Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lathe cutting tools  (Read 2134 times)

Stavros

Lathe cutting tools
« on: January 29, 2017, 10:00:50 pm »

Right then as I have more or less got my lathe up an running...just waiting for  apart to arrive that Steam Boat Phil is remaking for it the big question is what are the cutting tools like form Machine Mart...To be honest I can not afford a lot and yes I know the old addage buy cheap buy twice,or can any member on here reccomend anywhere that is reasonably priced

Dave

Corposant

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Lathe cutting tools
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 10:52:46 pm »

Dave

I have used RDG Tools and been happy with their products. They seem to have a wider choice than Machine Mart and their prices are reasonable.

Personally, I have never got on with carbide tips - but have a look at more informed/expert comment on a suitable website for the differences between Carbide vs. HSS.

Mike

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 12:48:24 am »

This guy makes Great videos! -
https://youtu.be/__A2xtLF0AU
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

MartinL

• Full Mayhemer
  • Founder member Westham Ocean Racing Yacht Club
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 08:25:04 am »

I go along with Mikes post, you can't go wrong with RDG tools but have a look at The Warco range, I,ve used them for years and have been more than happy.
Tipped or high speed tools I think is down to personal preference and materials you are likely to be cutting, if like me you tend to stick any old bit of metal in the chuck then I'd go with HS, it's very easy to chip a tipped tool by coming across a 'hard bit' whilst machining. Having said that I use tipped most of the time.
Martin

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 09:26:45 am »

Chronos or RDG tool suppliers for me.

I started out with HSS tools, went down the route of tipped/carbide ets and returned to HSS. They do everything I need to do.

Invest in a tool grinder and learn how to sharpen your own from HSS blanks, its well worth the effort. Sharpen a set of tools just for brass,bronze use only and keep them separate from others.

My 'go to' tool now is a diamond tool:

http://www.eccentricengineering.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid

It really is as good as the reviews.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.