Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings Experience Level Grading?  (Read 1474 times)

Silfield

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Billings Experience Level Grading?
« on: April 20, 2017, 12:59:52 pm »

Hello,
I am just coming to the end (ish!) of my first build, the Billings Mary Ann, and am looking around for the next project but am in a bit of a quandary regarding the way Billings grade their kits.
The Mary Ann is graded as an 'advanced beginner' and didnt cause me too many problems-although the instructions were a bit basic in places. One of the contenders for the next build is the Billings 'Lilla Dan' that is designated as 'experienced'-does anyone know what I am likely to have to contend with if I go one step up on the difficulty ladder?
Other contenders are the 'FD 10 yawl' and the 'St.Canute', again, by Billings. I am open to suggestions as to other manufacturers but have been sticking to looking at Billings so far as they are familiar.
Thanks

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Billings Experience Level Grading?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 03:54:54 pm »

Hi I had an FD 10 kit part started but I decided it was too fiddly and the planking was very thin. I could not see how it would not show every time it crossed a bulkhead.  So just robbed it for spares.

Do you build as a static model?  As you will never get an FD 10 to sail.

The Lillla Dan is very nice but again rather small for RC.  A late friend of mine enlarged the Lilla Dan plan and built it on an old Graupner Elke hull and it worked very well.
I fancied the St. Rock boat but dislike the build method, and use of MDF.
You should be OK for the grading move, the fact that you are asking is key.  The St. Canute should be no problem for you

Have you gone onto the Billings web site where you can view all the current plans and building instructions?
You get a chance to read without risking the cost.

Worth looking on-line for offers as St. Rock kit varies from £99 to £150.
Good luck,
Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 07:08:53 pm »

If you mean the St Roch kit, I bought one of these and it remains unfinished - not very impressed with it. I only bought it as I had seen the original vessel in Canada.

Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 07:35:51 pm »

Who out there does do good quality kits of similar size ?
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Silfield

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 10:30:57 am »

Thanks Roy for your informative reply. It didnt twig about downloading the plans from Billings site but after having a good look, the ones on the shortlist dont seem too daunting a prospect.
I am only building for static display atm so wont be worrying about internal available space for radio gear etc.
This time I may go for the Lilla Dan as it ticks a lot of boxes and there is less painting to do (my Achilles heel on the current build!)
Thanks.
Ian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.