Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: Building the CalderCraft Imara  (Read 166653 times)

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Building the CalderCraft Imara
« Reply #150 on: August 19, 2017, 05:25:42 pm »

Nice to see the progress, love to see that hull under steam power.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #151 on: August 20, 2017, 08:20:39 pm »

Thanks!

Today I finished the railings. Pictures show the progress, glueing them in place, sanding the connections and connecting the lower stern section with the upper one using some Milliputty, and finally covering it up in black.
Next up manufacturing of the bulwark stanchions (hence the dremel tool at hand)  :-)

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #152 on: August 20, 2017, 08:32:59 pm »

She gets better all the time  :-)) The paint problems were an ordeal and I hope they are over now.
Pond weed is your enemy

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #153 on: August 24, 2017, 08:50:59 pm »

Thank you!  :-)

This is just a small update after I finished the stanchions. I will need to amend the black paint in some small places that got chipped away during the installation process. No big deal.
The stanchions were hand painted. I like hand painting, it has a calming and almost therapeutic effect  :-)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Paintbox
« Reply #154 on: August 29, 2017, 08:32:40 pm »

Last weekend I made myself a paintbox for spray painting (priming) fittings, parts and pieces. It also makes carrying the stuff outside and back easier.
Plus It gave me something to test run my new Proxxon circular saw  :}

Up on the table is the next batch of white metal fittings.
One of the next tasks will be sanding and fitting the two parts of the upper structure. For some reason, that's something I keep procrastinating.
Anyway, next week will be off since we're on vacation. See you guys the week after the next.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #155 on: September 13, 2017, 04:11:35 pm »

Hey guys and gals,

after a great vacation in the Swiss mountains (done some hiking and photographing), I'm back at the build.
Some minor progress today: added some fittings and sanded the machine house in shape. I'm not impressed with the mould quality of this part as it has (had) some thick seams on the side along the rivets.
I had to sand these all down and fill the gap with car body filler.

Speaking of sanding - I also got myself a small Proxxon Disc Sander. Nice addition to the workshop  :-)

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: September 13, 2017, 11:51:02 pm »

Do you know about the block of crepe you can get to clean the sanding disk ,this gives you a lot longer disk life.
Axminster Tools  do them I think .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

maffen

• Shipmate
« Reply #157 on: September 14, 2017, 07:52:46 am »

Do you know about the block of crepe you can get to clean the sanding disk ,this gives you a lot longer disk life.
Axminster Tools  do them I think .
David
a piece of rubber sole of a shoe is also great for cleaning disks and cheaper

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Chim chiminey Chim chiminey Chim chim cher-ee!
« Reply #158 on: September 14, 2017, 06:47:11 pm »

Thank you for the advice, I didn't know that. Good idea!

I did some major sanding today, albeit not with the disc sander. I rubbed down the main structure (the main house, or whatever you call it in english). This was a messy piece of work but I eventually got it done.
Sanding is not my favorite job, but hey, somebody needs to do it  8)

And now, ladies and gents, drumroll please: I finally know where the funnel is going to be located. This is important because it decides where the funnel of the steam engine will sit and I can now finally install the board with the steam engine  :-))
My guess is that within this month you may be able to witness a test run of the steam engine. Stay tuned  :police:

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #159 on: September 14, 2017, 06:48:24 pm »

I hate it how this forum software automagically changes the font size of ones posts sometimes  >>:-( <*<
Sorry about that. I have no idea how to change it back to a legible font size.

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #160 on: September 14, 2017, 07:04:22 pm »

It's a problem we seem to be getting these days.

I have altered the text above for you.  You only have 30 mins to  'modify' any letter, once it's typed.

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #161 on: September 14, 2017, 08:28:58 pm »

Thank you, Ken! I owe you a beer and a half.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: September 15, 2017, 02:47:35 am »

Do......what is the ID on the oval shaped glass/plastic shaped chimney from the kit?.........

I cannot see the material listing for the Krick boiler chimney, is it grey painted brass?.....or aluminium?

Either way the temperature of the actual boiler chimney tube I expect would be about 100 + degrees C.....

Are you OK temperature wise for clearance?...

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #163 on: September 16, 2017, 12:22:09 pm »

what is the ID on the oval shaped glass/plastic shaped chimney from the kit?

Derek, I think it is aluminium. There should be enough clearance around it for the temperature to not be an issue.
The ID of the oval chimney is 4, it's made from GRP.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #164 on: September 17, 2017, 05:55:16 pm »

Phew! One thing you don't want is a saggy funnel  %% Seriously though, I am looking forward to see your first trial steam up with the plant in situ.

Pond weed is your enemy

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #165 on: September 17, 2017, 06:03:08 pm »

Me too

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Grey Funnel Lines
« Reply #166 on: September 17, 2017, 07:33:14 pm »

Slowly getting there, boys. Besides working on Imara, I made a Cross-Cut Sled for my circular saw today. Most useful accessory indeed  :-))
After that, I was able to make some woodwork which will keep the plant (and the gas cartridge) in place while still easily removable for service.

I also cut out the hole in the roof of the superstructure for the funnel. Since Imara's funnel is not symmetrical at the base, I had to turn the plant slightly so that the exhaust tube sits in the center of the funnel.
I will probably clad the inside of the funnel with epoxy to prevent it from sagging and then paint it with stove enamel which I have sitting around from the smoker BBQ.

I also made the connecting tubes from the plant to the oscillators, but I still have to solder the end fittings. That's a job for tomorrow.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
All the Steam Connections Made
« Reply #167 on: September 20, 2017, 07:16:09 am »

Another step towards steaming up the boat. I have now all the connections made, both gas and steam.
There was a small ordeal with one of the connections I made earlier, though. The pipe that leads from the boiler to the gas regulator valve somehow wouldn't hold. Turns out I used a wrong locknut. Since I got the valve from a different vendor than the boiler, they're using a differently threaded system that isn't quite compatible. So I had to unsolder the fitting and replace the nut. But after that I realized that the fitting and the nut aren't compatible. So I had to unsolder yet again and replace the fitting with a small adaptor tube and the correct fitting  ;D
After I had sorted it all out, everything turned out to fit nicely, at last.
Next step will be leak testing all the gas pipes and connections to make sure everything is, well, leak-proof (gonna use some soap and water). We don't want any gas leaks inside the vessel  :embarrassed:
If everything goes well, I expect the first trial steam up this weekend. Keep your fingers crossed.

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: September 20, 2017, 07:34:58 am »

You have an audience waiting to see the  big day looking great

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Gimme Steam!
« Reply #169 on: September 23, 2017, 03:23:21 pm »

Today was the Big Day, I steamed her up for the first time. Everything went well and I filmed it not with one, not with two, but with three HD cameras for your viewing pleasure.

Now if I only knew how to use iMovie to edit it  {:-{
I guess I need to watch some tutorials on youtube first to get me started. Stay tuned.

Some things I learned during the steam-up:
- One of the machines is running slower. I suspect the inner nut on the propshaft is a bit too tight. Should be easy to amend.
- One of the machines has a slightly runny valve. I guess I need to tighten the top screw a tad.
- The portside propeller is running in the wrong direction. I need to reprogram the servo control on the rc.

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #170 on: September 23, 2017, 03:43:04 pm »

Looking forward to seeing this beauty in full flow.

Stewart
"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Gimme Steam!
« Reply #171 on: September 23, 2017, 09:09:34 pm »

Alright, ladies and Gentlemen. I made a short (approx. 5 minutes) video of the steam-up. Here it is in high definition but beware, it's over 500 MB.
Let me know what you think  :-)

If you have a fast connection, you may download a better quality file here.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: September 23, 2017, 10:35:09 pm »

Well congratulations on her first steaming Dom.....[I used the first download link]

The engine speed control is very realistic [stdb engine 4:44 minutes] displays extremely smooth engine speed control  :-))

I am sure you will find even greater control with the a load on the propellers [hull in water]

We did see a wisp of steam from the Port engine a few times......I would not be concerned....this is totally normal

I am also sure the manufacturers instructions will talk about using a greater flow of steam oil, and journal lubricating  during initial running ...bed in of the mating faces etc......

Sit back & have a beer......Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #173 on: September 25, 2017, 06:22:33 am »

Thanks for your encouraging words, Derek!
It sure is fun to see some pieces finally falling into place.

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #174 on: September 25, 2017, 07:10:02 am »

Looks great get it in the water lol

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.