Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Railings, folded down or up?  (Read 1963 times)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Railings, folded down or up?
« on: February 21, 2017, 09:09:42 pm »

Hi chaps.

Contributing to Joe's thread on stanchions etc and thinking ahead to when I need to fit them to my fleet, I wonder if anyone has fitted theirs folded down for action?

An image of HMS M21 shows the folded down which while not the tidiest of displays, at least shows her in action.

Now, most if not all stanchions wether they be etched brass, turned brass, formed wire or other, are sold as set up, so any attempt to create folded railings would have to be scratch built or modified.

The main 'con' I can see for having them folded down is as for anti torpedo nets, where any impact on the side or scrape against the pond edge may remove lots of stanchions and rail, but there must be ways of strengthening and/or reducing this possibility?

Ian:O)
Pond weed is your enemy

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
Re: Railings, folded down or up?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2017, 12:01:25 pm »

My take on this is that it depends if you want a display model or something to sail regularly. If the latter, apart from the damage from any collision (other boaters are not always blameless) there is the question of handling and launch/recovery. If the boat is small enough to lift single handed the problem is reduced, but a big boat requiring two hands or slings is a very different proposition.

Clumsy so and so that I am, I did not put vertical railings around the main deck of my 1:96 Type 42 and thus nothing around the aft helicopter deck. Not gold standard but in my opinion better than constantly having to repair damage. It does get displayed on occasion but is primarily a working boat.
Don't Assume Check

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 08:12:26 pm »

Thanks for that insight Dougal. M19 will be cradle launched so will probably go for raised rails.
Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2017, 01:56:51 pm »

I thought most railing when folded down for action folded inboard, certainly for capital ships - any pictures?

Cheers

Geoff

dreadnought72

• Full Mayhemer
  • Wood butcher with ten thumbs
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2017, 02:07:50 pm »

There's this classic photograph. 'Dreadnought cleared for action'.

Stanchions inboard, along with the canvas canopy supports. The anti-torpedo net davits are left over the side. Oh, and the glass from the searchlights has been removed.

Bit of an H&S 'trip hazard' on deck ... but if you were up there, that'd be the least of your problems.  %%

Andy

Enjoying every minute sailing W9465 Mertensia

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2017, 05:05:19 pm »

Another consideration is that when cleared for action ships boats were often towed behind, especially in the early eras.

I usually build for normal sailing, so stanchions etc are fitted in the regular raised positions.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 21 queries.