Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Painting, Finishing and Care.

chrome paint

(1/4) > >>

Brian60:
Yep you can buy it in rattle cans and it works as good as you need. However if you try and brush it then all you get is a grey smudge, all the shiny surface dissapears.

So is there a brushable one available in the hobbyist paint ranges? or am I going to have to make do with one of the metallic aluminium ones? I have a Humbrol brushable metallic and it's useless, like above it comes out grey not even metallic.

raflaunches:
You could try the Hiroboy zero range, they cater for the model car ranges like formula one. I believe that their paint comes pre thinned for airbrushes but can be brushed on by hand. I tried them for my 1/20 Ebbro Lotus 72C  and the colour density is fantastic. Not cheap but less than a can of spray!

Brian60:
Have you a stockist mate? I don't mind buying a bottle if it does the job - covering the hydraulic rams on my booms, such a small job I can't even airbrush them without covering the rest of the jibs in overspray, they are just 20mm long by 1mm diameter.

raflaunches:
Hi Brian

Check this website out for what's available

http://www.hiroboy.com/True_Metal_Silver--product--6063.html

The item I've linked might actually be better than the zero paint as it can be applied with anything.

One thing you could try with your Humbrol paint before you commit yourself to a new item is to paint a gloss coat of black (Humbrol 21 I believe) allow to dry then apply the Humbrol chrome paint, allow to dry then polish. Sometimes metallic paint needs a black primer to get the effect, all the zero paints, Alclads, and AK active ranges recommends this.
Hope this helps. :-))

TomHugill:
Hi Brian, tamiya do a chrome paint pen which might be do what you're after

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version