Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Cr80 bait boat  (Read 4443 times)

CarperLloyd

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Cr80 bait boat
« on: March 06, 2017, 07:57:11 pm »

hi can anyone help me, I built a bait boat coup,e years back not used for a while, went to use and realised I took receiver out for my car lol, so the problem I have is, I have 2 motors ,2 viper marine 15 esc and 1x 12v8ah battery, the problem I'm seeing now which I never see before is the 12v lead acid battery putting 12v into receiver and servos. Any ideas if I can cut the red cables that go from esc to receiver. And connect a normal 4.8v for receiver would this work. Thanks

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Cr80 bait boat
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 08:14:11 pm »

You can only use the 5 volts coming out of the speed control unit to drive the receiver and servos. It's on the 3 wires ending with a socket.

Connecting them to any other points would be in-advisable as the voltage will be too high.

Hope this helps

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 08:42:03 pm »

The vipers have BEC units fitted so the output to the Rx will be the correct voltage. However, you will have to disconnect the red centre wire from one esc to the RX so that only one esc feeds the Rx.
Don't Assume Check

CarperLloyd

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 10:54:39 pm »

Wow thanks for the quick reply, am I correct in saying that if I cut the thin red wire on 1 esc and the second esc plug straight in to rx this will be ok as esc has a bec

CarperLloyd

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 10:57:36 pm »

You can only use the 5 volts coming out of the speed control unit to drive the receiver and servos. It's on the 3 wires ending with a socket.

Connecting them to any other points would be in-advisable as the voltage will be too high.

Hope this helps

ken
thanks ken so if the esc has a Bec on it will the voltage still be too high.. .thanks

CarperLloyd

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2017, 11:19:03 pm »

The vipers have BEC units fitted so the output to the Rx will be the correct voltage. However, you will have to disconnect the red centre wire from one esc to the RX so that only one esc feeds the Rx.
ok thanks just waiting on new rx and I'll let you no how I get on. If I cut red wire will each motor work on each side on controls ie left stick =left motor right stick right motor, thanks

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 09:16:20 am »

The red wire on the ESC to RX lead powers the RX. The RX provides the signal to the ESC to control the motor. As long as the RX only has one power input, with two ESCs you can control each motor independently.
Don't Assume Check

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 09:52:38 am »

As  dougal99  says.   :-))

ken
Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

CarperLloyd

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 10:04:31 am »

Thanks ills keep you posted 👍🏾😬👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

CarperLloyd

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 11:46:38 pm »

Ok will post up pictures soon got it all working cut the wire on 1 esc, but the one Which I didn't cut,got extremely hot just being connected so I cut both red wires on both esc and fitted small baterry pack to run servos, works fine 😅👍🏾 Only problem now is i have exactly same motors and esc for each side but left side seems to be more powerful, left stick on controller has Spring right doesn't could this be the problem?. Thanks

Stavros

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2017, 08:45:13 am »

Try putting the speed controller of the slow one on to the fast one and see if that one slows down ...if so esc is damaged...if not try other esc on motor......if no change, could be motor is damaged

Dave

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2017, 09:39:23 am »

It is normal for only one stick to be sprung to center.  Most transmitters are aimed at the air market because thats the biggest and planes normally are forward only.  It is possible to get spring kits for some sets.  The ESCs might both be expecting to switch on getting a "center" signal and automatically align themselves to what they get at switch-on.
If one motor runs faster than the other, and the boat has been unused for some time, there could be a mechanical problem in the drive like the prop shafts needing to be lubed.
Once you know that both motors are loaded the same, swapping them around will show whether the motor or the ESC is not performing.
A SLA that has been unused for a long time, if it hasn't been charged, might have self discharged and not be able to do its job properly, but if there is only one battery, its the same for both ESCs.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

CarperLloyd

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2017, 12:28:17 am »

Ok thanks I have an old controler I'll see if I can use the spring out of that. I will also try to change esc over and lube shafts, 👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾👌

CarperLloyd

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 01:59:01 am »

Hi everyone👍🏾 if I'm using a 1x 12v lead acid battery to run both motors, can I get rid of this and run each motor  of a lipo battery ?? 1 battery for each motor as they are a lot lighter, or will they lose power a lot quicker thanks

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2017, 08:58:15 am »

That depends on the capacity of the lead acid battery and the capacities of the LiPos.  For the same total capacity AND voltage, the LiPo will be much lighter, for the same weight AND voltage, the LiPo will run much longer.  They will need a voltage alarm each if the ESCs are not fitted with them.  An SLA gives warning of being discharged y not letting the boat go as quick in good time - a LiPo ends its discharge much more suddenly.

CarperLloyd

• Shipmate
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2017, 10:11:01 am »

Ok thanks for the quick reply I'm using 12v 7ah , do u no if the marine 15 esc have thes built in,thanks again

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2017, 01:50:11 pm »

To give you some idea about the relative weights I just checked the weight of a couple of batteries.
A 12v 7Ah gell cell was around 2500g while a 3S 8Ah LiPo was around 570g. The LiPo is nominally 11.4V but for most of it's capacity is over 12V. The LiPo is available for arounf £50 from HobbyKing. You will need a dedicated LiPo charger as a Gell cell charger is not suitable for LiPos.
The Marine 15 esc does not appear to have a low voltage cutoff so some form of low voltage alarm will be essential.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-lipoly-low-voltage-alarm-2s-4s.html is one of these alarms available from HobbyKing with both a visual and sound warning.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 03:18:18 pm »

Or two of these - https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-compact-4000mah-3s-25c-lipo-pack.html - since the original idea was to have each ESC have its own battery.  Each one would need is own alarm/monitor, of course.  286 gm and about £16 apiece, plus postage.

CarperLloyd

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2017, 11:12:08 pm »

Ok thanks for help guys, what would you advise using 1 battery or use a battery for each motor,

CarperLloyd

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2017, 11:13:46 pm »

And does the alarm wire staraight into normal receiver I have

CarperLloyd

• Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2017, 11:18:33 pm »

These lipo are only 11.1 v so are they not already lower than the voltage I need :o

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2017, 08:23:59 am »

12 volt SLA batteries are not really 12 volt, but a volt or so more.  11.1 volts is similarly just a nominal voltage.  Most batteries charge to a higher voltage than that stated on the label and discharge to something lower.  LiPos will go above 11.1, but can be expected to hold their voltage better under load.  Their downside is that they need the correct type of charger and they do have a rather low number of charge/recharge cycles in their life expectancy.  500 is often quoted. 
The lack of the odd volt in 12 should not be a worry.  The reduction in weight will make up for that, at least until the reduction is compensated for by increasing the payload.  Or look for 4S batteries after checking that your ESCs are good for that.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2017, 11:21:09 am »

And does the alarm wire staraight into normal receiver I have

The alarms normally plug into the balance connector on a LiPo and not into the receiver. They measure the voltage of each cell in the battery and will alarm if the total voltage goes below the minimum or if one cell drops below its minimum.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

CarperLloyd

• Shipmate
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2017, 10:12:10 pm »

Ok thanks guys just checked my esc spec it says nicad/nimh/lead acid, does this mean I'd need new esc😒

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2017, 08:38:38 am »

If your battery voltage is within the range specified, it will be just fine.  DC volts are DC volts whatever kind of chemistry they come from.  Your ESC was designed before lithium batteries were common, the ESC will work fine, but the alarm mentioned will be needed to ensure that the batteries last well.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.11 seconds with 21 queries.