Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tips for newbie to glassfiber/epoxy issues  (Read 3462 times)

ahdguy

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Tips for newbie to glassfiber/epoxy issues
« on: February 06, 2017, 06:50:35 pm »

I've started a build and come across a few issues some self inflicted, some not. 
Firstly I made the mistake of sanding a coat of epoxy then not removing all the dust out of small cracks. I assumed the resin would seep into the cracks - it doesn't so there are a couple of white lines. 
- Suggestions on fixing this? Can I dremel out the line and fill with epoxy? Or do I have to sand away to bottom of the crack?

Second issue is that I've been really careful with the stern planking - no gaps etc, but the fiber glass has faint white patches here and there - yet it was soaked in resin (and if anything I left excess resin on it).   Any ideas on what would cause this? Greasy on fingers handling the glass fiber?  Debating if I need to sand the whole sheet off and start again : (

(So much sanding)

Also can I ask how you get around keeping glass fiber flat around sharp edges? I find it tends to 'bubble up' around the edges.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Tips for newbie to glassfiber/epoxy issues
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 10:29:02 am »

Wood is very absorbent, and will absorb resin from the laminate before it cures. What you should have done is give the wood a light coat of epoxy resin (some people thin the resin with isopropyl alchohol, but I don't bother), and allow that to dry for 12 hours or so. This seals the wood and you can then apply your resin and glass over that.

Sadly I do think you will have to sand it back and start over if this is going to be cosmetic.

For the areas with white lines, you should be able Dremel in and backfill with resin.

grease or other contaminates tend to cause fish-eying rather than white patches. Also if you laminate on a day with a lot of humidity that can leave a milky finish in the resin. I tend to put epoxy work in a hot cupboard, or a hot box. It cures really nicely that way.

ahdguy

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 03:31:55 pm »

Wood is very absorbent, and will absorb resin from the laminate before it cures. What you should have done is give the wood a light coat of epoxy resin (some people thin the resin with isopropyl alchohol, but I don't bother), and allow that to dry for 12 hours or so. This seals the wood and you can then apply your resin and glass over that.

Sadly I do think you will have to sand it back and start over if this is going to be cosmetic.

For the areas with white lines, you should be able Dremel in and backfill with resin.

grease or other contaminates tend to cause fish-eying rather than white patches. Also if you laminate on a day with a lot of humidity that can leave a milky finish in the resin. I tend to put epoxy work in a hot cupboard, or a hot box. It cures really nicely that way.

Strangely enough I had previously done a coat of epoxy to see how it would look without the glass.  Not great as it turns out, so I sanded smooth and then did a layer of glass on top so can't be resin-starved as the patch was sort of there on first applying resin.  (I think in hindsight I must have got something on the glass fiber as it had been laying about for a few days).   
Thanks for the tips (hot cupboard) will give that a bash tonight and see how that goes with the second coat.

Best

FrozenRabbit471

• Full Mayhemer
  • Long may you big jib draw
    • My Instagram
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 09:56:54 pm »

I purchased the Smit Rodderdam for my first build. The chap at the hobby store said not to bother using anytime of wood filler, simply clean the planked hull, apply the glass cloth and epoxy, let dry, sand and paint. That doesn't sound right.

What say you
Better to have it and not want it, than to need it and not have it

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 10:16:30 am »

It is easier to sand the wood containing filler than sand the epoxy coated cloth which makes breathing more difficult.   :}

Your choice

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 11:06:08 am »

Rabbit, the problem of not filling and sanding smooth is the gaps will show in the finished paint, no matter what you do. get the hull smooth then glass cloth and minimal resin. start in the center of the glass cloth and work the resin outwards, adding resin as you go, don't apply a lot just like painting keep your brush strokes in one direction, the cloth will crease.

Mark
Tugs are for pulling

FrozenRabbit471

• Full Mayhemer
  • Long may you big jib draw
    • My Instagram
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 07:11:44 pm »

Hi Tug-Kenny & Jarvo, Thanks! It seems like forever before I found your input. Simple stuff. So, I was given a good wood glue and "Testors" wood cement. I'll give the hull a light coating of the wood cement and sand in stages accordingly.

Then apply the cloth and epoxy as you guys suggested. The key, as I understand it, is to ensure the finished epoxy covered cloth is paint ready. steady and smooth.

I hope I got that right.
Better to have it and not want it, than to need it and not have it

martno1fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 09:42:03 am »

Once you have got the cloth wetted out scrape off any excess with an old credit card or you can wipe off with kitchen toweling , this means you wont have as much sanding to do later on.You might need to apply a cpl more thin coats after its cured to get a good smooth finish .
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.