Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: blowing the dust off the Huntsman  (Read 2493 times)

red181

• Full Mayhemer
blowing the dust off the Huntsman
« on: March 16, 2017, 07:05:56 pm »

first time out of the box in ages, had to be a bit timid on the sticks, and music somehow makes it look faster, no doubt the youtube police will stop it! Can't beat a deep V hull in choppy water :-))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT_7oGKMMBc

Daleb

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: blowing the dust off the Huntsman
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 07:19:43 pm »

Looks lovely and goes well  :-))

Dale.

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 09:17:16 pm »

Very nice, what size hull, motor and prop? :-))

Stavros

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 09:49:04 pm »

Oh dear me the Music is FAR FAR BETTER than the boat.... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Well you would only expect that kind of comment off a DIE HARD QUEEN FAN would you   O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0 O0

Ok Ok Ok it dont half go well

Dave

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 10:17:46 pm »

yeah Dave, I know, what a great track, I never did understand that end bit though %%

Truth is, I have bought a mini cam second hand called a Mobius, I've been messing around with the settings to get the very best picture, its for a hat cam (still practising,  hence the boat keep going out of shot :embarrassed: )

On the pc, the video looks absolutely fab, but once uploaded it goes crappy, I've just been reading about youtube downscales videos, hmm, more than I can understand. The Huntsman was the only boat I have that could enjoy the choppy water today without any issues. The camera is to be used when flying rc planes.

Mudway, its a Veron Huntsman 28, built originally early 1970's, then I found it on ebay, and did a refurb a few years ago. Its 4 foot, all ply, runs on two 5000mah 3 cell lipos, with a gearbox, and a brushless outrunner. Propshop made the prop for me after a lot of testing with plastic "X" props, its a 3 blade cleaver, approx. 52.5mm

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 12:18:12 am »

Hey  Paul LINZI LOU turns exceptionally well at high speed , far quicker than either of my boats , I have to back off the power in a turn , blackies not to bad , but the grey huntress skids sideways at the slightest rudder movement at high speed , your balance is just about perfect  . . .
The 'POLARIS' seaplane on the CARR MILL vid' looks great too , a good performer on a single motor . . .
Bill 

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 10:41:51 pm »

scratch built from free plans not bad for a bit of depron and some uhu glue :-))

Depron was  a tenner, motor a tenner, esc £15.00, micro cheapo servos and an orange receiver, it flies on 3 or 4 cells, off water, grass, sand, snow, pity there isn't a suitable puddle on Merseyside or wirral :((

I forgot with the Huntsman I usually have expo on the rudder servo, on a big lake anyway, thats why the turns where a bit jerky and oversensitive, after that video I remembered and the turns where then a lot smoother. On a smaller lake like New B or Hoylake I take the expo off so the turns are quicker and sharper, so I don't slam the walls! :}

mudway

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 06:43:58 am »

yeah Dave, I know, what a great track, I never did understand that end bit though %%

Truth is, I have bought a mini cam second hand called a Mobius, I've been messing around with the settings to get the very best picture, its for a hat cam (still practising,  hence the boat keep going out of shot :embarrassed: )

On the pc, the video looks absolutely fab, but once uploaded it goes crappy, I've just been reading about youtube downscales videos, hmm, more than I can understand. The Huntsman was the only boat I have that could enjoy the choppy water today without any issues. The camera is to be used when flying rc planes.

Mudway, its a Veron Huntsman 28, built originally early 1970's, then I found it on ebay, and did a refurb a few years ago. Its 4 foot, all ply, runs on two 5000mah 3 cell lipos, with a gearbox, and a brushless outrunner. Propshop made the prop for me after a lot of testing with plastic "X" props, its a 3 blade cleaver, approx. 52.5mm

Thanks, mine is a distressed small Precedent fibreglass one which still has the fuel tank and other parts from its IC days. Quite heavy as the owner seems to have laid up many more layers of glass to beef the hull up. I hadn't thought of the prop shop for fast boats. Usually think of them for scale warships.

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 08:29:59 am »

Looks fantastic.

Not to go too far off topic I was wondering do you find the watercooling necessary?
I run lots of brushless boats and have never really found them getting that warm but planning quite an "enclosed" build this year and the mounts I have are designed for watercooling so considering giving it a go.

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 09:57:19 am »

Better to be safe than sorry regarding cooling , Paul made a water cooled out runner mounting for his boat , I'm not that clever, I used a 40mm fan from a computer PSU stripped the bearing out and drilled the centre slightly smaller than the brass shaft adaptor & pressed it on , that works for me ,  . . . I've seen wires melting , Deans connectors falling apart on some (other ) boats with overloads on the motors , if your using LIPO's they chuck out all the amps demanded & things can get out of hand VERY quickly.
Inrunners have a sealed can around the body for water cooling , sold as an extra , I also use water cooled E S C's on my boats . . . just pipe them thru on the same line one after the other.
Bill

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 07:35:01 am »

Hi TG,

Its a very enclosed space where my motor is when the top is on with no air flow at all, and I find that its after running that latent heat builds up at the front. This boat will pull 80 amps, it probably doesn't need cooling, but it was easier to do when making the mount than after. The boat already had the water pickup and exit as I first used a graupner  brushed, which got very hot! Also the esc was under warranty at the time, and required water cooling, I thought better be safe than sorry, it did need a "fix" which was performed foc by castle creations as I was able to provide the installation pics. This motor now runs stone cold :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.