are gorgeous as well:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 11:35:17 pm »

It annoys me regards Evergreen and Plastruct that you rarely see both stocked by the same shop/dealer. I find Evergreen better for strip and Plastruct better for their styrene rod as it is always round. Hobby Hangar in Yeovil do Evergreen.

Regarding pies Derek, I like the pies you have in Australia, especially the ones with mashed potato on top  O0 Pie floaters are gorgeous as well:O)

:o :o :o What about the Yatala pie with mushy peas,  :-)) :-)) halfway down from Brissie to the Gold coast.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 01:21:38 am »

Hi as a current visitor to Australia I checked on Yatala pies I was worried that a Yatala was yet another dangerous specie I had not heard of.
So I am safe in Woy Woy (so good they named it twice!), here for another 3 weeks.
good onya.
Roy

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 03:30:55 am »

Roy,

They also named Wagga Wagga twice for tourists.

It's a little bit further South from you.

Oh and outback Queensland, West of Boulia, has the famous, infamous Min Min light.

Enjoy Woy Woy very nice place.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 05:14:16 am »

Thanks RAAA... and Derek,  b....y hot here, not so bad in the evening when there is the cooler breeze coming in across Booker Bay in which I have been swimming these last 3 days.
regards Roy

unbuiltnautilus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 07:17:06 am »

Put the pie in the oven for ten minutes, cream if it is after a meal, custard if it a 'warm you up' snack.

Plastruct and Evergreen...there's a thing. We decided to start stocking a plastic rack at Fratton Model Centre ( See us on Facebook, sorry, shameless plug! ) a couple of years ago. I had to decide which one to go for. Plastruct had advantages in having a bigger range of profiles, also their largest size parts were in longer lengths, very useful. Evergreen had standard length parts, but more importantly, one price for all the strip, plus availability from two of our regular suppliers. So I opted for Evergreen. However, I have started to put a few Plastruct items on the shelf, Ladders, stairs, 'U' Section, 'L' section. Another rack is out of the question for the time being, they are expensive as an initial outlay, and I always prefer to see a manageable amount of racks topped up with stock, rather than loads of half empty ones.

Steve Dean

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 11:08:18 am »

The news regarding Horizon Hobbies seems to be well and truly in the public domain and yet there is no statement on the UK web site. In fact everything appears as normal. As a big user of Spektrum radio equipment I'm very disappointed in the way they are handling this.
As an ex International Marketing Manager myself, the golden rule when making corporate decisions like this, is to make sure you have all your communications to the market properly organised so as not to create gossip that further weakens the market position of the Company and products your trying to protect. Poor show Horizon !!!!!!

Having said the above, I sincerely hope the Spektrum product line continues to be the World Class brand that it is. Over the years they have created some great technology, i.e. DSM2 & DSMX which have provided a 'rock solid' 2.4Ghz signal protocol.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.