The Shipyard ( Dry Dock ): Builds & Questions > Navy - Military - Battleships:

HMS Agincourt build project

(1/136) > >>

Bob K:
HMS Agincourt build project

I have been known to take on unusual and challenging projects, like my semi-submersible torpedo ram.  Having seen the prototype of HMS Agincourt I absolutely must have one, despite the serious impracticalities involved.  I have been working on various solutions for some time, and am now on the verge of starting the build.

See also:
HMS Agincourt semi-kit prototype at Deans Marine
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56462.msg589561.html#msg589561

Rotating 7 gun turrets
http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56800.msg590109.html#msg590109

How you get a seven foot long warship into a tiny city ECO car heads the list of challenges.   The lake our club uses will not allow trailers.  The bar over car park entrance rules out a top box.  So, there is only one way.  Build and transport it in sections like our latest aircraft carriers. Careful measurements show I can just get both halves onto the folded down rear seats of my Vauxhall Agila if the hull cut is exactly between the two centre turrets. Two demi-hulls 42 inches ling by eleven inches beam.  My workbench is only 1.6 M, but that will take half a hull at a time.

Joining the halves
Just about every multi section ship I have seen uses bolts nuts and washers, involving a lot of fiddling about on your knees lakeside.  With my iffy legs that is out.  I need a more plug-and-play method.  I looked at how model railway layouts are transported.  Some chunky flange mounted spigots and bosses looked a possible method.  However, after trials it became apparent they would not adequately support the mass involved.  Adapting the principle I figured that if I could mount three substantial tubes in each half of the hull, across several reinforced bulkheads, and use close fitting rods to effect the join, the load would be supported.  Lastly, a substantial adjustable toggle latch in the centre to clamp the supported halves together.  The rods would be transported separately. 

Getting it home
The 2.14 M length of the hull is a “collection only” from Deans Marine. So the next problem is how to get it home.  I am hoping I can arrange something with Ron to cut it in their workshop.   

Electrics
I am not messing around with interconnecting cables, asking for trouble.  The stern half will be fully self contained with its own Rx, ESC’s, mixers and batteries.  The Bow half will be mainly water ballasted, pumps and float switches, but with a matching Rx paired to the same Planet T7 transmitter for additional functionality.

Seven Turrets !
Now for the part that has really filled my sails.  I am going for the full seven turret fire control system mentioned on the above link.  Using stepper motors under the turrets and Arduino’s plus a heading sensor to control their movement.  Basically, you set a ‘compass’ bearing and any/all guns that can train on it will do so, and continue to adjust their bearing as the ship changes course.  Special thanks to C-3PO.

More about that later !!!!

raflaunches:
Well I for one wish you the best of luck and will watch avidly for the updates of this build as it continues. :-))

ballastanksian:
Amen! Capital ships and lots of turrets always float my boat  :} If you can get the hull cut in half properly then everything else will be a breeze relatively speaking, given that you have worked on pumping systems before and the turret control system is being developed by at least two fellow members.

Capt Podge:
Looks like this is going to be an epic build - I like epics so I'll jump aboard and see how this one develops.

Regards,

Ray.

Bob K:
Thank you for the encouragement chaps  :}

This has kinda been in R&D for some time.  Nick B will remember me taking loads of photos at Deans in December.  Ron Dean has cast turrets and a set of running gear for her.  I intend using 2 x Action P93's for the inner pair of prop shafts, and a P94 dual ESC with mixer for the two outer shafts.  I may add about 30% to the rudder area as I have found this greatly assists long warships being able to turn.

The basic shapes of the superstructure look to be well suited to flat or round section fabrication. I am not even thinking about the sheer volume of deck planking and stanchions involved.

One practical revision:  The sides are bristling with secondary armaments that coming alongside could easily destroy.  I intend making those gun barrels in soft grey rubber as they are asking to be broken off.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version