Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Building the CalderCraft Imara  (Read 166642 times)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Re: Building the CalderCraft Imara
« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2017, 07:02:21 pm »

I don't believe this. I had another stinker of a rattle can  <:(
Bought two cans of brownish red oxide for the lower part of the hull. The first one worked like a charm, but the second one started behaving a bit like that dreadful can of Agent Orange: dry powder exiting the can. I can only assume that one of the two cans was sitting in the shop for too long and part of the solvent evaporated. I always give all the cans a very thorough and vigorous shake, this can't be the problem (and the first one was OK, as I said).
Well, not much of a problem, provided that I can get my hands on a proper can  {:-{

I don't know if you can see it on the pictures below, most of the color is from the good, first can but the white patches is from the bad one where the dry color didn't stick.
This really can't be true.

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Proper Pain Job Part II
« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2017, 08:48:22 pm »

I can only echo my sentiment from earlier: what a difference a proper can of paint makes. Today I bought not one but two cans of brownish red (or is that reddish brown?  :-) ), just to be sure, for good measure.
And what can I say: mucho better - like a can of spray paint ought to behave. The result was accordingly convincing. This time I left some of the rough, powdery patches from the earlier Can of Death in place on purpose to give it that slightly rusty, weathered look that I came to like from the Orange Disaster last week. I think it looks the part.
Next up is determining her waterline (talkum powder is at hand) and spray painting the upper part of the hull in Tamiya Black.

I also got some pots of paint and started hand painting some of the fittings. I like doing that - it's almost meditational. And I can listen to some good music or to an audiobook or twenty  {-)

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2017, 09:06:26 pm »

Revell do some good colours, I bought some to paint an Albacore some years back and the acrylics were a delight to use.

Re the rattle cans, did you buy them from the same shop? If so, I would avoid them and find another stockist, not always easy I know.

Your hull looks good  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #128 on: July 25, 2017, 06:32:28 am »

Thank you!
Nay, the two cans were from different shops and they're not even from the same manufacturer. My guess is that these two colors are not exactly bestsellers and sat on the shelf for too long... but I wonder. There's no exp date on any of the cans, nor a lot number or anything. How does one keep track of one's cans, age-wise?

Anyway, for the black paint job I have Tamiya rattle cans and I'm positive that they won't cause me any trouble. And after that it will primarily be hand painting.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Waterline
« Reply #129 on: July 25, 2017, 08:28:08 pm »

After cleaning and polishing the hull, I noticed that there were some parts on the A-frames where the color wouldn't stick, probably due to a layer of powder from the bad can. Will have to amend this, but right now it's raining and I can't go outside for this until our lawn has dried up.

In the meantime, I made a nifty waterline tool to draw the, you guessed it, waterline. This gave me a good excuse to finally tidy up my workbench a bit.

On the coloring front, I tried a little bit of weathering on some kind of hatch. What do you think?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: July 25, 2017, 08:31:56 pm »

If you just have a small area to touch up then squirt some of the spray paint into the can cap and use a soft brush. Usually blends in very well I have found.

Colin

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #131 on: July 25, 2017, 08:34:27 pm »

Brilliant idea, Colin. Thanks!

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Paint it Black
« Reply #132 on: July 30, 2017, 08:14:25 am »

Tamiya rattle cans may be small and expensive, but they sure are of good quality. I used up two cans of matte black on the upper section of the hull.
Unfortunately the masking tape came off a bit in places which led to a less than perfect line. Some manual amendment necessary.

I think she slowly starts to look like a ship  ;)

Now as for the white waterline, I think some of you guys tend to use some kind of adhesive band for this?
Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Dom

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: July 30, 2017, 08:49:43 am »

Mask with Tamya tape paint along the edge with your Base colour, black for the top tape and red for the bottom then any paint bleed will not show, over paint in white.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #134 on: July 30, 2017, 12:00:43 pm »

Mask with Tamya tape paint along the edge with your Base colour, black for the top tape and red for the bottom then any paint bleed will not show, over paint in white.

Thank you, but I'm afraid I don't get exactly what you mean. Could you please elaborate a bit?

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2017, 12:24:02 pm »

OK, the problem you described with the "bleed" of paint is caused by the paint creeping under the masking tape. If you apply the tape then paint along the edge (black and red in your case) then the "bleed will be the same colour as the hull. When you paint your white line you will not experience any bleed and the white line on removal of the tape will be crisp and sharp.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2017, 12:36:53 pm »

Ah, now I got it. Sorry for being thick slow. Great, I will try this. Thank you!  8)

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #137 on: July 31, 2017, 06:46:06 am »

I have always used pin stripe for the boot line, I go to my local Auto paint suppler.
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2017, 06:16:03 am »

I have always used pin stripe for the boot line, I go to my local Aoto paint suppler.

Thanks! I also considered this, but I couldn't get ahold on any auto paint suppliers in the area. I think I'll go with the masking and painting option.
I have painted up a small dummy made from an old toy car for some practicing. The tamiya masking tape should arrive by way of mail today.

In the meantime I glued the aft deck plankings in place and mounted the wash ports (or whatever they are called) to the bulwark. Also some more fittings built and painted.

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2017, 08:08:41 am »

Hi Tafelspitz

Your boat is looking good, do you have a sign manufacturer near you? if you have then they some times they have scrap vinyl that they may be willing to let you have.

fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2017, 10:13:40 am »

Thanks, Fred! Good idea  :-))
BTW, is that the Imara on your avatar?

BTW, on another note I learned that Cyanacrylate super glue dissolves Tamiya paint. Who would have thought.

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2017, 02:08:11 pm »

Hi Tafelspitz

No it is the Perseverance from 1803, back in the early 90's I got a hull from S.W.M Models along with a set of templates, and now that I have been retired for the last three years i now have the time to start working on her, I am also working on a Mobile Model Marine Lady "T" along side her.

I used to be into Model Submarines but I was left a Tug by an old friend and that started my off on tug's.

I all most forgot to say I always get my red oxide and grey undercoat and any body filler I need from my local auto body shop suppler. as it works out cheaper than getting it from the model shop or from Halfords.

All the best

Fred   

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #142 on: August 07, 2017, 06:52:22 pm »

Some more progress on the deck planking and some work done on the hatch. In the meantime I'm drawing the white waterline, fingers crossed that it will turn out well.
And just because I had the SLR camera out, a nice shot of the engine for your viewing pleasure  :-)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #143 on: August 07, 2017, 08:38:49 pm »

They will work well for you  :-)) No stalling and lots of power with four cylinders I am sure.
Pond weed is your enemy

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2017, 08:52:38 pm »

:-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Down to the Waterline
« Reply #145 on: August 12, 2017, 08:38:22 am »

OK, the problem you described with the "bleed" of paint is caused by the paint creeping under the masking tape. If you apply the tape then paint along the edge (black and red in your case) then the "bleed will be the same colour as the hull. When you paint your white line you will not experience any bleed and the white line on removal of the tape will be crisp and sharp.

I don't now whether you guys get my occasional song references or not, but during the last week or so I was down to the waterline  ok2
It took some effort, not least 5 (count 'em, five) coats of white until I was completely satisfied with the covering. Thanks to steam up's advice, which was well worth following, I ended up with only minimal bleeding of the white color, namely around some of the rivets, which was amended in no time at all  :-))
I think the white waterline makes all the difference in the world as far as the paint job is concerned. Well worth the effort.
The line is a tad slanted in some places, bit I doubt anyone will notice once she's on the pond.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #146 on: August 15, 2017, 08:03:32 pm »

Railing time.
All the railing parts are sanded, rounded and primed.
And the steam engines are again mounted in their place. Also, I tried to apply some weathering to the deck.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Some more Minor Progress
« Reply #147 on: August 16, 2017, 08:09:37 pm »

Some more minor progress. Painted the railings black, and the hatch is now completed. Glued in the bollards.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: August 17, 2017, 01:09:59 am »

Great progress :-))....certainly looking forward to the chapter on the steam installation O0........ Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #149 on: August 17, 2017, 08:19:11 pm »

Thanks Derek! Looking forward to steamin' her up as well. Will take some time, though. So many things to do, so little time.

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.