Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gluing problem  (Read 3259 times)

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too late for a happy childhood
Gluing problem
« on: March 31, 2017, 03:38:43 pm »

I was under the impression that the laser cut parts in my Speedline kit were made from perspex and could be glued with a solvent applied to the edges. However I have found that some of the laser cut sheets are in a white plastic type material and I have found that it does not react at all with a solvent. The solvent works fine with clear perspex but not on the white stuff in the kit.
Can anyone shed any light on this? Am I using the wrong solvent ?(although it is a proprietary brand that works on clear perspex)
I notice on the photos of the build by Terry Small, the parts I am talking about were clear perspex but they are now white. Has Speedline changed the material?
If I cant use a solvent what alternative Glues are available that suit edge to edge bonding?
Les

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Gluing problem
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 04:25:12 pm »

Ask Adrian, Flundle (Speedline Models)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

pipster

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 07:01:39 pm »

I think the white plastic for the wheelhouse is abs. I had the same problem using ema plastic weld to glue it but have now discovered deluxe's plastic magic and that works loads better.
Phil

gerard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 11:54:50 pm »

Hi Les, I found that the solvent that is used for joining abs plastic plumbing waste pipes,used sparingly, will join in a few seconds. Gerard

Flundle (Speedline Models)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 09:34:13 am »

I have replied to an email from Les regarding this issue. I use acrylic mostly but HIPS and ABS sometimes. All these glue OK and Les has sent me samples from his kit.
I recommend Plastic Weld (Dichloromethane) but itself is funny stuff. If you leave the top off the bottle the active agent in the bottle evaporates leaving the undiluted fluid in the bottle behind so you don't notice. Keep the top on as much as possible else the glue becomes 'tired' and that may be the problem and indeed that is what I expect to find with the samples Les is sending me arrive.
I'll post on here to keep you informed.
Adrian

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 12:58:34 pm »

for ABS acetone is a good solvent (I use it on the parts from my 3d printer to stabilise the laminations).

craggle

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boaty McBoatface
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 02:58:35 pm »

I used Tensol 12 on the white parts in my Kit Adrian and that seemed to work fine. We both bought our kits at the same time so suspect it's the same material.

Craig.

Model Slipway Envoy tug built.
Huge Lifeboat under construction.

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too late for a happy childhood
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 04:31:54 pm »

It seems that the solvent I was using although a proprietary item and stated as suitable for abs was less than aggressive on abs. It did work quickly on perspex. I have now bought a different solvent and it has done the job.
Les
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 21 queries.