Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lights for 1:83 scale  (Read 3310 times)

MayJay

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Lights for 1:83 scale
« on: February 03, 2017, 12:39:24 pm »

Hi All

I am building (with difficulty) a Deans Marine MV Anna Marie in 1:83 scale. I would dearly like to install working lights to include spots and gangway as well as nav. Finding small enough LED's on the net is difficult, they appear to only be available as an Xmas tree string. I would have no idea as to how to cut these into individual units and apply the appropriate electronics for safe usage (electronics are totally alien to me, I just do not understand them). Very bright lights would be needed for Search/Spotlights. The smallest normally available are the 3mm type, far too large. HELP, any advice/guidance gratefully received.  >>:-(

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Lights for 1:83 scale
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 12:54:48 pm »

Hi MayJay

Some one with more knowledge will come along and help you out, but I have got my LED's from this person on eBay led.shop*2010 I have had no problems with them.

Have a look at the Luton Model Boat club web site under Hint's they have a good write up on led's, also a site that my help you to work out the layout for led's http://led.linear1.org/

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 06:46:44 pm »

Gaugemaster GM61 Micro LEDs. 0.78mm dia, not cheap though at £7.95 for four. They don't sell tat though :-))
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 07:14:39 pm »

her you go . The 0402 LED are 0.5mm by 1.0mm
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182065361656?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=483088346457&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

He does other size that are a bit bigger . I have brought from this sell and used these in a mast light. You can also get these leds in blue green red etc

john

Howard Q

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 08:54:28 pm »

Hello. I have been using nano LEDs supplied ready wired from a small company   jsminiatures   put this into google and the website should show what is available, she also has a site    smallscalelights   , google this and more information is available. Cheers. Howard Q.

canalpilot

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 11:37:48 am »

I am sure that you can get all you requuire from the Component Shop.  Look on there website or come to the Ellesmere Port Model Boat Show on the 4th. or 5th. March.

MayJay

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 03:33:02 pm »

Thanks for all of your inputs, I will have to check out your recommendations. I am not at all into wiring LED's so could end up blowing the lot, understanding electronics is not within my ability, plug and play is about the limit. I believe that resistors come into the equation, how, why, what for elude me. However I will try.

MayJay

Skimmer Fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 05:11:14 pm »

Hi MayJay
I have attached a diagram of how I wired my LED's. ( I think I have got it right they work)

I used the LED's suggested by COS918
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182065361656?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=483088346457&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Do not know what voltage you are using.
If you have not got much room and use 3 volts you would not need the resistors for white or green LED's.
With 2 wires running around the hull you can tap off as many lights as you require.
A resistor can go anywhere in the positive wire once you have tapped of the positive wire running around the hull.
Regards
Skimmer Fan

roadrunner440

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 06:45:04 pm »

with a little planning it's farly cheep.got all mine from china..spent around 70$us for 1000 pieces 10 color sets in 1206,0805,0603....using magnet or enamed wire and solder paste..came out with some decent results..i also used surface mount resisters as well.just make sure to get the right wattage..i used 1/4 to 1/2 watt resisters for the 1206's but had to use 1 watt resisters for the plcc 5050 light chips I used for the deck lamps on top of the wheelhouse..and using brass strips&wire and spring contacters was able to light it without running wires everywhere...just takes a little planning&patience...but I cant solder you say ..that's what the paste is for..little dab on the joint.touch the iorn to it till it turns silver,your done..also with 1000 pieces for 20 to 30$ you can afford to practice....and after all you did build the boat so this is just another aspect of construction to master. I didn't know how to do it eather but for about 100& total I figured it out and have enough supplies for my next 3 or 4 projects...go pre wired you say. well magnet wire can be run anywhere.. I used it up the masts and hid the resisters up there too...and dip switches to control the on/off. and the best is only 2 wires from switch bord to power&ground as the correct resister allows that....now im not going to lie to you and say it was easy.. what started as a simple 1 or 2 week refit streached into about 6 months of trial and error (did and redid the rear mast lighting like 5 times till I was happy with it..)but hang in there as it is a cheaper route and it will always fit....but beware 0403's are the haredest to work with. still have a 50/50 rate of success there but getting better... but watch this video and decide for your self if it is worth it   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8vGAhOt4Po&t=55s

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 09:27:14 am »

Do not know what voltage you are using.If you have not got much room and use 3 volts you would not need the resistors for white or green LED's.
WRONG. 
If you use a small 3 volt battery (like a couple of dry AAA cells) that cannot deliver much current, you "get away" with it.  The internal resistance of the battery limits the current.  If the battery (or other power supply) can supply a higher current at even a few fractions of a volt higher than the forward voltage rating of the LEDs, they will have a short life.
The big advantage of LEDs is that, properly installed, they are almost everlasting, meaning that they don't need replacing.  The downside is that because of this, they get used in difficult places, so that replacement without a lot of collateral damage is difficult.  They do need to be wired so as to ensure a long life.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 09:29:24 am »

Hi Malcolm

Go to preview and alter the text size from 2  to 16               you have 15 mins

:}

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 09:39:27 am »

Hi Malcolm

Go to preview and alter the text size from 2  to 16               you have 15 mins

:}

ken
Noticed and done - something needs to be done about that resizing hobgoblin that keeps attacking quotes.  At one time it just used to reduce size to 78%, now its going for 2pt size, which seems malicious rather than just annoying.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 09:43:10 am »

yes it is an annoying quirk.

I just thought it might help others as I have to do this on a DAILY basis.   %)

Cheers

ken

I don't mind  really as I enjoy something to do. [/size52pt]

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 10:32:54 am »

Hi All

Model Boats Mag. Winter 2016 Edition Page 22 to 28 LED lighting by John Parker.
Covers red, green, yellow and white LEDs.

Christmas light LEDs are small and work well.
Do not worry about connecting LEDs up, they only work one way, if you connect one up the wrong way it will not kill them.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2017, 03:43:28 pm »

Hi All

Model Boats Mag. Winter 2016 Edition Page 22 to 28 LED lighting by John Parker.
Covers red, green, yellow and white LEDs.

Christmas light LEDs are small and work well.
Do not worry about connecting LEDs up, they only work one way, if you connect one up the wrong way it will not kill them.
LEDs do have a peak reverse voltage.  Exceed that, they do die instantly.  If the supply voltage is below PIV, they are safe, if above, they need care and/or protection.  The protection can be another LED wired in reverse parallel, so that only one lights up depending on current direction.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.