Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Al Khubar build  (Read 20310 times)

Del Boy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem really helps me out!
Al Khubar build
« on: March 28, 2017, 09:37:50 pm »

Hi there, first to introduce myself ...... I am about to build my first scale ship and a good pal recommended the MS Conserver kit. I was so impressed with the build by Locksley on this forum I went ahead to try and buy it but ..... unfortunately no longer available. Back to the drawing board and selected the Al Khubar also from MS. Jackie was extremely knowledgeable and helped a great deal and the kit arrived yesterday, superbly packed so I now have high hopes of getting started. I was thinking about installing two Graupner 600's with the two 50mm 4 blade brass props MS supplied. Has anyone either tried this setup or have any alternative suggestions. I want to stick to Brushed cans if possible for other reasons. Thanks in advance!
Derek

Stavros

Re: Al Khubar build
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 10:35:32 pm »

If I was you I would go with whatever Model Slipway recommend

Dave

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 07:29:39 pm »

Hello Derek

I built the Al Khubar as my first motorised boat about 10 years ago. I bought it from Westbourne Models and was recommended to fit two MFA geared motors, can't remember the ratio, which gave it a good performance. As knowledge and experience grew I found them noisy. I would now suggest a couple of Mabuchi 555 from Componenet Shop. About half the price and a good motor for this sort of boat.

John

Del Boy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2017, 08:01:17 pm »

Hi Dave, John,

Thanks to both of you for your advice. I did ask MS as the instructions say 'we used 6:1 geared 540's running on 12v in the prototype' but that was probably some time ago so I called them to see if that was still the recommendation and the suggestion was to ask Component Shop. I have not had the time in working hours to do that yet but hopefully tomorrow or Friday!

I have just joined the SRCMBC and it was also suggested to go direct drive because of the noisy gearboxes so will certainly be taking all your advice.

I like the idea of twin 555's, as you say cheap and also a good range of mounts to boot.

Please forgive the simple picture attached, just wanted to try an upload and see the result.

Thanks both again, much appreciated.

Derek

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 07:47:14 pm »

Hello Derek

I am a member of SRCMBC as well, see you at the lake. Ask David or Lorna to point me out or you can see my picture on the Solent Website.

John Tybjerg

Del Boy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 09:28:29 pm »

Hi John that's great! Do you favour Thursdays or Sundays? I expect to be in Yarmouth this weekend but after that will get there. Look forward to meeting you!
Derek

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 09:37:11 pm »

Hello Derek

I normally go Sundays. You will find a lot of good advice is available. I don't go the first Sunday of the month as I have another standing commitment but otherwise, weather permitting, I am usually there by 1000-1030.

John

Del Boy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 07:54:31 am »

Hi,

At last found some time to start. Just made up a base to hold the hull as suggested by MS. Not much but off and running!

Derek

TugCowboy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2017, 11:33:17 am »

It's a start! Now better make something it can hold.
Look forward to seeing more of the build as it progresses.

T33cno

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2017, 12:40:06 pm »

Watching with interest  :-))

Del Boy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 07:01:18 pm »

So spurred on by TugCowboy's comment  {-) found some time to start to set up the running gear on STBD. Not easy lots of fingers needed! Even using the jig suggested by MS this is not going to be easy to align the prop tubes , kort nozzles, A frames etc. but will try!

T33cno

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 07:10:48 pm »

For my Portgarth I made this with same hole centres inboard and outboard to ensure shafts were parallel

Del Boy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2017, 10:08:05 pm »

Hi Andy, you beat me to it! I saw your albums last night and started to appreciate your work. Loads of questions I am afraid. Firstly I think I see you have mounted the motors on a metal plate, is this out of experience, I was simply thinking plywood? Secondly what are the vertical tubes on the two prop shafts for? Not seen this before. Longshanks had suggested making up a robust jig to ensure the best alignment and I am planning to try that tomorrow and your pictures show me how so great thanks. I really will try and set up the jig you have made to line up the shafts correctly. I must admit I struggled to mark up the positions on the hull so was a bit hit and miss with that but your photos show that you made very accurate measurements on your hull. I will try again and emulate for the port side at the weekend. Thanks again for your help, really appreciated.  Derek

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2017, 04:23:30 am »

For my Portgarth I made this with same hole centres inboard and outboard to ensure shafts were parallel

Clever! Me Like it!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

T33cno

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2017, 06:04:11 am »

Hi Derek
It is all detailed here
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,57583.0.html

The tubes are for applying oil and are made to order by MMM
The mounts and many other parts are made from paxolin but it's all on the thread Andy  :-))

Edit
No I'm not experienced and some things I've done are I believe a first as I'm not lead by tradition. Other things I would be lost without the valuable advice of forum members

Del Boy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 12:28:05 pm »

After major trauma trying to position motors, shafts, props, kort nozzles, rudder tubes, A Frames and Skegs I had to take a break, just getting no where fast. Just could not get proper alignment so decided to try something different and started to cut the slots above the deck for drainage. I used a Brad point drill in my handheld 40 year old Stanley and it worked really well even if it did take ages! Apologies for the out of focus picture but I think you get the principle. If anyone has advice on an Al Khubar alignment method I am all ears (and eyes)!!!

Derek

Del Boy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 12:32:26 pm »

After finishing drilling I simply joined the various holes and attempted to turn them into reasonable looking drainage slots.
Derek

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 04:23:20 pm »

looks smart and accurate to me, delboy :-))

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

Del Boy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 09:34:37 pm »

After a long and not so hot summer back in the workshop! First task was to align the shafts and rudder bushes and I have simply expoxied the tops of the A frames in and then added the lower rudder support, advice from Longshanks and many others was applied to a) put stiff tubes around the two couplings to keep them straight and then b) as T33cno suggested put two plates inside and out to keep the shafts parallel and finally c) Longshanks again suggested cut outs for the final prop positions. I don't mind admitting I found this all very difficult and I have made some mistakes but you have to start somewhere! I grew up on Tamiya kit precision so this is a new adventure.  ok2

Del Boy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 08:33:38 pm »

T33cno

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2017, 08:58:45 pm »

Looks tidy Derek  :-))

Del Boy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2017, 08:46:13 pm »

Hi there, I have had a couple of you ask what I meant by 'a) put stiff tubes around the two couplings to keep them straight'. This was a suggestion from Longshanks saying cut a tube so that it fits tight over the coupling before epoxy is applied to the prop shaft to get a direct and straight drive train. First photo shows the Brass tube lose over the shaft and second is with the tube pushed tight over the UJ. It worked a treat!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155484366@N08/37766420762/in/album-72157687411062660/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/155484366@N08/37088842664/in/album-72157687411062660/

Hope it helps others who are starting this for the first time as it did me!

Cheers

Derek

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 09:03:49 pm »

Using stiff tubes to link the shafts and motors while settig the drive train up is a well tried and oft used technique. She looks a fine model Del Boy  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Del Boy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2017, 07:08:36 pm »

Thanks ballastanksian, all thanks to others!

Also thanks to 'Storm Brian' I found the time to mount the two motors and then do a trial with the radio kit, rudder mixer etc. Works pretty well but will need to rejig the starboard side, getting a rough sound from that drive train. I had only tacked the drive train in place so should be easy to break that and reset (what am I saying!). Please ignore my terrible soldering, had a dreadful time on the motor casings, just could not get it to take........

https://www.flickr.com/photos/155484366@N08/37835755091/in/dateposted-public/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/155484366@N08/37578163440/in/dateposted-public/

T33cno

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2017, 07:26:13 pm »

Good work.
Do both props turn freely by hand? one may be tight.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.