Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: engine runs for a few seconds then stops  (Read 4607 times)

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
Re: engine runs for a few seconds then stops
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2017, 03:22:29 pm »

A friend has fitted both a TVR and a Cheddar steam engine to his Victoria steam boat. The oscillator lasted two sailing sessions before it was replaced with the TVR which had twice the power and better steam consumption.
As for the TVR needing continual adjustment I have not found this to be the case. Yes they can be a pain to set up but once set they do not require constant fiddle. In three years I have replaced one set of O rings.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2017, 05:22:25 pm »

I have to agree with Steam Up. Assemble aTVR correctly and it'll run great. No further adjustment needed. I have had a couple of issues with mine in 5 years of use but they were both my fault.
I found the instructions clear , concise and understandable.
His communications leave a lot to be desired but when I ordered a new valve drive rod with an explanation he sent three, free of charge by return of post. He never seems to answer an email.
Jerry.

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2017, 08:02:26 am »

Hi, I've had my TVR1A for several years and no trouble at all. I haven't used it in a boat though, just ran it on air and steam once in a while.
I feel it is a very good engine (especially for the money). However it is not the ideal beginner engine (if you buy the kit version, which I did), because  it is rather complicated to build and adjust. You mechanical skills will reflect in the running of the engine. And you need to make sure parts won't work loose and upset the timing. Loctite them in once you have found the right setting.
I also have to say that all kit parts fit very well, without any problems. After some running in on a drill, the engine ran very smooth and controllable.

Regarding twin oscillating engines: they are the closest a steam engine can get to "plug and play". Simple, reliable and well suited for beginners.

xrad

• Full Mayhemer
  • Keeper of the Sun Dried Tomato
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2017, 06:02:58 pm »

Locktite is absolutely needed for the screws of the valve-gear. The will work loose. I do wish they made the valve gear parts in bronze or brass,  but I never had any trouble with the aluminum pieces.  I would not want to have to remove the loctite'd screws so make sure everything is where u need it before locking into place.

It is a great kit to build.  Several good meditation hours....

steam up

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2017, 07:27:31 pm »

Thread lock does the job fine and I agree it is a must
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.