Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Historic Ship Photos  (Read 1917 times)

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Historic Ship Photos
« on: February 13, 2017, 11:07:45 pm »

I recently came across this photo of the P&O ship SS Strathaird, one of the five "Strath" class ships of that line. The others were Strathnaver, Strathallan, Stratheden, and Strathmore.

The photo was taken in 1932 while she was on her maiden voyage, and is of some significance. She left Tilbury on 12th February 1932 and as the Sydney Harbour Bridge was officially opened on 19th March 1932, it's safe to assume that she would be one of the first ships photographed near that Aussie icon.

Strathaird has always rated a mention in our family, as my parents sailed to Fiji aboard her in 1936 while on their honeymoon.

The photo came from this website, which is a mine of information on P&O ships http://www.ssmaritime.com/strathaird.htm

Peter.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Historic Ship Photos
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 03:08:44 pm »

A fascinating photo Peter. I have a model of Strathnaver in my 1:1250 collection - see below. The second pic compares her with mv Bretagne the car ferry which normally sails between Portsmouth and St Malo which we have been aboard on many occasions and are due to sail on again in April. Times change!

The first three Straths had 3 funnels, the first and third of which were dummies which was a throwback to the days when ships were judged on how many funnels they had. They attracted a few jokes as when at sea it was possible to see right through the ship under the dummy funnels from other vessels. The last two ships were completed with single funnels and I believe my Father sailed on Stratheden when she was used as a troopship during the war.

Colin

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 09:00:40 pm »

Times certainly do change, Colin, in my opinion modern ships are not as aesthetically pleasing as the earlier liners. Strathaird's two dummy funnels were removed during her 1946/47 refit, according to the ssmaritime.com website.

Peter.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 09:20:17 pm »

Quite right Peter, modern ships certainly do lack the aesthetics of their predecessors. No curves in today's ships makes then easier and cheaper to build.

However, Bretagne is very well designed and pleasant internally and despite entering service in 1989 is still a good experience onboard. We have many pleasant memories of her on holidays to Brittany over the years. Arriving in St Malo at low tide on a sunny summer's morning is still something not to be forgotten.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.