Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1/12 Severn Flying Bridge assembly  (Read 2030 times)

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too late for a happy childhood
1/12 Severn Flying Bridge assembly
« on: May 17, 2017, 09:48:34 am »

I am at the point of fitting the flying bridge floor and mast boxes and a few things occur to me.
I would be grateful for pointers from others who have trod this path.
The first thing i am wresting with is the mast boxes. If I cement them in place what fixing method can I use to bolt the mast brackets to them as I won't be able to put nuts on the inside. It's just occurred to me as i write this that I might be able to glue nuts to a plate and glue the plates inside the mast boxes?
Also I am thinking I should probably fill the mast boxes with filler or something to give them more strength to carry the mast assembly and give more area to bond them to the floor and sides.
Also I'm thinking that I'll  have to live with the fact that the mast assembly is permanently attached which will prevent inverting the wheelhouse on the bench for any alterations or repairs in the future. This seems obvious but it comes home when I see how big this model is getting.
I would welcome any observations as I find it easy to miss the obvious. Also knowing what others have done gives a boost to confidence in proceeding.
Les

boat captain

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 1/12 Severn Flying Bridge assembly
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 05:51:15 pm »

I have drilled the holes out to take 14 ba bolts, I have had a dry run and it seems quite secure.

When I fit it finally I will super glue the mast base brackets and the bolts.

The mast boxes I have cut the centers of them out to enable me to run all the wiring from the mast lights etc down the trunking.

I have left the top section of the mast portable to give a little more head room in and out of the car and also to make the storage  box a little lower.

Joe
Liverpool MBC Committee Member

lesfac

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too late for a happy childhood
Re: 1/12 Severn Flying Bridge assembly
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 07:42:08 am »

Hi Joe
If I understand you correctly you are saying you won't use nuts on the bolts, just superglue them in?
I hadn't thought of that. If I go that way I think I would add filler inside the boxes to give more to glue the bolts to.
Thanks for the idea
Les
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.