Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi from Portsmouth  (Read 2430 times)

Gypsyfella

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Hi from Portsmouth
« on: May 18, 2017, 12:14:41 pm »

Firstly I'd like to say thank you for letting me join this forum and secondly the very welcoming email from Ken Churchill (Tug Kenny).

I have recently come into the possession of a larger than expected rc model boat 'Cap Domingo'. It was bought for my father-in-law as a father’s day present next month but needs a little tlc to bring it to a level that will be appreciated. As I have been married to his daughter for twenty years I have got to know my father-in-law quite well and I am aware that although he is a very clever and well educated man, his DIY and practical skills are non-existent (just ask his wife)! So as I am a maintenance engineer by trade, I have taken it upon myself to bring the model back to its former glory.

My only prior experience in the modelling world was Airfix models when I was a kid. When I reached a certain age, my interests turned to alcohol and the beautiful female form (I apologise to any ladies if I offend). So when I collected this model I had no intention of keeping it but as I have cleaned and tinkered away over the past week, I have kind of fallen in love with the boat. I also find it a calming and enjoyable couple of hours after sometimes a long and stressful day and it has the added bonus of getting me away from all the nagging that often comes with the beautiful female form (again I apologise)!

I promise to scour the forums before asking any questions but I'm sure I will start a thread or two regarding the Cap Doming or Robbe kit parts. I also intend to get in touch with the local club - Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team - to get any local knowledge that is available. I'm not sure I will do much sailing, I seem to get my kicks from repairing and restoring things to their former glory.

I also expect I will start a post shortly with pics in the section 'Working Vessels' to show my starting point, progress and all the questions I would like answers to (such as where can I get a replacement circular/funnel shaped 'aerial' that is missing from the upper deck). If nothing else, someone in the future could be in a very similar position as me and may find the thread helpful.

Again I would like to say thank you for letting me join this forum and I hope I don't ask too many obvious questions.

Best regards, Steve

I also apologise to anyone who read the post before I modified it. It somehow got posted with a huge chunk of writing missing which I have just had to re-write!

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
Re: Hi from Portsmouth
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 04:09:13 pm »

Pop in to Frattons as Alan who sometimes works in there (but attends most days except mondays) is Chairman of the Portsmouth Display Team.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 06:22:17 pm »

Pop in to Frattons as Alan who sometimes works in there (but attends most days except mondays) is Chairman of the Portsmouth Display Team.

Bob

Cheeky git....no, hang on..probably right %)

Is the Cap Domingo a pale green hulled one?

Alan, Chairman,
Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team ( I know, who would believe that in a world where I have painted my decks with a colour called 'Trump Teak', they would vote ME in? )
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 08:53:50 pm »

Welcome to the forum Steve.

I look forward to see your posts on the restoration of Cap Domingo.
Pond weed is your enemy

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 10:21:58 pm »

Yes.....welcome Steve....for any long  posts, many create the text in Outlook or Word, then copy & paste....it sure beats loosing it or 1/2 of if when some electronic bug decides to  do something silly >>:-(

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

Gypsyfella

• Shipmate
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 10:09:07 am »

Thank you for the replies. I’m now typing this in word so I don’t end up losing the text or my mind!
I was in Fratton model shop earlier this week (Wednesday) during my lunch hour. There was a chap having a little play with a great tank that had fantastic sound effects. I will try and pop down either today or early next week and try and meet Alan.
The Cap Domingo is very similar to the model that is currently in the window of Fratton model shop but a little shorter in length. The lower half of the hull is red with white above the waterline.
As soon I have worked out how to upload pics I'll start a thread in the working vessels section (or can you only link to pics?).

Steve

Tug-Kenny RIP

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 10:39:38 am »

Hello again Steve,

I'm afraid pictures have to be loaded onto the site.  This is done by clicking  'Attachments',  below your letter and selecting a suitable picture from your computer.  This has to be no larger than 200K, so a size reducing paint program has to be used.

Any questions, then you only have to ask.

Cheers

ken

Despite the high cost of living   .......... It remains popular

Gypsyfella

• Shipmate
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 11:13:03 am »

Thanks for the upload advice. I was looking at the options above the text box and didn’t spot the options below.
Here is a pic I found via google of the Cap Domingo model. Mine is in a far worse state but I enjoy the challenge!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2017, 07:47:12 pm »

When you see some of the travesties caused by attrocious packaging then enjoying challenges is advised  :-)

I look forward to seeing how you get on with your restoration Steve.

I visited Fratton Models a few years back and did like it's traditional model shop feel. Lots of stuff packed in, and a good selection of modelling materials and paints.

Pond weed is your enemy

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 08:26:04 pm »

Thank you for the replies. I’m now typing this in word so I don’t end up losing the text or my mind!
I was in Fratton model shop earlier this week (Wednesday) during my lunch hour. There was a chap having a little play with a great tank that had fantastic sound effects. I will try and pop down either today or early next week and try and meet Alan.
The Cap Domingo is very similar to the model that is currently in the window of Fratton model shop but a little shorter in length. The lower half of the hull is red with white above the waterline.
As soon I have worked out how to upload pics I'll start a thread in the working vessels section (or can you only link to pics?).

Steve

Evening Steve,

You have met Roy The Tank then?!, You have probably met me at the same time, I was the dashing, modest, but talented individual that had to fix Roys tank :} .
I only asked about the colour of your Cap Domingo as we had one with a lime green hull for sale through the shop a couple of years ago.

Modest Al.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

pdq

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 08:40:25 pm »

Great to see that Fratton Models is still going...few and far between these days :-))  I remember buying some kits in there many many years ago...40 probably. Not a place i visit often!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 21 queries.