Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Building the CalderCraft Imara  (Read 166656 times)

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Re: Building the CalderCraft Imara
« Reply #275 on: June 21, 2018, 09:10:04 am »

So then let's just wait and see if something hatches. If so it then probably also scuttles  :police:
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #276 on: June 26, 2018, 08:41:09 pm »

Another batch of white metal parts filed, sanded and cleaned. Ready for primer. There is so much detail stuff on the cabin alone it's almost a bit overwhelming. But one step after the other, I guess.
Once again, the plans are of not much help, not being in scale. But at least I can get a rough idea of what goes whereish.
I'm also glad about all of the pictures of finished Imaras floating about on the net to clarify this and that and also to get inspirations about colors for different parts  :-)
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
Steaming Her up in the Tub
« Reply #277 on: July 01, 2018, 06:48:46 pm »

Because I otherwise have a bit of a boring task at hand (cutting lengths of wire for some grates), I decided to fill the test tub (aka our bath tub) and give her a Steam Up for testing purposes.
I'm happy to report that it all went very well. The aggregates are running smooth and the water stayed outside  :-)

I thought maybe you'd like to watch her, too, so I uploaded a short video of the event to YouTube. Have fun and let me know what you think!

hama

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #278 on: July 01, 2018, 08:46:58 pm »

Nice!! She' s a real beauty and I look forward to seeing her on the water. :-))
Hama

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #279 on: July 01, 2018, 10:41:15 pm »

Goodness Dom...I know I have mentioned some time back..... ;) ...but those engines tick over at low speed & start-up beautifully  :-))...,. Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #280 on: July 02, 2018, 07:19:06 am »

Nice!! She' s a real beauty and I look forward to seeing her on the water. :-))
Hama

Thank you, Hama! Still a long way to go but at least she floats already  :-)

Goodness Dom...I know I have mentioned some time back..... ;) ...but those engines tick over at low speed & start-up beautifully  :-)) ...,. Derek

Yes, Derek, and you were right that the water resistance would smooth things even more than back when I test ran her in the dry dock.
BTW, I also put on the cabin structure (not on the video) to see whether this would affect the performance of the gas burner, which it didn't at all. Next time I will try it with the windows covered.

Dom

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #281 on: July 08, 2018, 08:15:43 pm »

The towing hook is painted (but not yet weathered) and glued in place. No actual towing going to take place with this white metal part, though.
Cutting and sanding the brass rods for the grates was a lot of tedious work, but they're all done and painted now.
Rope guard rails are starting to take shape. When I drilled the holes for the latter I bored into one of the wires leading to the speaker underneath. D'oh!  %)
I ran out of stanchion bases, so I 3D-printed a couple more. I love that printer  :police:

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #282 on: July 17, 2018, 08:35:20 pm »

Installing the rope guard rails after giving them a coat of paint or six. Incidentally, the Tamiya brand of spray paint must no longer be sold here in Switzerland due to environmental and health issues, so I switched to Revell.
When drilling the holes for the guard rails, the plastic chipped a bit in some places and I had to use filler to mend the flaws.
The lower water tank is almost finished but not yet glued in place.
Also building and preparing some more bits and parts to help procrastinate building the wooden cabin  ok2

I'm sure I got the wooden steering gear box wrong, but for the life of me I couldn't figure out how this part is meant to be. Neither the plans nor pics from the web were of any help so I decided to ad lib that part a bit. Looks a bit (too) creative maybe, but after sanding and filling, we'll see what it looks like.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #283 on: July 18, 2018, 08:20:40 pm »

I don't know, but that steering gear box is a bit of a mess. So I sat down and replicated it with the CAD program. Will print it tomorrow, I hope it fits the white metal front.
I'm not much of a wood worker  :((

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #284 on: July 19, 2018, 08:37:51 pm »

I printed a prototype of the gear box and it fits nicely. However, I noticed that there's very limited space between the flagstaff and the funnel since the deck is shorter than it should be according to the plans ( I remember reading that other Imara builders ran into the same problem).
I guess I'm going to shorten the gear box a bit, lest the steering wheel sits right next to the funnel  %)
The rope guards are now securely glued in place and paint has been applied to the joints. Speaker re-mounted below deck.
Some woodwork for the cabin is also looming. Provided I can figure out what goes where. Help!  {:-{

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #285 on: July 22, 2018, 07:28:58 pm »

I finally bought a sorter box to sort all the small white metal parts. Speaking of which, I filed and grated another batch of these.
The steering gear box is assembled and ready for priming and painting.
Cut, sanded and glued the wooden platforms for the life boats with a little help from a piece of adhesive tape to get the spaces even.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #286 on: July 25, 2018, 07:55:42 pm »

I applied some weathering to the life boat platforms (still a bit wet on the photo).
The large cowl vents are made from the white metal parts from the kit (upper half and the handles) plus some custom made (i.e. CAD made and 3D-printed) bases glued together and filled/sanded with car body filler.
Some other parts and bits now waiting to be primed and painted. It's a bit too hot to spray paint outside, will have to wait until it cools down a bit.
I also bought (ordered) myself an airbrush set which partially arrived today. I guess this will take some practicing before I can and will use it on the model  :police:

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #287 on: July 26, 2018, 12:35:59 am »

Dom....

Just a general question on the Imara........why did she have a steering station aft of the funnel%)

Is this some form of emergency steerage?......with a large enclosed bridge, one would have thought the Skipper & steerage was performed from there?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #288 on: July 26, 2018, 06:40:05 am »

Good question, Derek, and I wondered that myself. I can only assume that it has been used for manoeuvres like backing up since otherwise from the bridge the quite large funnel would have obstructed aft visibility quite a lot, I guess.
But then I'm only an inland landlubber and I'm sure there are more knowledgeable lads and gals on this forum who might shed some light on the subject  ok2

Dom

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #289 on: July 26, 2018, 12:34:10 pm »

There is this Facebook group... https://www.facebook.com/groups/RMASPortsmoth/   dedicated to crew and dockyard workers of the ships. Somebody there should be able to answer the question about her. You will have to join the group but that's as easy as just clicking the blue button.
The link works even though they have left the 'U' out of portsmouth!

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #290 on: July 26, 2018, 02:40:03 pm »

Thanks, Brian!
Maybe somebody with a Facebook-Account can inquire there  :-)

Dom

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #291 on: July 26, 2018, 08:29:46 pm »

The parts are now primed. Looking at some example pics on the net for possible color schemes. It's kind of interesting how many different looking Imaras there are out there. No two seem to be looking alike  :police:
One of the next steps will be building the cabin. Some wooden parts cut out but not yet sanded. Everything is supposed to fit together, something like so.... Wish me luck  :embarrassed:

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #292 on: July 28, 2018, 08:48:53 am »

There are some times when one needs to take a short break from model building and appreciate some other things.
Like the Lunar Eclipse last night. I set up my camera on the roof of our garden pergola and took some pictures of the event.
We also saw the ISS when it was passing by at around 22:34. What a spectacular view it was!
(In case you're interested, shot with Sony A99II with Minolta 500/F8 and Sigma 70-200/F2,8)

Moon and Mars

Dreadnought

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #293 on: July 28, 2018, 09:57:17 am »

That's some great shots you got of the moon their! :-))
Unfortunately the we had thunder storms and rain were I live in the UK last night so I missed it. :(( <:( 

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #294 on: July 28, 2018, 10:05:04 am »

Great pictures! But as Dreadnought says, it coincided with the temporary(!) end of our heatwave and was not visible from much of the UK, a real shame.
Colin

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #295 on: July 28, 2018, 10:26:12 am »

Thanks, guys! Bummer you couldn't witness it  {:-{
Here's a couple more from when it started and when it ended.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #296 on: July 29, 2018, 08:12:05 pm »

Back on topic  :police:

I painted the wheel and the wheel gear box. Also painted the fire hydrants and the fire buckets. I use Tamiya brass polish for the fire hydrants and for the screw knobs on the wheel. Looks awesome (better in real life than on the pictures).
The tapered flagstaff (it's not really a FLAGstaff actually, but the translator always turns up with that expression) is 3D-printed from two parts bolted and glued together. Not yet filled and sanded. This pole was supposed to be made from a piece of round timber, but since I don't have a lathe... well, I could have used the drill and sanding paper, of course. But since I do have the 3D printer, why not go down that route.
I'm even considering making the main mast this way, probably from 5 parts, all tapered in the right way and glued together with a piece of steel peg between them for stability and guidance. It's also supposed to have a small crease along its length for the lamp wires. I'm not sure they will print, though. Tall structures like that are a bit difficult to print.

nmbrook

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #297 on: July 29, 2018, 10:48:40 pm »

Awesome work Tafelspitz.The twin steam engines really set this model apart.Even Caldercraft anticipated most would only ever fit one,hence the single screw version.

I am a little surprised at the poor quality of some the fittings.Having spent a good number of years doing period ship modelling,I regard Caldercraft as one of the best kit manufacturers in that field.

Regards

Nigel

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #298 on: July 30, 2018, 07:14:50 am »

Thanks, Nigel!

Having no other kits to compare this one to, it's hard to tell how the Imara compares to other kits.
But to put things a bit into perspective, though: the kit contains literally hundreds of fittings and most of them are OK. It's just about 3 or 4 pieces so far that suffer from really bad quality (the life boat support beam and the aft capstan come to mind), with a hand full of others suffering from more or less missaligned mouldings. This is of more concern with smaller parts since the relative error is much bigger in these. You can only file and sand so much on tiny parts. I can easily replace some of these with 3D-prints (like the stanchion bases and latches), but not everybody has this opportunity.

That said, I think the overall quality of the kit is quite good. The moulds may have suffered a bit from wear and tear over time, but it's far from bad. I would buy it again.

Me not being very experienced in model building is another big factor. I have learned a lot so far (not least from this forum) and given the opportunity to start over, I would do a lot of things differently now. The build also gave me a good excuse to upgrade my shop with some nifty tools. Amongst the things I bought in the last year or so are a drill press, circular saw, disc sander and now an airbrush kit :}

Dom

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #299 on: July 30, 2018, 10:04:12 am »

Poor quality fittings do sometimes get through 'quality control. However, the manufacturer should replace them free of charge on request.
It is also true that some white metal moulds have passed their 'use by' date when they should have been recast from the masters.

Colin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 22 queries.