Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Norfolk Wherry  (Read 2832 times)

Henry70x

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Norfolk Wherry
« on: March 03, 2017, 10:53:41 pm »

I'm planning a sailing model of a Norfolk Wherry, and the first issue I have is that of the "Slipping Keel"
a) What size is it (bearing in mind in has to keep the boat upright)
b) Should it all be retractable or always fully extended.
c) If retractable what method is used to extend it.
Look forward to any help with these issues, plus any input from anyone who has built Wherry.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Norfolk Wherry
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 01:32:08 am »

Hi Henry

I don't have a specific answer for you, sorry, but I few thoughts do come to mind straight away.

a) Size would depend on many things. It is unlikely that a scale keel would be adequate, unless your model is very large, in the same way that a scale rudder needs to be made larger on a working model, because you can scale dimensions, but not the physical effects of wind and water. The smaller the model the more the rudder needs to be enlarged, I would assume the same is true for a keel.
You will also need to add ballast to the boat hull significantly (which would only work for larger models). Because a wherry has a lot of beam, this should be fairly easy, but you could be adding 30lbs of lead on a model of about a meter.

b) Things to consider. On a wherry, they were fixed by bolts and rods, and only removed for shallow water. You may also find you need to use something just to stop the model from slipping sideways. Additionally, no one will see the bottom of the boat when sailing. The other thing to consider is that a lot of scale sailing boats have a non scale keel fin and bulb, because they need them to stay upright. The use of the keel fin and bulb lowers the weight, and increased the righting moment/force significantly allowing you to use much less lead (cheaper and easier to handle the model).

c) On the Thames barges there are lee boards on either side. These are visible when the boat is on the water. Modelers have designed motor mechanisms to raise and lower these as needed. Do searches for Thames barge models and you will find some mechanisms that may be suitable. But again, the wherrys only removed the keel in very shallow water, not a problem for a model really.

Bear in mind these are just my thoughts, I know little about the Norfolk wherry.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 01:44:36 pm »

Ivor Broughton, who used to produce wherry kits, reckoned that a 44" hull needs a 9lb keel. If you think it will be helpful PM me your email address, and I'll send you a copy of his brochure.
I eat my peas with honey,
I've done it all my life;
It makes the peas taste funny,
But it keeps 'em on the knife.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 05:32:34 pm »

actually I am almost sure that the wherry didn't have a drop keel, but if you contact the trust, they will be able to help you more.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=norfolk+wherry+trust&*

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norfolk_Wherry_Trust

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2017, 05:48:12 pm »

I'm sure Jim is right. The various drawings online show what appears to be a long chunk of ballast along the keel though it scarcely increases the draught.  But whatever the real thing had, a model will need a keel.

Jonty

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2017, 06:18:15 pm »

Aha! Wrong again. According to The Story of the Norfolk Wherries (I knew I had a copy somewhere) the wherries had a 'slipping keel'. This was held on by three bolts and could be dropped when the wherry needed to go up an unusually shallow waterway. Getting it back on again with the bolt holes below the waterline was tricky, to say the least.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.