Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Propellors, Left, Right  (Read 2692 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Propellors, Left, Right
« on: April 07, 2017, 06:33:56 pm »

I always forget so I thought I'd through this in the mix for reference:

"A propeller that turns clockwise to produce forward thrust, when viewed from aft, is called right-handed. One that turns anticlockwise is said to be left-handed. Larger vessels often have twin screws to reduce heeling torque, counter-rotating propellers, the starboard screw is usually right-handed and the port left-handed, this is called outward turning."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propeller
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: Propellors, Left, Right
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 08:13:25 pm »

This is very useful to have on here. Perhaps a new room with formulae (Working out weights, draught, scale speed etc), rules of ship navigation (Port/Starboard, Light colours etc) and this would be worth having in the master class room?

Ally that with hints and tips and you would have a rich resource as our fellow Mayhemers are popping out superb ones almost daily.
Pond weed is your enemy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 10:17:11 pm »

I do agree that is a useful reference Martin :-))....so was a little surprised to see the current Imara build progressing with twin inboard turning props :o

However the Caldercraft plans clearly confirm this........... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 12:21:52 am »

That is possibly just expediency Derek. I did the original Model Boats magazine review of the twin screw version of Imara. My model almost totally ignored the rudder and the only way I could get it to turn within the orbit of the moon was to use tank steering. In such circumstances inward turning screws are a necessity on the model irrespective of what the full size vessel was fitted with.

Colin

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 04:08:06 am »

Just to further confuse Colin, I knew I had seen a number of Imara builds with outboard turning propellers...

Please excuse  :o the original lighting in the image

Didn't we have an MBM member 'Wallace' also building an Imara some years back?

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 08:19:49 am »

To throw a bit of confusion in, some nations like UK look at the prop from astern, others look down the shaft from inside the boat, therefore putting the opposite labels on their propellers.  Something to watch for if buying props that originate from, say, Germany.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

T33cno

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 09:05:59 am »

To throw a bit of confusion in, some nations like UK look at the prop from astern, others look down the shaft from inside the boat, therefore putting the opposite labels on their propellers.  Something to watch for if buying props that originate from, say, Germany.

If buying a pair it won't matter as they'll still be a left and right so just fit accordingly

Brian60

• Full Mayhemer
  • Location: Hull,UK-but currently residing in Los Martinez, Spain.
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 03:26:57 pm »

Here's another one.... anchor handling / offshore tugs use outward turning props. The reasoning is that due to the super low freeboard at the stern, the propwash will act against the hull pushing it up rather than sinking it even lower in the water whilst towing.

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2017, 12:38:26 pm »

When using a single propeller shaft, it is common sense to use to use a prop that will keep tight when driving forward. As most screw threads on things like nuts and props are threaded to tighten when turned to the right, the left hand rotation of the shaft tends to tighten the prop up tighter and stops it from falling off. This is the main reason why most props on models turn to the Left when looking at the boat from the rear (Stern)

However the rule goes out of the window when going hard into reverse, which can undo the prop. Hence we should fit a locking nut in front of the prop and tighten this up against the prop (Not the shaft!!) It is also essential to fit a thin 'Thrust washer' between the locking nut and the outer shaft bearing so the forward motion of the shaft is borne by the the propshaft outer bearing, not the coupling or the motor itself.

This is straightforward enough until we fit a second, counter rotating shaft, whether the props are inward or outward turning, one of them will want to undo in forward motion and the other one will try to undo in reverse, so the locking nuts are essential here, and maybe a little breakable Loctite as well.

The number of times I have commiserated with a club member because he has lost his propeller, and usually an expensive one at that. When asked if he fitted a locking nut, the answer is nearly always 'No!'

An easy way to remember Port and Starboard is looking forward, Port is on the Left...4 letters in each word.... Starboard and Right do not have 4 letters, so they can't be Left........Can They?

Ron.

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 01:09:48 pm »

An easy way to remember Port and Starboard is looking forward, Port is on the Left...4 letters in each word.... Starboard and Right do not have 4 letters, so they can't be Left........Can They?

Ron.

What is taught in OZ, There is always a little left in the Port. (Port wine)

Is there some way to stop/prevent prop shaft 'pulling' against the motor in reverse or is it don't use reverse too often.

Most, if not all motors have fore and aft shaft movement. The lock nut/thrust washer as stated handles the forward motor shaft motion, but what about reverse?
Gunna build those other boats one day.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2017, 01:39:58 pm »

The usual practice would be to fit a collett on the inboard end of the shaft. This enables you to set the shaft up with minimal clearance at each end which prevents it moving in either direction. A washer between the collett and end of the tube takes the thrust when going astern.

This means that the motor only has to exert a turning action and no axial load is imposed on its bearings.

In the photo below you can see the colletts in place between the pulleys and tube ends

Colin

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2017, 03:21:58 pm »

Red Port is well left alone 8)

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2017, 04:54:26 pm »

What is taught in OZ, There is always a little left in the Port. (Port wine)

As a new born baby helmsman on my first ship, I was in a bit of a tizwas as to which was port & starboard until the leading hand of the watch calmly said to me "just remember the there is always a little bit of port left in the bottle". One of the best bits of advice I have ever received.

LB

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2017, 05:50:03 pm »

Shortest words - Left   Port    Red.

Longest words - Right   Starboard  Green.

Easy ennit....

Dave
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2017, 08:18:50 pm »

Most, if not all motors have fore and aft shaft movement. The lock nut/thrust washer as stated handles the forward motor shaft motion, but what about reverse?
A collet if there is a lot of space inboard, or packing washers that become thrust washers in reverse.  Or even a spacing sleeve.  But on a smaller model where the coupler is a plastic or rubber tube push fitted to the prop shaft, a collet is essential as a mate found out when he lost a prop and shaft, pulled out of the boat completely.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

RAAArtyGunner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2017, 09:48:06 pm »

Colin & Malcolm,

Thank you  :-)) :-)) :-))

Port,
Aha, Now I see the English ancestry of the some left in port teaching O0 O0 {-) {-)
Gunna build those other boats one day.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.