Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY 3D printer - make your own  (Read 3221 times)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
DIY 3D printer - make your own
« on: March 28, 2017, 04:43:09 am »

Instructables.com is a great site.
There are projects here for making your own 3D printer. http://www.instructables.com/howto/3d+printer/

If you are in a club, and you make one of these, you may never have to buy a beer again  %%
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
Re: DIY 3D printer - make your own
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 04:53:22 am »

WHAT IT MAKES BEER!!! I'M IN. I hear they make bacon sandwiches as well!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 11:50:06 am »

There is a site out there that has 3d print files of all the printable parts for a 3d printer

grendel

• Full Mayhemer

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 12:49:11 pm »

https://www.idig3dprinting.co.uk/shop/models/ultimaker-original-build-files/

:o :o :o

Methinks this is a chicken or the egg situation and what is just around the corner.

Nevertheless that is a good price for the "files"  :-))  O0  :-)) O0 :-)) O0
Gunna build those other boats one day.

iDig3Dprinting

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 10:02:14 am »

Hi All,

Sorry to intrude upon your forum but we thought we could add to this discussion and make ourselves available to anybody who has any questions about using a 3D printer, and in this context, building your own.

We do indeed have the files for building a Ultimaker 3d printer freely available. That is one of the beauties of the 3D printing community, much of the information is freely available and people make their designs free to download.

Building a 3D printer is actually quite simple all you need is a modicum of diy skills. Rather than following the link to the ultimaker files I would suggest that you take a look at our guide to building a 3D printer . This should have all the information you need to start a build project yourselves. Part 2 has a good introduction to the parts you need and a bit of a discussion on how to go about choosing your parts.

It doesn't have to be an expensive project. The variation in expense comes down to the quality of the parts that you buy. For instance the printer we built (A Prusa i3 rework) uses LM8uu bearings, you can buy cheap Chinese imports for £1.00 each or go for high end production grade bearings and pay £30.00 each. The difference is obviously build quality.

The only issue I can foresee in terms of building Boat parts using FDM (uses plastic extrusion) is whether the resultant piece would be water tight. This method lays the plastic down in layers so you would need very good interlayer adhesion so that water could not get in. But varying the number of layers that were used to build the shell of the model would probably reduce this risk.

Anyway, If you have any questions please don't hesitate to get in touch. We will do our best to respond to questions on the forum or you can email us via the contact form on our website.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 21 queries.