Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Propeller Help  (Read 1421 times)

IanMcGoo22

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Propeller Help
« on: March 08, 2017, 01:54:22 am »

Hi,

I have recently started to build a model of a Grand Banks 42 cruiser based on a set of plans from Marine Modelling International.  I wanted a big model, so I had the plans enlarged from 1:24 scale to approximately 1:8 scale.  This produces a model slightly over five feet long with a beam of about 22 inches.  As enlarged, the plans call for twin propellers around 75mm in diameter.  Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of three blade versus four blade props?  Assuming identical motors, would I get more thrust from four blades?

I've found ads for both types of props, at about the same price.  Although I'm nowhere near ready for them, I'd like to figure out what to get in case any of them go on sale.  A boat like this won't be the fastest in the world, but I'd like it to be able to at least get out of its own way when necessary.  (Power will be a couple of 12V. electric motors, probably the brushed type.)

Thanks for your input!
Cheers
Ian

jarvo

• Full Mayhemer
  • Etherow model boat club
Re: Propeller Help
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 10:53:12 am »

Hi Ian, sounds like a great model, with twin motors, i would look to a pair of car heater blower motors, the 75mm props would be a bit small, scale wise, 80 -90mm would look better and perform better, with the big motors this would be no problem, also you would not need as much ballast.

Mark
Tugs are for pulling
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.