Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building the CalderCraft Imara  (Read 34975 times)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Re: Building the CalderCraft Imara
« Reply #275 on: June 21, 2018, 09:10:04 AM »

So then let's just wait and see if something hatches. If so it then probably also scuttles  :police:
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #276 on: June 26, 2018, 08:41:09 PM »

Another batch of white metal parts filed, sanded and cleaned. Ready for primer. There is so much detail stuff on the cabin alone it's almost a bit overwhelming. But one step after the other, I guess.
Once again, the plans are of not much help, not being in scale. But at least I can get a rough idea of what goes whereish.
I'm also glad about all of the pictures of finished Imaras floating about on the net to clarify this and that and also to get inspirations about colors for different parts  :-)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Steaming Her up in the Tub
« Reply #277 on: July 01, 2018, 06:48:46 PM »

Because I otherwise have a bit of a boring task at hand (cutting lengths of wire for some grates), I decided to fill the test tub (aka our bath tub) and give her a Steam Up for testing purposes.
I'm happy to report that it all went very well. The aggregates are running smooth and the water stayed outside  :-)

I thought maybe you'd like to watch her, too, so I uploaded a short video of the event to YouTube. Have fun and let me know what you think!

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #278 on: July 01, 2018, 08:46:58 PM »

Nice!! She' s a real beauty and I look forward to seeing her on the water. :-))
Hama

derekwarner_decoy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #279 on: July 01, 2018, 10:41:15 PM »

Goodness Dom...I know I have mentioned some time back..... ;) ...but those engines tick over at low speed & start-up beautifully  :-))...,. Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #280 on: July 02, 2018, 07:19:06 AM »

Nice!! She' s a real beauty and I look forward to seeing her on the water. :-))
Hama

Thank you, Hama! Still a long way to go but at least she floats already  :-)

Goodness Dom...I know I have mentioned some time back..... ;) ...but those engines tick over at low speed & start-up beautifully  :-)) ...,. Derek

Yes, Derek, and you were right that the water resistance would smooth things even more than back when I test ran her in the dry dock.
BTW, I also put on the cabin structure (not on the video) to see whether this would affect the performance of the gas burner, which it didn't at all. Next time I will try it with the windows covered.

Dom

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #281 on: July 08, 2018, 08:15:43 PM »

The towing hook is painted (but not yet weathered) and glued in place. No actual towing going to take place with this white metal part, though.
Cutting and sanding the brass rods for the grates was a lot of tedious work, but they're all done and painted now.
Rope guard rails are starting to take shape. When I drilled the holes for the latter I bored into one of the wires leading to the speaker underneath. D'oh!  %)
I ran out of stanchion bases, so I 3D-printed a couple more. I love that printer  :police:

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #282 on: July 17, 2018, 08:35:20 PM »

Installing the rope guard rails after giving them a coat of paint or six. Incidentally, the Tamiya brand of spray paint must no longer be sold here in Switzerland due to environmental and health issues, so I switched to Revell.
When drilling the holes for the guard rails, the plastic chipped a bit in some places and I had to use filler to mend the flaws.
The lower water tank is almost finished but not yet glued in place.
Also building and preparing some more bits and parts to help procrastinate building the wooden cabin  ok2

I'm sure I got the wooden steering gear box wrong, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how this part is meant to be. Neither the plans nor pics from the web were of any help so I decided to ad lib that part a bit. Looks a bit (too) creative maybe, but after sanding and filling, we'll see what it looks like.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #283 on: July 18, 2018, 08:20:40 PM »

I don't know, but that steering gear box is a bit of a mess. So I sat down and replicated it with the CAD program. Will print it tomorrow, I hope it fits the white metal front.
I'm not much of a wood worker  :((

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #284 on: July 19, 2018, 08:37:51 PM »

I printed a prototype of the gear box and it fits nicely. However, I noticed that there's very limited space between the flagstaff and the funnel since the deck is shorter than it should be according to the plans ( I remember reading that other Imara builders ran into the same problem).
I guess I'm going to shorten the gear box a bit, lest the steering wheel sits right next to the funnel  %)
The rope guards are now securely glued in place and paint has been applied to the joints. Speaker re-mounted below deck.
Some woodwork for the cabin is also looming. Provided I can figure out what goes where. Help!  {:-{
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up