Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: bait boat motor  (Read 8533 times)

amps

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
bait boat motor
« on: May 07, 2017, 06:27:59 pm »

hi all i m in need of some help
 i have a bait boat that has a fault with the motor and I'm looking for some suggestions on a replacement
 i have pics of the original motor but i am unable to post up due to the size of the files
 here is some info on the boat
 lake reaper
 power 2 x  6 v 4.5 ah sla batteries  i can forward pics via email for verification
 if any one can help  i woud really appreciate it

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: bait boat motor
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 11:14:35 pm »

GOOGLE is an amazing facility %) .......have you considered contacting the 'Home of Lake Reaper'?... O0

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 08:59:49 am »

Measure the length of the motor can.  This will probably be enough of a clue.  If it is 54mm long, probably a 540 or a 600, if 38mm, probably a 380 or 400.  Are the batteries connected in series or parallel?
Picture file sizes are restricted on this site, but most photo /picture handling programs have a "resize" option.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

amps

• Shipmate
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 11:37:46 pm »

the main body is indeed 54mm and the back end has  3  brown looking resistors  soldered  in a daisy chain formation
 and as for contacting the uk supplier they want me to buy the motor and prop shaft system  £ 40   i cant e the point in paying that much  im on a budget
 as fr as im aware  the batteries are connected in paralell but  i wil confirm

amps

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 11:40:26 pm »

another pic

amps

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 11:42:16 pm »

another pic

amps

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 11:52:14 pm »

pic 4

amps

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 11:54:46 pm »

last pic

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2017, 07:26:16 am »

The three items are capacitors, intended to reduce or eliminate radio interference from the motor.
As to the motor, it looks like a fairly generic 540 with a torque ring and a layer of black paint.  If it is a 3 pole motor it is a 540, if a 5, then it's a 545.  You check by gently turning the shaft for a full rotation, counting the number of "notches" you feel, then divide that by 2.  Neither is particularly expensive, but it might be a good idea to check that the rest of the drive  system rotates freely.

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2017, 07:48:43 am »

amps, you say the fault is with the motor but why? Does it blow fuses? Is it seized? Does a resistance meter reading show a dead short or open circuit? Are the suppression capacitors themselves faulty or shorting the motor?

The suppression capacitors tell a story themselves. Sometimes a little knowledge is worse than no knowledge at all.
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

ray123

• Full Mayhemer
  • shuswap tugboat
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2017, 08:14:31 am »

is it from a  anatec bait boat?  if so it is a 540 or could be a 600 '

ive repaired a few anatec's  and im looking into the replacement motors for someone else''   

anatec used graupner  motors speed controls  radio gear

i see its a lake reaper boat   but that motor looks the same as a anatec  :-))

amps

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 06:52:08 pm »

Hi micro gyros.  The motor is not blowing fuses  and it isn't seized
 Basically when I throw the speed stick up in forward or reverse on land the prop will turn with no issues but, as soon as its placed in the water it wont turn as if the water is  causing the resistance to stop it from turning.
I have checked the prop shaft and thats fine.
 so what else could it be

amps

• Shipmate
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 06:55:13 pm »

i have heard a rumor the anatec and reapers are manufactured by the same company in china

amps

• Shipmate
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 06:59:59 pm »

i have counted the  number of notches felt on a full spin and i counted  just over 6 1/4 so would i be right in saying that it is a 3 pole ?

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 07:45:00 pm »

hi micro gyros  the motor is not blowing fuses  and it isnt seized
 basically when i   throw the speed stick up in forward or reverse on land the prop will turn   with no issues but as soon as its placed in the water it wont turn as ifthe water is  causing the resistance to stop it from turning
 i have checked the prop shaft and thats fine
 so what else could it be
On the information you have given, it could be a cut-out mechanism and could be the battery or the speed controller.

You can test the motor direct from a battery if you so wished.
I'd be testing the battery by now. For good measure I'd test the capacitors are not faulty or causing a short.
I'd replace all three by one single disc ceramic capacitor where the large 470nF (marked 474) cap is.

Stavros

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 09:15:31 pm »

Where are you from

Dave

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2017, 09:54:33 pm »

i have counted the  number of notches felt on a full spin and i counted  just over 6 1/4 so would i be right in saying that it is a 3 pole ?
Yes, that would make it a 3 pole 540. 
If it spins up OK but gets stalled under load, it could, like microgyros says, be the battery or a safety thingy in the ESC.  The nice thing about "proper" DC motors is that they can be tested by simply feeding them direct from the battery.  This can remove the ESC from the question, but deciding whether the culprit is the motor or battery (not much else left, really, apart from the wiring) will involve substitution of either or both, or using a mutimeter to measure voltages and currents.  Looking again at the motor pictures, the visible windings look nice and coppery and shiny rather than cooked.  That's one sign that the motor could be healthy.  A tired battery can lose its voltage under load, a spare battery is rarely a bad idea.

amps

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2017, 10:09:09 pm »

batteries are fine as they are brand new but will give  the motor a test cirect on them and go from there

hi dave im base in bedfordshire

amps

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2017, 03:02:02 pm »

as suggested i rad the motor direct from the battery and the motor is turning and  continues to run well when i apply some resistance to the shaft
so i can only assume that it is the  ecs that is causing the issue
 ive been  on the reaper site and they sell a replacement thats rated at 60 ah  is there an alternative i could use or any recommendations for you gents ?

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 03:31:19 pm »

I would be checking the controller's voltage spec and whether the battery is delivering enough voltage on load. If not, it is a corroded or dirty contact, an embedded cutout* in the battery pack going faulty, not charged enough or not the correct voltage.

------------------------------
* multi cell NiMH battery packs have them on occasion.

amps

• Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2017, 05:46:36 pm »

that will be difficult as there no info available for it ant the uk supplier wont help me that is why i am  looking for a suitable replacement i don't have the skills or electronic  knowledge like your self so any help is appreciated

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2017, 07:54:37 pm »

The 60amp ESC might have been rated in delicate Chinese Amps, as opposed to our robust English ones, and has possibly cooked itself.  I would not expect a 540 running on 6 volts to pull a lot of current, but a running test like you did before but with either an ammeter (proper way) or a selection of fuses (rough way) will give a good clue. 
The answer would probably be something like an Mtroniks Viper 15 or 25.  Thats big, strong, English amps. 
Or a 320A one from fleabay.  Chinese amps as found in their speed controls are really tiny delicate things.
I'm assuming that the ESC plugs into the receiver in the normal way. If not, things get more complicated.

stevesteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2017, 01:50:53 am »

go brushless, the motor will be smaller, lighter, more efficient and will never burn out if you look after it, the choice of brushless motors available now is fantastic and there price has become really affordable.

i will never run anything on brushed motors ever again, brushless are 10x better, literally everything i own that was brushed has been converted to brushless.

One place to get great deals is banggood.com everything comes from china and so the prices can be as much as half the price of the same gear in the uk and everything is free shipping and banggood are reliable and trustworthy

I have made 184 orders with them so far and not had a single problem with items not arriving, ive had a couple of faulty items arrive but that happens wherever you shop but they take there reputation and  customer service seriously and deal with problems when they occur.

amps

• Shipmate
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2017, 07:16:32 pm »

finally got a replacement  ecs and got it wired in  and everything  started working perfect until i go full stick reverse then  instead of running at full power it start's and stops  if i increase the sped gradually then there isnt an issue i got the speed controller from amazon its a 320 amp as recomended  any thoughts  as to why its doing that ?

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2017, 09:39:05 pm »

finally got a replacement  ecs and got it wired in  and everything  started working perfect until i go full stick reverse then  instead of running at full power it start's and stops  if i increase the sped gradually then there isnt an issue i got the speed controller from amazon its a 320 amp as recomended  any thoughts  as to why its doing that ?
It is a cut-out mechanism triggering.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.