Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Building the CalderCraft Imara  (Read 166629 times)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Re: Building the CalderCraft Imara
« Reply #250 on: May 25, 2018, 08:04:12 am »

Good question, Brian.
I have no idea and all I can say is "it's in the plans" and practically all of the other Imara models on the web also have it  :-)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #251 on: May 25, 2018, 06:45:47 pm »

Hmmm, could be a confusion by the person who drew up the plans methinks! I found this photo of Imara (which was renamed Perseverance) There is a cowl vent shown but it clearly rises from the deck next to the companionway, slightly to the front and port side of it. Above the companionway you can see the ships bell, which would be hung on the fore part of the superstructure - you wouldn't see this if there was a cowl sprouting from the companionway.
But you are correct in that every model of the ship on Google has the cowl vent on the 'shed' :}

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #252 on: May 25, 2018, 10:46:23 pm »

You can purchase silicone hose in black.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #253 on: May 31, 2018, 08:30:35 pm »

You can purchase silicone hose in black.

Yes, I'm onto it, thank you!

Anyway, I designed and 3D-printed some door hinges to go with all of the doors and I think they fit the model well and add a touch of reality. They will need a slab of weathering here and there to simulate old grease and stuff, but for now I'll let them be. Door handles not yet added.
Inside the cabin, I mounted the fan and the speaker. Ah and yes, it's spray painted white with two coats of clear varnish.
While the superglue cured, I car body filled the seams of the funnel, but I don't have a picture of that yet.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #254 on: May 31, 2018, 08:32:19 pm »

That's all very neat Tafelspitz, you are making a superb job of the model.
Colin

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #255 on: May 31, 2018, 08:36:35 pm »

Thank you, Colin!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #256 on: June 01, 2018, 02:04:36 am »

With the Pillow fan, are you pulling in air for combustion?...if so, this is actually typical of coal fired boilers where fans pressurised the boiler spaces by a few PSI over atmosphere to aid combustion

So you may need to provide some shim trunking from around the fan 's round cowling, down toward the boiler gas burner area location......

A consequence of not doing this is that the air that the fan draws in will be lost to atmosphere out of the portlights or any air spaces between the deck & the superstructure

The second consequence of no direct air trunking is that the boiler burner will need to draw substantial amounts of free air [oxygen] to maintain combustion....the only way to achieve this is to have a great number of portlights or mesh grill's & doors open

Remember a gas flame with insufficient oxygen will burn with a yellow flame, where as all of your trials without the superstructure fitted yielded a bluish flame at the burner....when you fit a superstructure, you may loose the ability to see the flame >>:-(

Shim brass of 0.003" thick is an excellent material to use for trunking......it folds well, cut easily with kitchen scissors, and all joints can be soft soldered to make a rigid trunking

[it also returns you to your school days of developing shapes from paper of cardboard %)]

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #257 on: June 01, 2018, 06:27:54 am »

Your rope cradle has inspired me.
I think I need one. I'll have a go at it at 1/50.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #258 on: June 01, 2018, 06:53:55 am »

Your rope cradle has inspired me.
I think I need one. I'll have a go at it at 1/50.

You may download the file here at Thingiverse if you want and scale it to your needs. At 1/50 you may want to print it with a smaller nozzle size (0,25mm), though.

With the Pillow fan, are you pulling in air for combustion?
(...)

So you may need to provide some shim trunking from around the fan 's round cowling, down toward the boiler gas burner area location
(...)

Derek,

yes, the fan is intended to help keep the fire burning  :-)
Actually I was planning on keeping things simple. I will go with either of three possible scenarios:
- Using only the fan
- Keep the windows and portholes open
- Keep the windows and portholes open + using the fan

I guess after test running the machine with the structure in place once the funnel is installed, I will see what is needed. I can then use tape to close and open the windows.
Shim trunking would be only the last resort if everything else failed...

Dom

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #259 on: June 01, 2018, 11:00:03 pm »

Thanks Tafelspitz, that's very generous of you.
I'll try one next time I have an order from Shapeways. Unfortunately the postage costs to NZ mean that I need to order several items at once to keep costs down.
In the meantime I might try to make a similar cradle from styrene strip.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #260 on: June 01, 2018, 11:16:38 pm »

Having just caught up with your build I have to say she's a beauty - great work Dom. :-))

Regards,

Ray.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #261 on: June 03, 2018, 08:42:53 am »

Thank you, Ray!
While I'm quite happy with the overall result, I wish that I had a bit more experience and skill (and yes, patience) when some detail work is concerned.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #262 on: June 04, 2018, 07:27:26 am »

Funnel time  :-)
After sanding and filling (and sanding again) I now glued in the base plate which then will screw to the roof of the cabin.
I glazed the inside of the funnel with a coat of epoxy for added stability, to prevent the structure from sagging with the hot exhaust fumes from the steam engine. It took ages for the epoxy to cure and I had to constantly keep the funnel in a rotary motion for almost an hour until it was viscose enough to let it sit alone.  <*<  But it was worth the effort as it left me with a smooth and uniform surface.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #263 on: June 06, 2018, 08:23:23 pm »

I glued in the top of the funnel. A very heavy piece of white metal, which isn't necessarily what one likes to sit so far up above the water line. But there you have it.
After filling and sanding some more, it is now ready for priming and spray painting.

While the primer cures, I test ran the sound module with the speaker. Holy god, that thing is LOUD! I probably scared all the cats away and almost busted the window of my workshop  {-)  Let's hope I'm not gonna drain the lake with that honker  :-)

Dom

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #264 on: June 07, 2018, 08:29:49 pm »

Finally it was time for a slab of paint. Perfect conditions outside for spray painting: nice and warm and not too windy. Only the occasional bug sitting onto the wet paint  %)
Test fitting the painted funnel onto the upper structure and everything fits nicely. I also drilled holes and glued in the rig lugs.

Next up: filing and sanding a bunch of white metal parts. May be a while until the next update.

Dom

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #265 on: June 10, 2018, 07:16:59 pm »

Something about the appearance of the funnel bugged me, so I amended it with a white band between the buff and black. I think this makes all the difference in the world, doesn't it?
I moved the hull up into my office to free some space on the workbench since I'm now mostly working on the main upper structure.
Speaking of which, this also needs a resistor bank for the lights. The bank holds resistors for 6 warm white LEDs, one red and one green navigation light LED.
Although I probably won't need all 6 white lights, I like to have some spares. You never know  O0

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #266 on: June 11, 2018, 08:03:06 pm »

Interior lights are working. I marked the pins for the red and green LEDs with red and green color so I will remember where to connect them when the time comes (they need different resistors from the whilte LEDs). Yes, I know I'm a genius  {-)
I fettled and sanded another batch of white metal parts. Some of them go to the funnel and some are bits and pieces for the cabin.
I noticed that one of four beams that will hold the small platforms beneath the life boats is misshapen, so I replaced it with a 3D print.
Some other smaller white metal parts will also be replaced with 3D prints - the door handles and some latches, for instance.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #267 on: June 12, 2018, 07:24:05 pm »

A batch of fresh door handles and latches cooling down after the print.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #268 on: June 13, 2018, 08:19:05 pm »

Door handles are now glued to the doors. They're small and tiny but I think they look the part.
I then started assembling the evaporator. --> Any suggestions on the color scheme for this part? What would this have looked like?

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #269 on: June 15, 2018, 07:58:09 am »

Slowly outfitting the funnel. The 4,5mm o.d. aluminium tubing for the pipes was missing from the kit (as is the 6mm one), but not a great deal. Or so you'd think. All hardware stores and model shops only carry 4 or 5mm tubes. I then went with a 4mm brass tubing since the holes in the white metal clamps are on the small side anyway (due to missaligned mouldings, it seems). The steam whistle is also made from the 4mm brass tube. I cut the lip with the dremel cutting disk and filed/sanded it until smooth.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #270 on: June 18, 2018, 02:27:35 pm »

Just as a funny side note, this is what she looked like one year ago (to the exact day, on June 18 2017). I think she came a long way, but the road is still long and winding  :police:

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #271 on: June 18, 2018, 09:08:57 pm »

The whistle looks good as does your pipework. You did right to get the 4mm pipe I reckon.
Pond weed is your enemy

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #272 on: June 19, 2018, 08:29:26 pm »

Thank you!  :-)

The electric parts (light board, fan and speaker) are now connected. I tryed to tidy the wiring a bit by using drinking straws. Alas, one piece came loose after soldering. I need to try another glue for that task, it seems. So far I've tryed Zap-a-gap and Deluxe Fusion.
Outfitting of the funnel and cabin also taking place. The deck extension beams for the life boats are now glued in place as well.
The... portholes? Scuttles? What do you call these in english? (Heck, I don't even know what to call them in German  {-) ). Anyway, I had to re-print the latches for these a tad smaller cuz they wouldn't fit. They're still on the print bed, waiting to be collected.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #273 on: June 20, 2018, 09:53:18 pm »

I know the round openings in the hull are scuttles, but so are the holes in the deck for access and coaling etc. A question for those on Mayhem with greater knowledge.
Pond weed is your enemy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #274 on: June 20, 2018, 10:02:23 pm »

The hull openings are scuttle portholes. Those in the deck are scuttle coal hatches. Just namings.

Colin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.