Mess Deck: General Section > Beginners start here...!

Recommendation for Starter Boat

(1/6) > >>

thedukeofno:
Folks:

Just joined, glad to be here. Lots of good info.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a good first boat for my 5-year old son (and his 47-year old dad!). I'm looking for something that's not a toy and not a speed boat. Something he can control.

Ready-to-sail out of the box is not a requirement, but I would like the kit to include everything I need to get started (i.e. radio & servers).

FYI I'm located in the UK.

Thanks in Advance!

david48:

Welcome to the world of Mayhem . The UK is a  big place, it is really useful to put your town or area where you live , not your address . There might be someone near or a club that could be helpful, to you .
Davi

MartinL:
In answer to your request I think you couldn't go far wrong with Aeronought,s Mowe II which you will find is being built on a current thread. Yes it would be useful to know roughly where you were.

http://www.aero-naut.de/produkte/produktsuche/single-view/?tx_edxproductman_pi1%5Bproduct%5D=309100&tx_edxproductman_pi1%5Bsearcharray%5D%5Bsubject%5D=309100&tx_edxproductman_pi1%5Baction%5D=show&tx_edxproductman_pi1%5Bcontroller%5D=Product&cHash=e7a3d043a655b04

thedukeofno:
Thanks for the advice. I've updated my profile. I'm located in Guildford, Surrey.

malcolmfrary:
Get something reasonably simple.  Cabin cruisers are a good example, also small tugs like those by SHG.  It is highly unlikely that you will find any kind of kit that goes as far as including anything more than basic running gear. After the first model, most modelers have a radio and a collection of other parts, the market for kits reflects this.  A few contain a motor, none that I know of come with a radio or servos or speed control.
The only exception to that is yachts like the DragonForce (small) and Laser (not small), but I don't think that that is what you intend.  Not kits as such, but very much RTR with rather poor radios are items like the "Smasher Destroyer" that can be found on ebay.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version