Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Talacre bridge detail  (Read 6341 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Talacre bridge detail
« on: February 09, 2017, 10:57:09 pm »

Hi all, I bought a complete Talacre on ebay a while back which was a static model.  It is quite nicely done but has a little damage and needs a good clean up.  I am OK with the RC conversion but there are no instructions/building notes and I would like to correct the wrong way round bridge.

Having looked at it and seen that the white metal fittings are a bit fragile, I am looking for advice on how to undo what is there and re-assemble without causing too much damage.
Anyone done this already?  Would appreciate their advice.
Best regards Roy

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
Re: Talacre bridge detail
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 10:24:43 am »

If it has been bonded with superglue, you may be able to dismantle the structure by carefully running some acetone in between the joints. Some clean up will probably be required though.

Otherwise it might be best to run a fine saw between the parts to separate them.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 02:13:34 pm »

Hi Roy

Is there any chance you can post a pic of the model bridge before you dis-assemble it?    Cos I have been looking at pics of other models and to me it does look as though they have been built the wrong way round - but - obviously not.     I am just wondering if have you have not seen the plans or anything; you may be under the wrong impression - just a thought though.

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 02:29:37 pm »

The bridge on the Talacre kit was incorrect when it was introduced and the manufacturers have never corrected it.

Colin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 08:35:18 pm »

Thanks for responding, mine is the wrong way round.  I have looked on the Talacre build thread and the picture of the bridge but could not work out how to un-build it.
It looks as though the 2 ladders that lead up to the bridge at either side from the deck are not needed?
regards Roy

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 08:52:13 pm »

Here is a picture of my Talacre with the bridge the other way around  (the correct way)

I hope it helps you in your quest

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 11:51:05 pm »

Thanks Bluebird, looks very nice, how far down does the bridge structure go down?
regards Roy

davem99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Live long and prosper!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 07:33:29 pm »

Hi Roy
I built this kit a while back and followed the incorrect plans. I do intend to split the steering platform and reverse to the correct position. I will need to remove the two ladders and handrails then carefully separate the platform from the bottom cabin. My side metal supports carry power to the cabin and running lights so not that easy to remove. I super glued them in place so they are not that secure and should decamp with a bit of effort. Should then be a simple job to reverse and refit and move all the bits to the correct position.
Have you managed to change yours and if so how did you fare.
Dave
Dave

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 07:45:17 pm »

Hello Ken

I have a Talacre acquired part built from EBay, including the incorrect bridge.  Your picture explains everything. Many Thanks
John

tugmad

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 08:53:37 pm »

Has anybody noticed the coal bunker tops behind the bridge? They have doors from the deck into them, that cannot be correct either

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 11:17:01 pm »

Hi dave still trying to decide where to wield the knife!
Moved over to the model railway at the moment.
regards Roy

davem99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Live long and prosper!
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 09:17:39 am »

Hi Roy
When I change mine I will post Details.
Thanks
dave
Dave

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 09:18:54 am »

Hi Dave that's very kind of you I look forward to it.
regards Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 11:31:53 pm »

Hi all, I took the plunge and sawed off the upper bridge deck.  It was glued on with 'hot glue' and very strong too.  I can see how to turn it around, so O.K with that now.
The prop shaft is non standard as the ends are threaded!!!!  I tried removing the tube but it was stuck fast.
I found a 4mm shaft which is a good fit and have used the Deans prop tube mix in the tube, will test tomorrow to see if there is any water incursion.
I am fitting a slow turning Buhler motor and a 4 blade 40 mm prop which on test looks fine and very low current but churns up a lot of water in the kitchen sink. 
The Buhler motor is labeled 12 -18 volts, it is slightly bigger than a 540 motor and I tested on 7,2 volts.  The measured on load current on 7.2 volts was just 0,25 amps, less than 2 watts!  Motor stall current was 1 amp.
I think I shall make up a 12 volt pack from 2 off 5 cell packs.  I think 7.2 volts will give scale speed but I like to be able to stop quickly.

Does anyone know the displacement of the model?  Looks about 5 -6 kgrms.
I am missing the main mast so will have to make another one, can you get odd fittings from Caldercraft kits?

Thanks again for the pictures.  I have also found tug-kennys build blog, very useful.
regards Roy

Skimmer Fan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 06:30:42 am »

roycv
Do you have the location for tug-kennys build blog as I would like to read it.

Thanks in anticipation
Bob
Regards
Skimmer Fan

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2017, 09:42:01 am »

Here you go.

Glad to be of service.     :-))

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,43099.msg435210.html#msg435210

I would be glad to answer any questions that you may have.

Cheers

ken

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2017, 03:31:57 pm »

I too purchased a part built Talacre from EBay with the bridge the wrong way round. The top is slightly loose so may have the courage one day to reverse it. The side doors on mine are slightly further aft than Kens, in line with the vents above and up against the porthole. Mine runs on an MFA Geared 2.5:1 motor, 7.2V 4.3A/Hr NiMh Batt and a 40 mm 3 bladed brass prop. Displacement is 5.5 Kg.

Interestingly I also have the Mountfleet Models Ben Ain, a 1:32 model of a virtually identical ship, and from what I can find on Google the bridge on that model, which is as same as the 'incorrect' Talacre, is the same as the real thing. The pictures are a bit small or fuzzy but at least one has the two ladders on the front side of the bridge.

John

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2017, 03:57:47 pm »

Hi Buccanear, the motor is a good logical choice how long does the battery run for? 
Thanks for the displacement info, I shall look out some lead or steel and get her down to the waterline.  In another boat I used 2p coins rolled into tubes and stuck in place, works out quite cheap!
As I have now gone up to 12 volts I have a spare Electronize esc by me.  It does mean having a separate battery for the Rx though.
I have just bought a Tx Rx charger from Howes made by Fusion NX 83, this has a trickle charger for the Tx. but the Rx. charger is a Delta peak one and so you can leave the battery in place and charge from a connection on deck and know it is fully charged.  Most of my other models are lower voltage and there is a built in bec supply in the esc. so no problem.

At the moment I am working on 3 boats at once which is working out well with one of them I can sit down to!
Looking forward to some warmer weather now.
regards Roy

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2017, 07:07:22 pm »

hi all,

just out of interest, there is a lovely book - which has been available for some time - its called  'Steam Coasters and Short Sea Traders' by SS Shotton ISBN Number 0 905184 04 1.

This book covers the majority of Coasters and also the Coaster Talacre is mentioned several times in the book - it may be of great help.

You may find this book available on Ebay at a reasonable price :-)

John
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2017, 07:58:24 pm »

Hello Roy

One more point. If you have not yet bought your motor consider the Mabuchi 555. It is a good solid motor, I have it fitted in two boats and am about to replace the MFA ones in my Tug with a pair of 555's. details on Component Shop Website. Currently £11 with mounting, and it doesn't have the noise of the gearbox.

John

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2017, 08:42:39 am »

Hi Buccaneer, just run out of 555's!  My last one is in an Ogdensburg by Glyn Guest yet to hit the water.  Found a friend with a 555 and I am hoping to buy it.  Another way of finding motors is to use a higher voltage (24 - 30 volt) on a lower voltage and they turn big props direct and as you say very quietly.
But I do have 2 more of the motors I mentioned.  When checking for power use a meter on amps to check the stall current.  If you then run the motor at 20 - 25 % of this current it should be at its most efficient point.
I have some lovely old commercial Pittman motors but they are rated for 50 volts and even at 12 volts they do not have enough oomph.  I have some identical 12 volt ones I run in a Harbour Defence Launch and top speed was fast but motors only took 0,7 amps on 8 cells.

Thanks for the heads up on the book Bluebird.
regrds Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2017, 09:07:59 am »

Hi Kenny, (or other Talacre builders) I am locating the rudder into position.  As I do not have any unfitted parts I am trying to work out the best way to hold the lower pintle for the rudder.  I see there are 2 guide holes in the hull for positioning 'something' 
I looked at your build pictures and can you tell me did you bolt strips of maybe brass either side and extend to bottom of rudder?

Another question.  I have the stern deck casting with the bollard on top.  Does this sit on a box structure to cover hole over the rudder access point?

I am progressing!  I hope to launch soon.
regards Roy

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2017, 09:56:44 am »

Here you go.     yes I can see it's rubbish, but it works.    {-)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2017, 10:47:51 am »

Hi Kenny thanks for the response.  Can you tell me what goes under the bollard casting on the aft deck please?
regards Roy

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2017, 10:01:41 am »

Not sure what you mean here, but is this the area ?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.