Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to find article about building "Cumbrae"  (Read 2558 times)

douglas g

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Trying to find article about building "Cumbrae"
« on: April 30, 2017, 07:14:12 am »

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, having just started back into model boats, working on a Dave Metcalf design Sangsetia.

Way back in 1986 I built a "Cumbrae" Clyde pilot boat kit from Caldercraft and subsequently wrote an article about it in a magazine. However, I have lost my copy of the article and I can't remember which magazine and it was and what month so I can get another copy. I think the article must have been in 1987.

I have been through all the contents of Model Boats for 1986, 1987 and 1988 on Magazineexchange.co.uk, but can't find it. I have purchase a copy of Marine Modelling Magazine, October / November 1987 Issue, as it has a review of Cumbrae, but it is not my article. I know that Colin Bishop built a review model of Cumbrae for Model Boats in 1993, but my article would have several years earlier.

Can anyone advise where the article was? My name as author would is Douglas Grindlay.

By the way, I ended up selling my model of Cumbrae as I didn't have storage space at the time and I didn't find it very interesting to operate.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Trying to find article about building "Cumbrae"
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2017, 09:55:19 am »

Have you tried Radio Controlled Boat Modeller? Your article may have been included in the reader's models section and not separately listed but you might recognise the cover.

http://www.magazineexchange.co.uk/radio-control-boat-modeller-magazine/

Colin

douglas g

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2017, 01:33:59 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion. I have looked at Radio Controlled Boat Modeller on Magazine exchange but don't recognise any of the front covers as being the one. The article was two or three pages long, but maybe that would just get listed in the contents under readers models.

Douglas

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2017, 11:29:03 pm »

Hi there Douglas, I think this may be the one although, according to the listing it is sold out: OCTOBER/NOVEMBER 87 U class subs- Dean’s Marine Pinnace Scale Sail Pt2 - Multi Chat - Up Scope - Caldercraft Cumbrae - Vosper 71.5ft MTB - Broadside - Scale Nationals Steam Lines - Modern Navy - Naval Weapons OTO Melara 76/62 - Sail free - Bookworm - Chandlery

I've taken this from a PDF file which I found with a google search:[PDF]back issues - Traplet Publications

res.trapletpublications.com/trapletimages/MMI_backissues_85-90.pdf

6 Oct 2005 - Caldercraft Cumbrae - Vosper 71.5ft. MTB - Broadside ... Jots – sailing novice news • The PBR in. Vietnam .... PER ARTICLE PLUS P&P/S&H.

The search parameter I used was: caldercraft cumbrae magazine articles - hopefully someone on here might have a copy of the magazine. Good luck with your search. :-)

Regards,

Ray.

douglas g

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 09:25:57 am »

Hi Ray,

Many thanks for that. I found that article in Marine Modelling in my Google search last week. As mentioned above, I ordered a copy from magazine Exchange, but now it has arrived, it turns out it is a review by Dave Pearson. Colin Bishop wrote the other review I have found, in Radio Control Boat Modeller Magazine, May - June 1992 Issue.

Cheers,
Douglas

Steerage

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 10:55:24 am »

Hi Douglas,
I am just about to starting building Caldercraft's Cumbrae.  Before I start a project I like to research as much as I can and I was searching this forum when I came across your plea for help in finding past magazine articles.  My search has been fruitless as all magazines appear to be out of stock.

I was wondering if I could be cheeky and ask you to send me a PDF copy of the Cumbrae article you found?  I wouldn't normally ask for a pirate copy but as all other means of finding one have been exhausted I have no alternative.  I would fully understand if you don't want to copy it but it would be of real interest to me.  Please send to:  ************net.com   Many thanks in anticipation,  Roger Bennett.

It is not advisable to put your email onto an open forum

To Contact this member, please click his name tag.

ken

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 02:42:05 pm »

Roger,

If you want my review PM me your email address and I will send you a copy.

Colin

douglas g

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 03:57:25 pm »

I have PMed Roger about his request.

Could I just take the opportunity to bump my own request for help in finding my article about Cumbrae? I have still not identified where it was, but it must have been 1986 or 1987. It was 2 or 3 pages long, so not just a "Readers' models" feature.

Thanks,

Douglas

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 05:02:58 pm »

Cumbrae appears to have been first marketed in January 1987 or thereabouts judging from the adverts. I have looked through the copies of MB I have over the next three years (most of them) and cannot find your article Doug.

Colin

douglas g

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 05:10:00 pm »

Thanks, Colin. It is so annoying - I don't know where my copy of the article went.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 05:30:24 pm »

Is it possible it went to Model Shipwright? They did occasionally publish kit reviews I believe.

Colin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 23 queries.