Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Signal Canon  (Read 5350 times)

flyte

• Full Mayhemer
  • The fog on the Tyne belongs to everyone.
Signal Canon
« on: March 22, 2017, 01:05:34 pm »

Hi everyone, or should I say howdy as this is directed more at our American friends. I'm in the UK as you can see and yesterday I had another of my impulse buys  %)   I bought a signal canon. Its a W.R.A.Co (Winchester) 10 gauge/bore blank firing gun as used to start boat races etc.

I need some help in identifying it so I'll tell you what I know so far.....  the carriage is cast iron and looks to be painted with black enamel,  the barrel is chromed steel,  under the barrel its stamped 276, on top its hard to make out, it looks like a bad stamping of "manufactured", along with 2 symbols I dont recognise. From the condition I would guess it has some age. I tired to show the condition in the pics, it has a few tiny dings and some slight pitting, but its sound and is operational, I would be grateful for any help in dating etc, which brings me to me next question, more for my UK friends......

First off, I dont fancy being arrested  {-) ok, prison food is pretty good now and it would get me out of the bedroom tax, but I have a bad back and bending in the shower would be a problem ( I cant straighten up quickly these days).  From what I've read 10 gauge is classed as obsolete caliber so it should be ok, its also classed as "collectable", does anyone know for sure ?

(10gauge cartridges which are classed as antique/obsolete caliber under section 58 (2) of the firearms act)

Not sure where this should go ! more help needed !

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Signal Canon
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 02:24:58 pm »

Hi, what a beautiful looking little collectors object.

I saw a small one of those used to start a yacht race from outside the Royal Corinthians Yacht club on the Isle of Wight some years ago.

on an off chance it might be an avenue to contact those yacht clubs on the prom at Cowes to ask what they use to make the big bang go well.

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

aeronut

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 02:34:41 pm »

Don't think there's anything illegal about buying blanks, or the device to fire them.  Here's a 12g tripwire alarm that's sold in lots of places, no licence required.  Do heed warnings about the use of black powder though - it can be quite corrosive.
Gordon

flyte

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 02:35:53 pm »

Hi Jim and thanks, it might be worth a try sending a few emails. Just found this on youtube.........WoW !  ahahahahah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3-Ocy_yZt0

flyte

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 02:37:31 pm »

Thanks aeronut,  yes I think I'm ok with it, I can unbolt the doors now  O0

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 02:44:15 pm »

Hi Jim and thanks, it might be worth a try sending a few emails. Just found this on youtube.........WoW !  ahahahahah

I want one.........that'll get rid of the cats catterwallering at night. lol. {-) {-) {-)

Jim.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 02:49:52 pm »

I'm not one for profanity but.... B[@#%]I[&}*{# hell !!!!!!   :o  :o :o

.... anyone got one for Wicksteed?!   {-)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

aeronut

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 04:27:10 pm »

Well, Flyte's got one and he just needs some ammo for it.
Gordon

flyte

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 07:35:15 pm »

I haven't decided what I'm going to do with it yet, tbh I dont know its value in the UK either but I wouldn't be looking to make a profit, and it would probably cost an arm and a leg to post  {:-{ I also need to find out if you can get cartridges here, I wouldn't want it to be a useless ornament ! this thing needs to go BANG.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 07:58:45 pm »

Its lovely just as an ornament.

I'd give it a good home, honist I wud mista.

Jim O0 .

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 11:33:47 am »

There is a possibility it is a Part 1 Firearm ie. capable of firing shot. Your best bet would be to contact your Force Firearms Officer through your local Police Station. They will be able to advise you if it is a 'firearm' or not and confirm if a Firearm Certificate is required. This will give you peace of mind and perhaps keep you out of the cells!  :-))

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 01:07:58 pm »

I have just had a chat with the firearms licencing officer at Lancashire constabulary headquarters. who googled the model and told me that a firearms licence IS NEEDED, if one wants to have it as is. This would cost £88.00p for 5 years and there is a 6 month waiting list for one. However if it were deactivated for firing cartridges, even though obscelete, it could be used for firing smoke canisters. {:-{ <:(

My dreams have gone up in smoke.

Jim.

furball

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2017, 01:48:56 pm »

I would have thought that being a smoothbore, it would be counted as a shotgun, and would only need a shotgun certificate, rather than a firearms licence - it's a long time since I had a shotgun though.

You'd still need to keep it in a proper gun cabinet.

Lance

flyte

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 01:58:06 pm »

Oh Lord ! the Laws in this country are insane, this is a signal canon and was never intended to fire a projectile, its like saying that you need a firearms license to buy a length of steel tubing in case you stuff it with gunpowder !  I just read an article from last year where a guy in the Midlands had his 6" brass model canon confiscated and destroyed, its madness, thousands of people have similar items, their for sale all the time, even on Ebay.

For the time being I'm going to ask a family member who holds a license to look after it, though I think he still has to inform them he has it.

I didn't even give it a thought when I bought it, I mean, who in there right mind would consider it a deadly weapon ? can you imagine carrying it into the post office and demanding money ?

I have a friend who was a copper till he retired, I still think as its a collectable and I can prove I am a collector, plus the obsolete caliber thing, that I should be allowed to keep it so long as I dont have ammunition, so I'm going to give him a ring now.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 02:02:33 pm »

Oh Lord ! the Laws in this country are insane,

on the contrary flyte, had we had liberal gun laws like you have in the USA  god knows HOW MANY INNOCENT PEOPLE would have been murdered yesterday.

thank god,  for our "INSANE" gun laws >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( >>:-( <*< <*< <*< <*<

Jim.

flyte

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2017, 02:34:57 pm »

Mate, I live in the UK  :o and I certainly wasn't talking about people buying buying uzi's or shooting people, I shouldn't have to explain my comments but here goes, I was completely in agreement when they changed the laws, we have a system that keeps "legal" guns out of the hands of most idiots, but this is different and I wont go over it again, I've already explained. The problem is when Laws get changed they invariably go much further than is necessary, as in this case. I am not in any way a criminal, I dont break the Law, I am a nice guy who's hobby is collecting, dont try to make me out to be something else !

By the way, I find your comments about yesterdays events very offensive and uncalled for, and you completely missed the point of that attack, do you seriously think for one minute that terrorists in this country cant get hold of weapons ? the point was to create panic and terror and it succeeded.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2017, 02:45:16 pm »

Mate, I live in the UK  :o and I certainly wasn't talking about people buying buying uzi's or shooting people, I shouldn't have to explain my comments but here goes, I was completely in agreement when they changed the laws, we have a system that keeps "legal" guns out of the hands of most idiots, but this is different and I wont go over it again, I've already explained. The problem is when Laws get changed they invariably go much further than is necessary, as in this case. I am not in any way a criminal, I dont break the Law, I am a nice guy who's hobby is collecting, dont try to make me out to be something else !

never implied anything of the sort,in fact was just trying to help you....... but to say our laws, when talking about "fire arms" is insane is both crass and ludicrous, never mind insensitive under  present circumstances, and certainly not in the best of taste.

Jim.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2017, 02:45:54 pm »

Its a cannon, a CANNON - Arghhh!

A canon is a clergyman.

Colin

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2017, 02:49:44 pm »

and you completely missed the point of that attack,

I don't believe there was a point to that attack.

and please.........i'm not your mate.

thank you.

flyte

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2017, 03:10:40 pm »

You need to read your comments again BFSMP

Anyhow, I just got off the phone to the auction house where I bought it, they deal in everything including firearms, they say I dont have a problem, under Law they would have to state that the canon required a firearms certificate or they would face prosecution , but it doesn't.  I want one more confirmation from my mate (no, obviously not you BFSM) and I'll decide what to do.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2017, 03:57:05 pm »

well, it seems that it's your problem flyte, and with an attitude like you have displayed, probably one you will have to bare and live with, because I for one would no longer be interested, after what the police fire arms licencing [past sergeant in an ARU]officer told me this morning, and I think he should know as he issues licences on a daily basis.

good luck, and good day to you.

Jim.

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2017, 05:18:28 pm »

A canon is a clergyman.

I thought it was a camera, Colin {-)

Jim.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2017, 12:34:00 pm »

In a former life when I dealt with such firearms (and this is certainly a firearm) each case was judged individually on its own merits. There are many exceptions to the rule about whether a Firearm Certificate is required - or not. This particular item may only be designed as a signal cannon, but the fact that it can possibly discharge shot (innocently or otherwise!) makes it worthy of control.  Even imitation firearms are subject to regulations - whether we like them or not and they are there for our protection.

Nemo

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2017, 07:28:39 pm »

I thought it was a camera, Colin {-)
Jim.

I've got one of them, but only one so I suppose it must be a Single Canon?   %%

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2017, 07:30:50 pm »

I've got one of them, but only one so I suppose it must be a Single Canon?   %%

Very good, Nemo, {-) {-) {-)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 21 queries.