Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rudders  (Read 1735 times)

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Rudders
« on: March 18, 2017, 06:01:39 pm »

Can anyone help? on my ongoing repairs of my Smit Rotterdam/London I've found one of the rudders had worked loose from the brass shaft that attaches the full length of the rudder before fitting into the tab that comes off the kort nozzle what do people use to bond the wooden rudders to the brass shaft? do you just use an epoxy 2 part glue? or have you got something better that you recommend

tia
Paul

david48

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Rudders
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 10:47:57 am »

I solder a brass tang to the shaft then attach the rudder  ,laminate the wood either side of the tangs ,then shape .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 11:07:36 am »

Thanks for the reply David yes that seems the best idea  :-))
I think I'll remake some new rudders in the near future as these have seen better days but for now I've repaired the old one with epoxy glue it'll hold for a while yet, but I will make some full brass ones I think as they look nice 

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 11:39:51 am »

Soldering a tang and adding wood sleeves is a good method. An alternative, if the diameter of the rudder shaft allows it, is to make the shaft out of brass tube and drill horizontal holes through it to allow thin brass rods to be soldered in to act as tangs. Use brass sheet for the rudder blade and cut thin slots part way across to accept the rods, then solder the blade to the tube (and rods) as described by David. This is a 'belt and braces' method which provides extra mechanical strength. You can also feed and glue brass rod into the lower and upper ends of the rudder shaft to strengthen it further.

Maybe a bit of overkill there but it is very easy to do.

Colin

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 12:53:39 pm »

Soldering a tang and adding wood sleeves is a good method. An alternative, if the diameter of the rudder shaft allows it, is to make the shaft out of brass tube and drill horizontal holes through it to allow thin brass rods to be soldered in to act as tangs. Use brass sheet for the rudder blade and cut thin slots part way across to accept the rods, then solder the blade to the tube (and rods) as described by David. This is a 'belt and braces' method which provides extra mechanical strength. You can also feed and glue brass rod into the lower and upper ends of the rudder shaft to strengthen it further.

Maybe a bit of overkill there but it is very easy to do.

Colin

Thanks Colin some great advise there, I think I'll do the 2nd method as I like soldering and I love the brass on model boats

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 04:15:36 pm »

I made the rudder on my Jim Wilder tug per the kit instructions.  Glue the rudder shaft to the plywood rudder (they are the same thickness/diameter).  Then wrap the assembly with light fiberglass cloth and epoxy.  It has lasted 5 years so far.  And I made the rudder 30% larger in area than called for, so there is more twisting moment on it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.887 seconds with 21 queries.