Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Offset Rudder?  (Read 335 times)

derekwarner_decoy

• Full Mayhemer
Offset Rudder?
« on: April 20, 2017, 05:13:30 AM »

Folks....the image below depicts a rudder offset within the vessel :o......my limited research suggests the following

one of the interesting things with this vessel is the rudder being offset to the side we now call starboard
   my research ended with text suggesting that sailing vessels berthed on the left going forward, so they were moored to the physical wall of the port & hence the term of port was designated to the left side of the vessel
   the word starboard appears to be a derivation or opposite to port
   the placement of the rudder in the vessel away from the side of the vessel as moored was to ensure mooring ropes did not foul the rudder and made for better manoeuvring during berthing with clean water available

When we research the words Port & Starboard we end up with differing explanations talking about Larboard
This was also the term used for mooring a vessel assisted with oars and also by the left side of the vessel to the port
If anyone has a further comment or explanation would be most welcome O0

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
Re: Offset Rudder?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 06:45:27 AM »

Starboard was a derivation of Steer board, indicating the side that the steering board was
typically located on old ships. (Steered by right handed sailors)

ok2

And since the steering board was on the right, the boats would dock to the port side so
as not to interfere with steering. The could then use PORTers to load the boat, so the
loading side, larboard has it's own history.

8)

CGAux26

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Offset Rudder?
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 03:59:24 PM »

As I have read in the past "larboard" was replaced with "port" when too many mistakes were made when an order was given and misunderstood from "starboard" sounding too much like "larboard" over the noise of the ship and the sea.

Same thing happened in my family when water skiing.  My dad would yell "Ready?" from the boat, and I would say either "Go" or "No."  Over the sound of the engine this created much confusion, until I learned to say "Hit it" for Dad to advance the throttle.  >>:-(
Pages: [1]   Go Up