Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Kid on the Block from Switzerland  (Read 3049 times)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
New Kid on the Block from Switzerland
« on: February 10, 2017, 01:57:39 pm »

Ahoy dear boaters

I stumbled upon this fine board while looking for information on a potential new build.
I'm from Switzerland, 44 years old and my last build was a Graupner Seabex One - about 27 years ago  :-X
Unfortunately, the ship is long gone (sold) and I never took any pictures of the model.

Anyway, I think after all these years the model boat bug bite me again and I'm actually thinking about building a new boat.
A lot seems to have changed over the years... no more functional models from Graupner, and Robbe has folded  :o
Anyway, I seem to have found two favorites, which are the CalderCraft Imara and Resolve. No matter which, it's going to be steam powered. Now I have to decide which of the two it's going to be, right now I'm leaning towards the Imara. Maybe you guys can tip me in one or the other direction  ;)

I like the wider hull on the Imara but I also like the potential substitution of the bow gun with a working water monitor on the Resolve  {-)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
Re: New Kid on the Block from Switzerland
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 06:45:30 pm »

Welcome young man, lots of helpful people on here to sort out any problems you may have.

Len.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 08:02:29 pm »

I cannot agree with Len more, you will find hours of inspiring and quality work here to read and see.

Welcome to the Forum Tafelspitz  :}
Pond weed is your enemy

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 08:10:44 am »

Thank you for the warm welcome!
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Will01

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 09:19:59 am »

I have only just joined aswell and finding this forum a great place to be. Welcome from another newbie :)
Caldercraft kits look great, just received one and the fittings and instructions look good.
I had a look at the resolve in the armoured version. Looks nice. Not seen the other

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 02:13:07 pm »

Alea iacta est.
I just ordered an Imara building kit and the steam engine at a store just over the border in Germany (apparently there are no CalderCraft importers in Switzerland)  8)
Looking forward to the build!

Terry

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2017, 02:44:24 pm »

Hi Tafelspitz,
welcome to MBM, and hello from Vienna. Who did you buy from in Germany, always good to get recommendations, or not, of suppliers.

Cheers, Terry.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 03:00:50 pm »

Hi Terry

Thanx for the welcome!
I ordered at Modell-Klein in Weil am Rhein. I will report back once they got my order confirmed and processed.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 03:37:55 pm »

Hi Tafelspitz welcome to the forum  :-))   I hope that you do a build log - we love them on here  :-)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 03:45:21 pm »

Hey there Mark

Thank you and yes, I intend to. Since I'm also a bit into photography, this would be a great way to combine the two hobbies.
And it would also be a perfect way to ask for help whenever I get stuck, which I inevitably will.

As for now, I'm trying to catch up with 25+ years of advancement in RC electronics which I have missed  :o

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 04:00:39 pm »

I was in the same position as you with regard to RC.  I can honestly say that it has got far easier once you get your head around it.  No more crystals and simple binding between transmitter and receiver.  Also the electronic switches are great and so easy to install.  I'm really looking forward to your steam build :)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 12:44:59 pm »

I just heard back from the model store and they're ordering all the stuff on my list for me now. Also, prize's gonna be a bit less than I 've anticipated  :-))
Don't know yet how long it's gonna take, though. But in the meantime I'm gonna catch up on that RC stuff a bit.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 10:36:31 pm »

Some people pop models out very quickly while others do theirs on and off for a few years. It depends on personal time constraints. While it is easy to think that retired members have loads of free time, I know for a fact that they are busier than when they were working as then Mrs MBM member couldn't get you up early to do a day's DIY or similar.

Take your time, enjoy the project and put it to one side for a bit if it vexes you. I think having a couple of models, perhaps a simple one and a more complex one on the go at the same time allows you to go from one to another as and when.

Is your Steam engine a kit or ready built? Have a lookat Richard Simpson's Boiler room articles in Model Boats as they are very informative and cover about everything there is from restoration, rules and regs (What rules on boiler saftey do you have in Swqitzerland? to machining.
Pond weed is your enemy

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 07:31:51 am »

Some people pop models out very quickly while others do theirs on and off for a few years.

Some good advise there! But what I actually was referring to with how long it's gonna take was the ordering and delivery time to the shop :-)
Can't wait to lay my grubby hands on the kit.

Is your Steam engine a kit or ready built? Have a lookat Richard Simpson's Boiler room articles in Model Boats as they are very informative and cover about everything there is from restoration, rules and regs (What rules on boiler saftey do you have in Swqitzerland? to machining.

It's the ready built Krick Maxi Twin steam engine. Should be fun.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 08:59:10 pm »

That will look and smell lovely on the pond.
Pond weed is your enemy

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2017, 07:32:28 am »

While waiting for my kit to arrive, I was thinking a bit about some extras I intend to implement.
So far I came up with the following ideas:

• Some lighting (inside cabin and navigation lights)
  • Searchlight
  • Bilge pump
  • Fire monitor
  • Fog horn simulation
  • Cooling water exhaust (not sure if a steam boat actually has/needs this, but I like the idea and look of it enough to want it and I already have some ideas on how to build this  ok2 )

Any tips, tricks and hints are welcome. Especially recommendations for a decent and loud sounding fog horn (PCB sound board).

Big Ada

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2017, 05:06:37 pm »

Check out missyd builds, she builds wonderful Boats.

Len.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2017, 06:02:09 pm »

Some people pop models out very quickly while others do theirs on and off for a few years. It depends on personal time constraints. While it is easy to think that retired members have loads of free time, I know for a fact that they are busier than when they were working as then Mrs MBM member couldn't get you up early to do a day's DIY or similar.

Take your time, enjoy the project and put it to one side for a bit if it vexes you. I think having a couple of models, perhaps a simple one and a more complex one on the go at the same time allows you to go from one to another as and when.

You're not joking there!

I'm semi-retired, well 3 days a week now, but still don't have enough time for my interests.   
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 07:36:59 pm »

Just got word from the shop today that my Imara kit and steam engine are here  :-)
Will pick it up on saturday. Jay!  :}

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2017, 08:17:47 pm »

I have started the build today. The journey continuous in this thread. See you there  ok2
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.