Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Author Topic: HMS Agincourt build project  (Read 160693 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Agincourt build project
« Reply #625 on: June 30, 2018, 11:15:37 am »

Thank you all for the much appreciated advice.  The Mayhem community has such depth of experience and expertise.   O0
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #626 on: June 30, 2018, 01:02:35 pm »

Just watched the video Bob she looks great afloat and the handling looks very realistic, you got to be pleased, I know I would be.  :-))

Joe

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #627 on: June 30, 2018, 02:02:36 pm »

Thank you Joe.  Certainly goes a lot better than its first run at Wicksteed Park.
I am indeed well pleased with the modifications since then
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #628 on: June 30, 2018, 04:46:41 pm »

Looking great Bob :-))

Hope we get to see her again at Ron’s open weekend in September  :-)

And hi by the way from 37 degree Centigrade sunny Akrotiri!!!
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS Agincourt build - not much progress
« Reply #629 on: July 15, 2018, 04:52:40 pm »

Thank you Nick, and yes I will be at Ron Dean's.

Not much progress

Quite a lot of planning on how to create the funnels, tripod masts, stern walk, and torpedo net rolls.  Suggestions given appreciated, I am working on trials with new netting.
However, nothing much to show at this stage. Somewhat hot in the workshop, but a lovely day for sailing at Black Park.  I am starting to get the hang of car-loading and assembling this 2.2 meter monster.

So, spent a couple of hours lazily manoeuvring Agincourt around a fairly busy sea way.  Although large and heavy she does respond nimbly when boxed in by yachts and rowboats.  I am well happy how she sails, although the externals can be rather vulnerable, especially the enlarged rudder.  The little LiFePO4 propulsion battery was still showing all five LED’s on its “fuel gauge” after I got home. 

Do not expect frequent updates.  Just about every item needs to be designed and scratch built, although I now have Ron Dean's fittings list which will help with many of the 1/96 standard parts for that era.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #630 on: July 16, 2018, 01:28:19 pm »

If you need any 3Pdr HA guns, let me know Bob.

As T888's Akazuki project shows, Funnels are a model in their own right. Even the little Destroyer ones that I made took a lot longer than I expected. A tube with a whistle and nowt else they are not. The Funnels you need may be big enough to require some internal framework and ladders!
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #631 on: July 16, 2018, 03:49:20 pm »

Thank you Ian.  You do make lovely funnels.   :-))

They are indeed mini models in their own right, almost 100mm tall, oval, with lots of detail.
Plus of course they are both of different shape and section.  Challenging, and interesting.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #632 on: August 21, 2018, 10:06:05 pm »

Sorry for lack of progress recently, there have a number of personal issues that have put a hold on buying materials etc.   Finally, I am back on track.

I have decided to replace the four 5Ah SLA batteries for the gunfire system with 5Ah NiMh as they are much lighter.
The recent sailing trials went well, but indicated a further reduction in displacement required.  Reducing from 1.58Kg to 704 gam times four. 
Batteries are on order

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #633 on: August 21, 2018, 10:33:09 pm »

Don't fret Bob. As long as you and yours are alright. You will get her done when you get her done; we will still be along for the journey  :}
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #634 on: January 05, 2019, 08:38:43 pm »

Hi Bob

How is Agin and Court going? If you need inspiration if you look in the last issue of Model Boats you can see Ron Kingdon's G3 battlecruiser but appearing behind her in the picture is Agincourt. My Invincible is on a go-slow at the moment due to a project for the Model Boats editor but I'll be back up and running with her in the next couple of weeks. Had hoped to see you at the Deans Marine Christmas Do where I bought Invincible in her current condition and bought (I know... :embarrassed: ) a hull from Ron's scrapyard of the 1882 turret ship HMS Inflexible. Looking at alternatives for her as there quite a few Inflexibles out there and depending on how accurate I want it to be I may do a conversion to Collosus or a similar ship. One day...
Keep us up to date with your progress. :-))
Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #635 on: January 05, 2019, 09:15:31 pm »

Yes, I have been wondering how you are doing Bob. I hope you are alright?
Pond weed is your enemy

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #636 on: January 07, 2019, 01:31:32 pm »

Nick,

Slightly off topic but if you have an Infelxible hull why not build her with the full masting - full ship rig on two masts rather than the cut down masting in the standard model. This would make a very real difference.

Cheers

Geoff

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #637 on: January 07, 2019, 01:43:05 pm »

Hi Geoff

That’s entirely possible, I do have a good quality photo of her in her original rig so perhaps is the way to go. All other options are a bit difficult to pull of due to different lengths and beams.
I’ve got some plans to work with but I’m going to finish off my other projects before I start another!
I promise... this time %%
Nick B

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #638 on: January 07, 2019, 02:24:57 pm »

I’ve got some plans to work with but I’m going to finish off my other projects before I start another!

Flying bacon again !

Bintur Ellenbach

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #639 on: January 07, 2019, 04:05:44 pm »

Agin' and Court are still on hold at the moment.  I need to rewire the forward (Agin') electronics and remount their boxes before I can get on with the (fragile) external detailing work.  C-3PO still has most of the aft (Court) electronics, and I understand is considering some significant upgrades in a couple of months time.  I am reluctant to proceed until after this design review.  ie: it could possibly become more compact.  I also need to test the steppers rotating to ensure I have them on the turret centrelines.

I do occasionally sail the conjoined hull halves (designated Agincourt) as the steering / propulsion/ ballasting is now optimum following post -Wicksteed modifications.  It also had a trip to Deans.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #640 on: January 07, 2019, 08:24:36 pm »

Good news Bob. You are getting the best of both worlds, testing the ship and learning her sailing quirks and getting up to the minute technology for her!

I can't wait to see how things are going and wish you and yours well.
Pond weed is your enemy

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #641 on: January 07, 2019, 09:09:37 pm »

Thank you Ian.  Positive as always   O0

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #642 on: January 19, 2019, 10:49:33 am »

HMS Agincourt - TARGET update
So this has been dorment for a while from my side.....lots of other interesting avenues to explore that have grabbed my limited play time

Currently writing my own model submarine operating system which has lots of whistles and bells in concept - but when finished may just have the bells as I think I have been over optimistic in my specification - time will tell.

So I will be sending Bob as small circuit that allows him to move the turret steppers to check/ensure they don't hit the superstructure and also a servo fire sequence that will allow him to make sure we have got the correct movement of the servo to suck/spit the smoke fluid

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #643 on: January 20, 2019, 02:03:56 pm »

Many thanks C-3PO.  Greatly appreciated.

I did say this was going to be a long project, but I do take HMS Agin-court sailing, like today in fact.  A perfect day for sailing anything (without sails).  Well, here she is at Black Park Lake this morning in beautiful sunshine, if a tad cold.

Moving the beast, albeit in two halves, leaves too much vulnerable to handling damage at the moment.
This weekend I made up a wooden guard to protect the oversized rudder whilst in transit

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #644 on: January 26, 2019, 10:02:59 am »

Stepper Tester & Servo Fire Control Board

Bob - this will be in the post on Monday - https://youtu.be/IHdOx2WFrhM

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #645 on: January 26, 2019, 11:08:00 am »

Wow !!  that looks awesome C-3PO.  Many thanks.

If I am following the video clip correctly one cable is for the stepper motor, the 3 core one connects to the pump servo, and the read and black leads are DC power.   The push buttons manual controls.  Neat

It will be a real boon being able to "manually" turn the steppers to ensure the mountings are concentric with the fixed barbettes.  Also that the pump servo operates to the required angles.  Previously I had tested them using a little servo tester and battery, but that did not replicate how the software would operate them.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #646 on: February 25, 2019, 01:47:14 pm »

Turret Testing

On the Saturday of Mayhem 2018 we had not finished commissioning all the Arduino’s, especially in the after section of the hull.  All the aft part had was the Receiver Arduino and the Compass.  This made testing the turrets, especially the 4 aftermost, highly difficult.  The turrets run on precision stepper motors rather than just servos or motors.
As you can see from the photo the 12 inch turrets were incredibly tightly packed, and with very limited clearance for wiring between the rotating turret cylinder and the fixed barbettes.  Getting the steppers exactly concentric was key to preventing sticking or jamming.

Thanks again to C-3PO, who had developed the Arduino control system, in producing an Arduino stepper motor test board. 

The test board was a real boon in identifying the mechanical problems so that I could solve them.  Some adjustments to aid concentricity were made, including re-aligning the stepper motor mounting brackets.  Next problem was vertical alignment.  I had to raise the superfiring mount by 2 mm, and also file off the sighting hoods from the adjacent deck level mountings to give more clearance.

C-3PO’s test board also tests the action of the servos that pump the fog fluid through the thermistor heaters and out through the gun barrels.

https://youtu.be/IHdOx2WFrhM

The rear hull (HMS ‘Court) now has its turrets turning effectively.  I shall now use the test board to check out the three turrets in the forward half  (HMS Agin’)

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #647 on: February 26, 2019, 10:25:21 pm »

Hooray the 2019 Agincourt project season has begun  :-)) It is good to see you back and whittling again Bob. The hull looks good especially with her name emblazoned on the stern, and the turrets are adding to that feeling that progress is being steadily made.

I cannot deny my childlike glee at seeing all those coloured buttons CPO has put on the tester system!!
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #648 on: February 27, 2019, 07:58:14 pm »

Excellent work, hopefully we will see a fully functional TARGET system at Wicksteed this year. You and C3PO keep up the good work. :-))
Nick B

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #649 on: February 28, 2019, 06:44:09 am »

perhaps we need a target like a few years back!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28   Go Up

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 21 queries.