Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My first sail.  (Read 2659 times)

MartinRJ

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
My first sail.
« on: March 11, 2017, 03:59:41 pm »

So I finally did it and got to sail my little Orion. I can see why this hobby is addictive. Joined the local club who were very welcoming and someone else had an Orion so  I followed them. Could sail up and down wind, and crosswind was great! No leaks, no crashes...This is fun! How many yachts can you own I wonder?

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: My first sail.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 05:10:30 pm »

Hi Martin, welcome to the sailing community.  You can have as many yachts as you want I have 6 or so, never can quite remember.
If you get the bug with sailing model yachts then see if you can get on and sail on a full size large yacht.  I crewed a few times on a 42 foot yacht and used to crew on my son's yacht (34 foot).  It gives you a better insight to how it all works and you see all the detail that goes with full size.
I also find sailing a model yacht, where you can see the boat sailing, preferable to being on the boat, where you can't.
best regards,
 Roy

MartinRJ

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 06:49:00 pm »

Thanks Roy, Got some serious lessons to learn in the subtleties of control, getting speed in the boat and setup, but for now just enjoyed. I have crewed dinghies which stands me in good stead but never been on a yacht. Looking forward to next time

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 07:44:44 pm »

Hi MartinRJ
Sailing is addictive,
As for how many yachts? It's the same answer as how long is a piece of string ☺
enjoy it ,

spud

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 01:46:07 am »

Welcome to the world of sail. The others are right, you will always want another, and then another, boat. You will have your favorite one, that is only natural. And you will also see many that are outside your budget. One thing to consider is that we are all competitive, and if there are people in the club with the same class of boat, you can always have fun little races, even if it is 'loser buys the next round of tea'. That could give a choice of second boat.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

MartinRJ

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 09:32:20 am »

Thank you for your replies. Found sailing the boat strangely satisfying, the other club members very welcoming. Very uplifting experience.

Jack D

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2017, 01:29:32 pm »

Sailing is probably the most fun you can have with RC boats, you have to think about what you're doing other than just telling the boat to go and do it. I have several non sail powered boats for when I just want to zone out or do something stupid like put them in the sea, but there's something about reading the wind and your sails that's like nothing else. At home I have five at the moment. Two Comtesses and a northwind that came from my granddad (only one of the comtesses is seaworthy, the other two aren't finished), a micro magic (tons of fun) and a trading ketch which is under construction. Different sizes and sail plans all handle differently which can make having multiple boats quite rewarding, also why I'm dabbling in old school square rigged stuff.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 05:45:12 pm »

How refreshing to hear a member so enthusiastic about his first sail! :-))
Having given up full size sailing yachts, my 'downsize' to model yachting came relatively easy, but the skill requirement is still there. The satisfaction of sending your precious model 'out there' with only your skill and experience to return it to the same spot is great. You will find many who are not 'in the know', walk past and ask, 'does it have a motor as well as sail' and you can safely reply, 'no, only skill'! Sailing yachts is SO addictive and you will want to go bigger. Good luck!
Bob.

MartinRJ

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 10:24:20 am »

Addictive is right, found myself checking weather forecasts for wind speeds, (working on the assumption my little Orion will get knocked over much above say 15mph) disappointment when they say Saturday is near gale force, planning what i need to learn on the lake, looking at bigger yachts even though I've only just got this one (helion aura and dragon 65 currently liked because they will fit in my little car) Need to buy a flask for tea supply..., will I need to move my fishing day because the club also sail on Tuesday morning? ......Thank you all for your replies, as you can see I got bit by the bug!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 10:39:11 am »

Hi remember many years ago doing an MYA dinghy sailing course and after the 6 days I got into the car to return home.  The first corner I came to I checked where the wind was coming from to work out how to turn left!
You really can get involved.
Great hobby although I have never taken an interest in racing.
regards Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.