Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paint problems  (Read 2634 times)

bobgrimward

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Paint problems
« on: March 17, 2017, 12:49:31 pm »

Hi All
I wonder if anyone can give me some advice on paint problems I am having with my lifeboat.
I sprayed the hull with Halfords spray paint. Left it about a week then lacquered it with Halfords lacquer.
I then left it for another week then placed the hull on its stand which is lined with felt.
Too my horror when I took it off again the felt pads have made an indentation mark on the lacquer, so much so that I will have to redo it.
Anyone knows where I am going wrong?
Many thanks in advance.
Bob Grimward

NoNuFink

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Paint problems
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 03:52:19 pm »

I seem to remember that Halfords white primer causes this problem.  Doubtless Stavros will be along to confirm (or not).

NNF

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 04:18:19 pm »

I had this. The cause was the paint while dry is still soft. The weight of the boat focused on a few points where the stand touches the hull has dented the lacquer. In colder weather it can take a long time for paint to harden.

John

NoNuFink

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 09:21:21 am »

Here you go
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49010.msg539652.html#msg539652

Reply 38 :

White primer is the culprit....tried drying it with an ibfrared proffesional heater in the garage as an expetiment ...oversrayed with gloss same treatment      still marks in 48hours.....grey primer used no marks.....not a mux of makes at all..
.....culprit in my proffesional opinion 

bobgrimward

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 09:43:04 am »

Thanks Gents. It would appear from the link that I am over spraying and not giving enough time too dry. A lesson learnt for the future.
Bob Grimward

Onetenor

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 12:06:11 am »

Thanks Gents. It would appear from the link that I am over spraying and not giving enough time too dry. A lesson learnt for the future.

THIN coats allowed to dry and rubbed down between coats.This applies to the primer ,especially the white primer.Most people  apply primer too thickly anyway. Sanding opens the skin and allows it to breathe / dry .Leave Primer a week to dry then follow with the very light finishing coats :-))

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 04:56:36 pm »

So I heeded Stavros' advice and used the triple qx grey primer, eurocarparts own brand and a Halfords top coat (not appliance gloss white) and all it tickerty boo. I had to remove all paint before re-prime ring though as the triple qx primer reacted with the Halfords paint left on the hull. I've also changed stand design, following other advice on here so it is just st a baseboard with rails either side of the keel and under the bilge keels. It's less elegant than other stands but has worked for me. I'll try to take a pic later.

I'd be surprised if it's 'cos you're using too much paint. I left mine for weeks if not months with the Halfords primer and had the same issue. Even with 'stavros' ' primer I've still not had the heart to try the d stand!

Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.