Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: MMM Portgarth build  (Read 331178 times)

Dreadnought

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: MMM Portgarth build
« Reply #1000 on: December 31, 2017, 09:43:23 am »

Looking great Andy :-))

T33cno

« Reply #1001 on: December 31, 2017, 01:00:31 pm »

Thank you kindly :-))
I decided it folly to pay over £21 for a 14mm spotlight and not wire it up  %%  so I have  8)

T33cno

« Reply #1002 on: December 31, 2017, 02:28:47 pm »

Little beauty  :kiss:

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #1003 on: December 31, 2017, 03:44:42 pm »

Is the cable being hidden Andy?
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

T33cno

« Reply #1004 on: December 31, 2017, 03:49:10 pm »

The real one has a cable but I think it goes into the motor mounting box. I cant really do that on the model so it will go through the roof as close as poss behind it

T33cno

Re: MMM Portgarth build............... roof retention system lol
« Reply #1005 on: December 31, 2017, 07:50:02 pm »

Having decided finally on no glass and ruled out neodim magnets. I have come up with this idea after a lot of fiddling and dropped bits.
The little brass plate is angled just enough that it will turn 90 degrees when I do the screw up and rotate back clear when I loosen it. This means the screw can stay put without fiddling every time. It is 2mm and tapped into the wood.

From aside un noticeable

EDIT well barely  {-)  maybe paint it white  :-))

T33cno

« Reply #1006 on: December 31, 2017, 07:58:42 pm »

So theoretically if I can parallel all the LED's down to just a pair of contacts (assuming I manage fitting them all) I can glue all this up as one and take it off at will. This falls in nicely with the demountable wheelhouse and funnels

T33cno

« Reply #1007 on: December 31, 2017, 08:29:37 pm »

Possibly at some time I might stretch to recreating the ceiling to hide the wires and enhance the look further. Not in great detail but the general shape just like the captains consoles

T33cno

« Reply #1008 on: December 31, 2017, 08:57:23 pm »

Here I've started to form the stair and deckhouse roof top rails. It's important that they are identical to start off.
Because the stair is too narrow I can only fit the outboard rail unless the crew go up sideways. I will crank the rail outwards slightly and curve the stair stanchions to suit. I will do my best to make it all look plausible.

T33cno

« Reply #1009 on: January 01, 2018, 01:06:04 am »

Happy new year and thank you for all the private messages/emails recently ! Very much appreciated.
 :kiss: :-)  Especially Clifford  :-))

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #1010 on: January 01, 2018, 07:47:24 am »

They do look identical Andy, how did you accomplish that? I'm interested to know before I get to bending lots of rails on my present build.

T33cno

« Reply #1011 on: January 01, 2018, 09:38:54 am »

Good morning Brian
I started with a length of wire just reasonable long enough without having excess flapping about.
Then on one stair I started at the bottom with the first bend and the slight crank outwards to create the illusion I need to make the stair look wider
Holding that in place on the model and tweeking  until I was happy that it matched the pictures I have I held my thumb nail at the point of the second bend with my right hand. Now this is the awkward part as I’m right handed so I transferred that point over to my left thumb so I could start the second bend with pliers.
Then keep trying it against the model and adjust until 100% happy it helps to have the correct height stanchion after the second bend to get the height change correct from the stair slope onto the level deck.
Then I only have two more bends the same way
Now to mirror image I just held a fresh piece of rod alongside and made the first two bends to match (the small kick and first bend)  the new rod is now travelling away from the old rod at the next bend so being careful need bring them back Parallel so they are alongside to mark the next bend then again for the final bend. The brass is very easy to twist for minor adjustments and bends can be moved either way with careful positioning of pliers
I hope that creates the right picture a video would be better but I don’t do utube

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #1012 on: January 01, 2018, 10:38:45 am »

You've done well. I have tried the accepted method - transfer the shape to a board by drawing it out - if its a square, draw a square and then where you want bends, the corners on a square, hammer in a panel pin. Baiscally whatever shape you need, draw it and put a panel pin wherever there is a bend.

Then use that to bend your wires around. Sounds simple but I have never yet in years of doing this, managed to get in the case of railings, get three or even two exactly the same! There is always some slight difference on the corners so that it is noticeable on the finished item.

T33cno

« Reply #1013 on: January 01, 2018, 10:41:16 am »

Thanks
Practice gained making 24 brass window frames has no doubt helped  {-)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #1014 on: January 01, 2018, 12:58:31 pm »

I find bending wire and tube to be a challenge. Where do you put the mark for bending? where you want to bend or at the point plus half the width of the rod??

Good metalwork again Andy  :-))

Pond weed is your enemy

T33cno

« Reply #1015 on: January 01, 2018, 01:19:35 pm »

I find bending wire and tube to be a challenge. Where do you put the mark for bending? where you want to bend or at the point plus half the width of the rod??

Good metalwork again Andy  :-))

Thanks Ian. Any method that works for you as long as its consistent, working freehand requires practice and some experimentation but I always start with a gentle bend and re try it before continuing with more bend or adjusting it along either way before giving it full what for .

T33cno

« Reply #1016 on: January 01, 2018, 11:34:46 pm »

My handrails and vents are now satin lacquered and a snug fit without glue. Vents glued only.
Much easier to fix if damage occurs
Other parts are waiting their turn in the drying stakes.
The lacquer helps make the paint more robust I feel as paint alone easily suffers chipping on brass.
The search light is finished and in the paint shop, it has been dry fitted first hence the locating holes in the roof

T33cno

« Reply #1017 on: January 02, 2018, 04:07:57 pm »

T33cno

« Reply #1018 on: January 02, 2018, 06:05:58 pm »

Cheers  :-))

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #1019 on: January 02, 2018, 10:27:09 pm »

For a warship model, I would lacqure and then dust with matt to get the best of both worlds: strength and look.
Pond weed is your enemy

captain bligh

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats oh'd av um
« Reply #1020 on: January 02, 2018, 10:43:49 pm »

Beautiful job  :-))
It's not a bad man who makes a mistake its a good man who can get over it.

T33cno

« Reply #1021 on: January 02, 2018, 10:52:28 pm »

Cheers I'm well pleased but still some awkward bits to overcome  :o

I'm more pleased that I've nearly kept my promise. Early in the thread I complained that there are numerous articles where someone started a Portgarth and they all petered out nowhere near finished and I promised I would. Not far now  :-))

bfgstew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Comfortably Numb
« Reply #1022 on: January 02, 2018, 11:20:19 pm »

I applaud your commitment considering some of the hurdles you have had to overcome. A testament to your patience and craftsmanship Andy. Bravo sir.

"Give me a ping Vasili. One ping only, please"

T33cno

« Reply #1023 on: January 02, 2018, 11:22:09 pm »

I applaud your commitment considering some of the hurdles you have had to overcome. A testament to your patience and craftsmanship Andy. Bravo sir.

Thanks Stewart  :kiss:   :-)

newdabbler

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #1024 on: January 03, 2018, 08:37:39 pm »

Cheers I'm well pleased but still some awkward bits to overcome  :o

I'm more pleased that I've nearly kept my promise. Early in the thread I complained that there are numerous articles where someone started a Portgarth and they all petered out nowhere near finished and I promised I would. Not far now  :-))
Thank you once again for such a comprehensive build log. I did message you a while ago concerning my own build. I have basically started again since reading your log. I have removed prop shafts, kort nozzles, deck supports etc. I took the mold markings as gospel. There not. Thats when I found that the prop shafts were out of alinement. Even where the bulwarks (where they drop down in height) don't line up when squared up with the hull centreline that I have now managed to sort out. It has proved very difficult to get any sort of date line.
I have now established a true centreline.
One question for you - is paxoline robust enough for tapping a thread into.
Graham

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.