Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tamco radio systems  (Read 3026 times)

Howard Q

• Full Mayhemer
Tamco radio systems
« on: February 01, 2017, 10:41:35 pm »

Hello All.whilst it is fairly well known that Tamco radio systems have all but disappeared from the face of the earth, has anyone heard anything on their future reappearance, the reason for the question is I have 2   6 channel rxs sitting on my work bench just waiting to be joined by a 6 channel system, for some unknown reason two of my radio systems decided not to bind with the rxs, both sets were 2.4 ghz, one Futaba the other Tamco, I replaced the Futaba set, it would be ideal if I could buy a new Tamco set and put all this collection back into use again.
all the usual traders are unable to obtain the sets, even they are frustrated, it seems almost as if Tamco are not particularly interested, my set packed up last August, it is most unusual for a reputable manufacturer allow such a huge gap in the supply chain. Howard Q.

Danny

• Gorleston Model Boat Club
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Gorleston MBC
Re: Tamco radio systems
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 11:15:31 pm »

Howard Q

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 11:24:43 pm »

Thanks Danny, will give them a call tomorrow, good old Model Mayhem always comes up trumps (not Donald).Howard Q

Howard Q

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 03:49:29 pm »

Thanks Danny. Rung Modelsport today and was able to place an order for 6 channel set, here's hoping, if succesful I will have to build some more models to use it, life is cruel isn't it. Howard Q

skierdive

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 07:06:42 pm »

Being new to boat modelling, can i ask, is this a common problem with radio systems or other components?

Having yet to build my first boat, I've spent a lot of time researching how to build it and which parts to put in/on it. 

Some time ago, after  considering all of the options i decided to buy a Planet system because of the reviews, cost and the thought that although my first boat may only have two channels, I may want to build more and they may require more channels. I now have two kits ready to build and a few plans ready for my first build that is not a kit.

My thinking was that i could just keep buying more receivers when needed so as not to keep swapping them from boat to boat.

So the day came when I phoned to order the Planet system only to be told that they were no longer available  but they could recommend the Tamco system which i duly bought.
This system has sat happily on my shelf still in the box awaiting the time when my boat is ready to have it installed.

Now, having read this thread, I am not filled with confidence. What if it is faulty? Can I get more receivers? Or are other makes compatible?  Do I have to buy another system?
Maybe I'm being a bit OCD but I wanted all of my systems to match.

My budget at the moment does not allow for constantly buying new equipment.

Am I worrying for no reason? It doesn't help that I am a born worrier. Ha ha.
Ian           

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 09:26:31 am »

It is a much more common problem with 2.4G radio equipment, due to the different brands usually being incompatible with each other. Whereas with a 1989 vintage Acoms 27mh set, you could easily use a 2016 'vintage' futaba 27mhz receiver. I doubt if this will follow for 2.4G equipment.
I cannot even suggest buying more expensive equipment to proof you against this happening, Spektrums DSM2 system is no longer able to be sold in transmitters, effectively making this equipment obsolete. This was imposed on them by outside sources.
The Planet system had a good run of about six years before disappearing though, which in this day and age is pretty good.
Your problem with the Tamco system and it's availability isn't confined to Tamco. The same units are sold under the names of Pulse and Core also. However, they all come out of the same factory and have all been unavailable for about three months. I do not know if they are cross compatible, as I have not had the opportunity to test two of the systems together. Maybe a fellow Mayhemer could give it a try? This would at least spread the brands of Rx that you could use.
My suggestion for a 'not too expensive' set, that should be available for a good while would be the new Futaba T2HR ( don't look at it too long, it will steal your soul!!! It is a really UGLY looking hand set. Still, you should be looking at the model, not the radio! ), it is £49.99 for a combo. It is supported by one of the biggest and longest running radio control manufacturers, so should be available for a good, long time to come.
The alternative to this would be to purchase one of the cheaper Chinese sets, with £5 to £8 spare Rx's, and stock up at point of purchase. Not my chosen choice, but a number of our club members have been purchasing the Flysky FS-16, and you know what, having looked at it, I really like it as a set. For once, it isn't a rattly piece of cheap Chinese tat. We have had two in use through 2016 and they have proved reliable. Not sure of long term availability, but for not much over sixty quid, you could buy a set and up to four spare Rx's, that should do for a few years of model building!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

steamboat66

• Full Mayhemer
  • maybe it will float!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2017, 04:57:27 pm »

current spektrum DSMX TXs will bind and work with DSM2 receivers.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 06:00:02 pm »

current spektrum DSMX TXs will bind and work with DSM2 receivers.

Spektrum do suffer from far to many acronyms, mind you so do Futaba!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 06:31:54 pm »

The originals do, but the later ones don't,
Due to legislation that stopped ongoing
DSM2 transmissions.

Mine works with both, but a friend just
Bought a new one and the DSM2 cheapie
RX'S don't work.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

skierdive

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2017, 06:50:41 pm »

Thank you, Unbuiltnautilus and Steamboat66 for your answers and suggestions.
I'll have a look again at what's out there. And do some more reading up.

Quote from unbuiltnautilus "still, you should be looking at the model, not the radio"
I agree, and I have noticed that at my local lake a lot of the sets are covered with a big neoprene type bag. So you cannot see what type/make they are anyway   :-)

Ian

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 21 queries.