Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: robbe s boat painting finish , please help  (Read 1676 times)

Aidan

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
robbe s boat painting finish , please help
« on: February 26, 2017, 09:25:42 am »

hi , I've just finished building and painting the nightmare which is the robbe s boat , which I only completed after finding the excellent post on this forum . That's for that . It sat 1/2 made for 10 years because of the ridiculous front deck section , until I got the inspiration to tackle it following the instructions on this site . I've painted it , it looks good but I notice I get smudge or finger marks on the paintwork . Is there a protective finish/spray I can use ? I used Tamiya xf paint . Thanks

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: robbe s boat painting finish , please help
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 11:02:53 am »

Our resident paint expert is Stavros who could advise on this.  He will tell you that I am the last person in the forum to advise you about painting.      %)   

Cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Stavros

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 12:06:48 pm »

Hi.....if you are getting smudges on your finish and finger marks on your paint then one or more things have happened......you did not stir the paint fully.......if simply has not dried properly and it is still soft...due to previous answer.....I have a suspicion the because it is still soft that anything you will put over it will simply react........I personally dont use this type of paint on my models simply because I've had this happen.....in my opinion the only cure is to remove all traces of it and simply start again.............This is why I always use  Halfords aerosols as this is a durable finish...Maybe someone else can suggest something...............Obviously if you are going to try something over this paint I would personally try some on some scrap plastic painted with the Tamiya paint BEFORE and I repeat BEFORE you paint the model with it.....I am not going to suggest anything simply because I don't want to be blamed for a chemical reaction

Dave

gregk9

• Full Mayhemer
    • Chasewater Model Boat Club
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 12:22:06 pm »

I agree with Dave, something is reacting with the paint...being as the model has stood for so long prior to painting, im suspicious of the possibility that something was on the surface prior to painting. did you wash it off bing "before painting?
Please dont try to add any further coats of anything, or whats happening "underneath" will only accelerate.
If possibly leave it alone for some time, see if whatever has caused it, possibly dries out, but keep it somewhere "clean", but not sealed up so the air cannot get to it .
Fingers crossed on this one.
Best wishes.

Steve. G.
Treasurer & Membership Secretary:  Chasewater Model Boat Club
http://chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 04:39:14 pm »

Now this isn't the 'paint reacting' (well it is, but its due to the natural oils on your hands) as I've had it happen with the aircraft models I build when I'm not doing model boats.
Tamiya acrylic XF paint is notorious for leaving finger prints because its the matt range, aircraft modellers try to avoid touching the matt paint by wearing latex gloves (or non latex if you're allergic) and once the XF paint is dry spray on satin varnish or Johnson's Klear straight away taking all precautions of touching any exposed paintwork. Once the varnish or Klear coat is dry you shouldn't get any finger prints. Tamiya paint is one of the most difficult paints to work with as it dries very quickly when airbrushed and is extremely difficult to brush paint as it wants to streak. I use Halfords paint too as its durable and easy to get hold of and use. For my aircraft models I have switched to the AK or MiG range of acrylics.
And on another note the same can happen with the Humbrol range of acrylics but doesn't seem to be bad as the Tamiya.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Aidan

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 06:29:05 pm »

thanks Nick , what you describe is exactly my problem , so Johnsons(pledge now) klear spayed on with an airbrush? Or satin varnish ( what brand/ type do you recommend , is that the same as what you would put on would) . Thanks so much all for responding Aidan

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 06:53:26 pm »

I've used both but I prefer the Humbrol Satin Cote which is very similar to the Klear but doesn't clog up your airbrush. You can brush both on by hand but you can risk painting too much on and getting a white residue around raised detail.  The new recipe used by Johnson's/Pledge is more milky in colour and is strangely sweet smelling compared to the original stuff but some modellers reckon its no different to the old stuff so its a personal choice. They both dry pretty quickly too and both are water based so its easy to clean off your airbrush or brushes. If you've never used them you can build up the layers to get a glossy finish for applying decals but wait for each layer to dry before being tempted to apply the next. Then when you've finished you can apply a misted coat of satin varnish to dampen the toy look of glossy paint to a scale finish.
Hope this helps. :-))
Nick B

Stavros

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2017, 08:07:42 pm »

Nick just didnt think of the old RAF trick of Johnsons clear  O0 O0  Bet YOU use that on your shoes WINK WINK...I had thought of satin Varnish but as I hadn't tried it over the Tamya paints I wasn't going to reccommend it

Dave

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 08:21:02 pm »

I don't know what you mean! ;)   %) Never been caught yet!
Nick B

Stavros

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 08:35:59 pm »

Got caught out on an inspection by a Welsh Cpl having some primer and gloss black aerosols at the back of the wardrobe....funny thing was he gave me jankers.....MMMMMM spray painting HIS SHOES....never dobbed me in lol...has a nickname of Taff shinny shoes and boots

Dave

Aidan

• Shipmate
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2017, 10:43:16 pm »

I agree with Dave, something is reacting with the paint...being as the model has stood for so long prior to painting, im suspicious of the possibility that something was on the surface prior to painting. did you wash it off bing "before painting?
Please dont try to add any further coats of anything, or whats happening "underneath" will only accelerate.
If possibly leave it alone for some time, see if whatever has caused it, possibly dries out, but keep it somewhere "clean", but not sealed up so the air cannot get to it .
Fingers crossed on this one.
Thanks for replying, I did wash it in some kind of diluted floor cleaner before priming . Thanks for replying Aidan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 22 queries.