Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Building the CalderCraft Imara  (Read 166633 times)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Re: Building the CalderCraft Imara
« Reply #225 on: January 21, 2018, 08:29:48 am »

Printing the rope crate in woody filament didn't turn out well and I had to abort the print after the bottom layers. The woody filament is apparently a bit too brittle for this delicate structure.
I then went with the standard filament that came with the printer. This turned out very well. It took about five hours to print. There are some rough edges I will need to sand and of course I will yet have to cut away the brim around the bottom (this is being built to prevent warping of the build when it is cooling down).
I guess after sanding and painting, it will look good  :-)

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #226 on: January 23, 2018, 08:06:11 pm »

Rope crate now cleaned and sanded, feet attached and ready for priming and painting  :police:
The oil tank is also glued together and ready for a slab of paint. Showing these two parts in situ. What do you think?

We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #227 on: January 23, 2018, 08:13:07 pm »

Unless you planned to keep the crate unpainted, you chose right to re print it in the other polymer and you can paint something to look like wood with a little effort and a pallette of brown paints.

All in all, you have printed some crisp pieces that should last for longer without joints that might split over time due to damp ingress etc.

The seas's the limit for you now  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #228 on: January 23, 2018, 08:39:22 pm »

Yes, I'm definitely gonna paint it. In fact, it is now already primed. We'll see what I can do with my color palette and the weathering kit  :-)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #229 on: January 23, 2018, 08:50:37 pm »

Dom....some of these discrete rust weathering is superb  :-)) ............ Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #230 on: January 24, 2018, 06:46:04 am »

Thank you, Derek! My "rust" is a combination consisting of Rustall and Raw Sienna acryllic paint.

Incidentally, I just have to ask: you do know that you can take screenshots very easily and conveniently directly from your computer without the need of a camera, right? 

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #231 on: January 24, 2018, 07:21:50 am »

Yes Dom.........nice rust......"our Martin has preached & constantly reminds me in the virtues of 'screenshots very easily and conveniently directly from your computer without the need of a camera'

However in my aging years ......I find chewing a bone sometimes nicer than a steak dinner  :-X

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #232 on: January 29, 2018, 07:33:27 am »

After some painting and aging, the rope crate is now finished along with the capstan and the oil tank. Aft deck is slowly taking shape.
I have no idea what the wooden barrel is for, but I liked it so much that I decided to keep it around  :-)

I guess I need to make some ropes soon (ropeway kit is at hand but not yet built).

Incidentally, I've uploaded my 3D designs to Thingiverse (and intent do do so with future part designs), just in case somebody is interested in them in the future. There's nothing wrong with the parts from the kit, but it gives you an alternative  ok2

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #233 on: February 09, 2018, 07:56:21 am »

As the work on the aft deck section continues, I have one more water pump to cover.

Not sure if I ever showed you the bilge pump outlet. It's the bent black tube and I hope that it won't see too much usage once on the pond.

Picking up on an idea I had earlier, I intend to have a sailor with a water hose that can spray some water off the boat.
I designed and printed a fire hydrant like structure. It is hollow so I can thread the hose through the opening and down below deck to the pump.

Question for you guys and gals: as I'd like the hose to be black or darkish brown, does silicone rubber take on Acrylic paints?

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #234 on: February 18, 2018, 09:28:06 pm »

I finally mounted the rudder linkage cover grate and will leave the aft section be for now. Moving on to the main structure.
Doors and window frames need yet some processing, then I will have to cut and drill some holes.
Once again it is a pity that the plans are not to scale, it would be so helpful if I could take measurements directly from them.
But then it would be too easy, I guess  %%

Ianlind

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #235 on: February 19, 2018, 12:19:16 am »

I think you'll find that nothing will stick  to your silicone tube.

Ian.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #236 on: February 19, 2018, 09:08:31 am »

You will find it very difficult if not impossible to get anything to stick to silicone, be that paint or glue. The answer is obvious. Check out ebay in the car spares section for coloured silicone hose, yours looks to be 6mm so it is readily available for windscreen washers, comes in many colours so you could have red, black, brown blue etc. Apparently those hatchback car customisers use it by the truckload for tarting up their car engines.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #237 on: February 19, 2018, 08:46:27 pm »

Thanks for the heads-up, guys.
I will look for some coloured silicone tubing, then  :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #238 on: February 20, 2018, 08:04:00 pm »

I had a quick look for silicone paint and silicone based paints but found nothing but tools made of silicone!

Pre coloured hose is a good idea  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #239 on: February 21, 2018, 09:26:35 am »

Thank you  :-)
I shall go out into the wild wide web in search for some pre colored silicone tubing.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #240 on: March 12, 2018, 01:36:51 pm »

Not too much work done recently, but now I started work on the large structure. Drilling holes for windows and doors and gratings.
Again, the plans are of limited help but I guess I will get there eventually. Identifying all of the correct white metal parts is also a challenge since some stuff has been changed since the plans and the manual went in print back when. But it's all part of the fun, I keep telling me  :}

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #241 on: April 15, 2018, 08:50:04 pm »

Miss me a lot recently?  :}
Had some other stuff coming up, like setting up a new computer after the old one died a hardware failure death. Glad I had everything backed up properly. Do back up your stuff, friends.

Anyway, back in the shop I cut out all of the windows and other openings. Glued in some of the window frames and noticed that not all of them had exactly the same size, so I'm left with some gaps. Some car body filler coming up. I already missed that stuff  :D

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #242 on: May 15, 2018, 07:25:27 pm »

Not much time lately, so here's just a tiny update.
Window frames are now glued in, filled and sanded.
I started to make a couple of wooden parts to mount the funnel. I will also need some wooden framework for the speaker and the air intake fan (next up on this channel, stay tuned  {-) [size=78%]). Now that the temperatures are up I can then start spray painting stuff again [/size] :D

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #243 on: May 16, 2018, 10:27:09 pm »

Lovely work  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #244 on: May 17, 2018, 08:08:00 pm »

Thanks!  :-)

The funnel will be removable for... whatever reason there may arise. It is mounted by means of three 3mm screws. The wooden parts are going to be glaced later.
After that I tested a new gadged, the circle cutter. The hole will hold the speaker. Worked like a charm and produced a perfectly clean and circular hole. Recommended  :-))
After cutting the planks that will hold the speaker plate I called it a day. Next time I will glue them in. A small frame for the air intake fan is also still missing.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #245 on: May 17, 2018, 08:30:40 pm »

It looks like you could cut rings with that tool as well.
Pond weed is your enemy

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #246 on: May 17, 2018, 08:38:47 pm »

Yes, that's correct. There's also an extension arm that allows you to cut holes up to approx. 30 cm, but my drill press is not large enough for it.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #247 on: May 22, 2018, 02:27:20 pm »

Test fitting the speaker after mounting the wooden frame. The speaker will sound through the portholes on the upside of the engine housing while the hull serves as sound box  :-)
The steam oscillators are just beneath the speaker, so it may need some shielding as they tend to spray oil and water around as they run.

The doors are primed and ready for glueing. In fact they're already glued to the structure but I haven't got a picture to prove it.  :police:

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #248 on: May 25, 2018, 07:20:09 am »

Doors are in place and also the vent grilles on both sides.
The single vent on the port side covers the small 12V air intake fan.
Funnel is not yet sanded, I just put it on there to show what it will eventually look like. Soon it will be time for priming and painting.

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #249 on: May 25, 2018, 07:48:35 am »

In your first photo why is their a vent cowl stuck on top of the companionway on the starboard side? This is the strangest place I've ever seen one, surely if air was needed here, just open the door in the companionway!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.