Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model boats on Radio 3  (Read 2207 times)

davidm1945

• Full Mayhemer
Model boats on Radio 3
« on: April 19, 2017, 08:29:01 pm »

Hi all,
     Saw an article in Daily Telegraph today referring to a programme on Radio 3. It is called "The Essay : Hanging On" and was broadcast on Monday 17th April. It defines model boating as "a nearly extinct social phenomenon".
     Anybody hear it and care to comment......

Dave.
Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do. Robert A Heinlein.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model boats on Radio 3
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 08:32:40 pm »

Practised by ancient fossils - sounds about right.....

Colin

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 08:55:59 pm »

Radio 3, nearly extinct social phenomenon, so....no!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 09:01:54 pm »

Whatever my signature says
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 09:16:34 pm »

A nearly extinct phenomenon? What like printed newspapers? So what if the general membership of the hobby is getting older? We are still having fun and do not need saddo journalists commenting on what they know little about  >:-o
Pond weed is your enemy

Stavros

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 09:28:38 pm »

Practised by ancient fossils - sounds about right.....

Colin

How do you come to this assumption Colin are you quoting chapter and verse off the program or is it one of your thoughts

Dave

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 09:49:44 pm »

Just being ironic Dave - take no notice.

As ballastanksian says, it's journalists not knowing what they are talking about.

Of course model boating has been generally in decline for years, just think back to the period up to say, the late 70s, when it was still a significant hobby area although by then it was very much second fiddle to aeromodelling.

It's not just model boating though, the whole idea of actually making things with your hands as a hobby is not something that today's younger people are familiar with. When I got married in the early 70s we made a lot of our own furniture as we couldn't afford to buy it. My Wife made her own wedding dress and made a superb job of it as well.

I've still got a garage full of stuff which 'might come in useful one day' - and frequently it still does. If something goes wrong then I try to fix it myself (except the car which is a total mystery under the bonnet - but I don't miss messing around with the distributor, timing plugs and heaven knows what else which was needed to keep the old bangers on the road).

Colin

BFSMP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 11:47:51 pm »

A nearly extinct phenomenon? What like printed newspapers? So what if the general membership of the hobby is getting older? We are still having fun and do not need saddo journalists commenting on what they know little about  >:-o

can I categorically change that statement to........"what they know absolutely nothing about"

Jim.
life is like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic!

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 03:23:43 am »

Hi, just listened to the podcast,
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08mdcj2

The Luxembourg Gardens are lovely but my visit a few years ago was fleeting, I think I knew you could hire a pond yacht there.  Never saw the guy myself though.
I suspect the very fact it was on and tailored for the Radio 3 listener (Classic FM is my preference) says a lot and lets face it who else would be prepared to broadcast on this subject.
The essayist has a rather downbeat, not to say deadbeat voice, which no doubt was the intent, after all he is dealing with arcane subjects.
There are not many of us who build and own model yachts and I see no one following on behind me either.
For my part, when asked, I get the broken ones working again, what else can one do?

Regards to all, Roy

Seacommander

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 08:00:54 am »

Interesting subject, with equally interesting outcomes.

I am lucky in life as I have a number of hobbies, I have an old Austin, which some so called journalists approached me to do an article on. To be frank, they were hopeless, no idea about classic cars, were not interested other than producing an article that they could sell. To be honest I should have written the piece myself, adorned with truths and not flowered up crap that they insisted was the situation that was only there to sell the article.

Now, one of my other interests is toy steam engines, Mamod, Wilesco, and more importantly all other fringe manufacturers over the last half century and some before. Now, that is a fringe hobby, with little support and not allot happening.

On the other hand look at Model Boating in comparison to the two above pastimes. Yes not a big as the classic car market, which is huge , but boating keeps two monthly magazines going, a multitude of boat shows, all over the country and lets face it, a quite substantial albeit small manufacturing industry which to it's credit is a world wide business opportunity for the UK. There is also a multitude of internet support, forums and web pages dedicated to boating and a growing vintage scene.

For what it's worth, whilst I accept that it's not mega, from what I see, model boating is going strongly or at least as strongly as it has ever done in the last twenty years.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2017, 08:46:21 am »

The big problem for the hobby is public sailing venues, or the general lack of them. 
A relatively few years ago, I had two within walking distance of home (Harrowside and Starr Gate), both now vanished beneath the sea defenses.  Next town along, one in St Annes grew a leak that will probably never be fixed.  My clubs venue at Fairhaven is under fairly constant threat from councilors who want to "improve" it and make the lake unusable.  Fortunately, they are in a perpetual state of skintness, so the plans remain as just plans.  But if boats are seen on the water, they often invite queries which is the first step to getting a newcomer interested. 
Public lakes are needed for that, private venues are just a secret.

"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 09:10:06 am »

Hi Seacomander that was a spirited response and puts the hobby into some perspective for us.  General perception is another matter.
I checked on radio listener numbers, apparently 2million tune into Radio 3 each week against nearly 6 million for Classic FM.  Radio 4 has around 7 million and Radio 1 8-9 million.  I would guess that all those younger people with ear bugs are listening to their own music.
However these refer to passive activities.

The programme narrator did not travel to Paris specifically to check on model yacht sailing possibly and lived near the other sailing lake mentioned in the U.K.  We have to all agree that Vane sailing is rather rare now, things move on.

These days thee are far fewer people with manual skills and an ability to make things for themselves.  At our annual model show we are frequently asked where to buy the models and when told that we made them ourselves we are greeted with disbelief.
I agree we should celebrate what we can do and show others that they can do it too.

Education pressures on the young, Industry requirements and just surviving in families all play their part and leave little spare time.

About 120 years ago Royalty took to sailing. the public response was the creation of model yachting lakes all over the country so that they could emulate them.
Perhaps we could persuade our Royalty to go back to the sea in imposing sailing boats!
regards (tongue in cheek) Roy

Paul2407

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 11:55:46 am »

They just don't know what they are missing  :} ,
model boats are a lovely peaceful and relaxing pastime which I have to say some of the youngsters should try they are too hyper these days they need to learn to chill, talk to friends (face to face) and get off those damn social media sites like faceache, twatter, instagram etc
Just a shame where I live there isn't many lakes to use and I have to say the lack of clubs around the Brighton area is ridiculous and no wonder the hobby is in decline, Brighton for the 1.6 million people living here doesn't even have a model shop any more last one was Model Zone and they went bankrupt 4/5 years ago so how the youngsters are suppose to get an interest in model making is beyond me 

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 03:50:22 pm »

It's not just model boating though, the whole idea of actually making things with your hands as a hobby is not something that today's younger people are familiar with.

And yet the most profitable digital TV shopping channels are those selling craft products. At least according to people who work on them. The orders are phenominal apparently.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.