Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scale calculation and conversion  (Read 3536 times)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Scale calculation and conversion
« on: February 07, 2017, 10:14:43 pm »

I have a problem with the mathematics of scale conversion.

I need to convert sizes drawn in 1:400 scale (or other scale sizes)  to their correct sizes in 1:200 scale.

I need to know the formula please.    ie:  multiply or divide a length by a number to 2 decimal places.

For example..... if converting from  1:200 to scale 1:100,  is it multiply the length by 2.

Hope you can point me in the right direction.

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Scale calculation and conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 10:27:23 pm »

I have a problem with the mathematics of scale conversion.

I need to convert sizes drawn in 1:400 scale (or other scale sizes)  to their correct sizes in 1:200 scale.

is it multiply the length by 2.

Yes, that's it.  multiply the length by 2

Bob K
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 10:25:38 am »

Thanks Bob.  Looking back , it seemed a silly question but I've been using the calculator to transpose between real sizes in feet and inches and converting to metric sizes in my model Queen Mary scale of 1:200. 

Problems come in when I find another plan where the measurements are in 1:190 or 1:175 scale  (and worst still even 1:1400 scale )   purporting to be exact scaling of the real object and then trying to convert them down (or up)  to my chosen scale of 1:200.

Does this sound confusing enough.  I have sought out scale conversion charts on the web.  Some you pay for, some are free but they do not give the formula or the scale required for any future calculations.

My reasons for writing for advice is I have been measuring twice and cutting once and I'm still getting errors.  They may be small, but they do  'stick out' when viewed overall and I do so want it to be right.

Regards, one lonely modeller in a cold shed.

ken

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 10:35:59 am »

Following your Queen Mary build with great interest.

Scale you've got plans for
------------------------------    =   factor to multiply measurements by.
Scale you want to build

ie 400
   ----   =  2.0
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 10:42:34 am »

Thank goodness for ModelboatMayhem.    :-))

Takes the loneliness out of being alone.

Cheers

ken

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 05:11:21 pm »

Or because you are getting old you need to save the braincells :-)) Use this page to take all the hassle out of it..........

http://jbwid.com/scalcalc.htm, if you search the interweb you can also download an app for your phone

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 09:05:49 pm »

Thanks for the  'heads up'  Brian.

Onwards and upwards.      :-))

ken

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 04:14:14 pm »

Or if your feeling as lazy as me get a cheap pair of engineers proportional dividers off ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACCURASEE-ARTISTS-PROPORTIONAL-DIVIDER-DRAWING-PAINTING-TOOLS-/271845800968?hash=item3f4b45bc08:m:mnBoxoMtdzCGKEYTyy_rCuA

set the scale change to 1:2 , then dimensions taken off the plans from the narrow end points will  be set on the wide end points . Fastest way of doing scale change
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 02:31:52 pm »

Am I right in thinking that it doesn't matter whether you are working in metric or imperial?.

Whichever is used will provide the same size for a given scale.
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 03:32:13 pm »

Provided that both ends of the calculation are in the same type of unit (both metric or both imperial) it works by giving you the right number.  Its when you mix them that problems creep in.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 05:06:26 pm »

Its when you mix them that problems creep in

Which is what happened with one of the NASA Mars probes I believe!

Colin

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 08:03:40 pm »

Mars Climate Orbiter. September 1999.

'The primary cause of this discrepancy was that one piece of ground software supplied by Lockheed Martin produced results in a United States customary unit, contrary to its Software Interface Specification (SIS), while a second system, supplied by NASA, expected those results to be in SI units, in accordance with the SIS. Specifically, software that calculated the total impulse produced by thruster firings calculated results in pound-seconds. The trajectory calculation software then used these results - expected to be in newton-seconds - to update the predicted position of the spacecraft.

The discrepancy between calculated and measured position, resulting in the discrepancy between desired and actual orbit insertion altitude, had been noticed earlier by at least two navigators, whose concerns were dismissed. A meeting of trajectory software engineers, trajectory software operators (navigators), propulsion engineers and managers, was convened to consider the possibility of executing Trajectory Correction Maneuver-5, which was in the schedule. Attendees of the meeting recall an agreement to conduct TCM-5, but it was ultimately not done.'

Dear old Lockheed Martin. $200 million burned to a crisp.

Andy
Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 09:46:25 pm »

Or if your feeling as lazy as me get a cheap pair of engineers proportional dividers off ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ACCURASEE-ARTISTS-PROPORTIONAL-DIVIDER-DRAWING-PAINTING-TOOLS-/271845800968?hash=item3f4b45bc08:m:mnBoxoMtdzCGKEYTyy_rCuA

set the scale change to 1:2 , then dimensions taken off the plans from the narrow end points will  be set on the wide end points . Fastest way of doing scale change

Good call. :-)) :-))

Have one of these for years, work very well, even useful when constructing to check measurements.
Gunna build those other boats one day.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 10:05:03 pm »

Hi dreadnought 72 the reference you made to pound / seconds was that called a Poundal? 
I vaguely remember my physics done in S I units, found it difficult to visualise the webers and Neuton seconds and kilometers, after that as I already had a nice cozy relationship with fractions!

Do not laugh they can be very useful and often provide a quick ball park answer.
I still work in fractions, millimeters and ounces and cubic inches, it works for me!  (hate kilometers)
regards Roy

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2017, 09:01:08 am »

Am I right in thinking that it doesn't matter whether you are working in metric or imperial?.

Whichever is used will provide the same size for a given scale.

Yes, you are quite right.  The figure describing the scale is a ratio and therefore dimensionless. It doesn't matter if you make your measurements in inches, millimetres or cricket pitches. The scale calculation doesn't care.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 21 queries.