Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Model Boat plans  (Read 9958 times)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Model Boat plans
« on: May 23, 2017, 10:35:45 am »

Hi all, anyone gone onto the myhobbystore web site lately?
I was checking on an old Model Boats (magazine) plan and find it is all under the one banner of Traplet.
I suppose there was a clue with Traplet plans being advertised in Model boats magazine in the last 2 issues.
I wonder what is happening?
regards Roy

mrlownotes

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Model Boat plans
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 10:59:54 am »

I noticed that and registered mild confusion. If you go to the 'Contact us' page, you will see, at the bottom, that the contact is a Traplet address etc.
I hope that the production of the magazine does not go to Traplet.
Bintur Ellenbach

Kevgarth

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 11:35:03 am »

I saw an add advertising Traplet plans recently stating they had the largest range of model plans in UK?
But what I find more astonishing is I've got about 10 plans from the old Model Boats plans handbook when they were under the Argus, Mapp banner before being bought out by The Hobbystore and they no longer have these plans in their library and even a few years ago they were asking modellers to let them know if they have an old plans so they could have it back scan it for future sells again, well how did that happen as some of the plans they've lost are interesting designs and subjects???
It's a bit like the BBC chucking all the old "top of the pops" and early "Dr Who" films out and now asking people who pulled them out the rubbish skips for them back !!!

Steamboat Phil would know four of them "Birdie, Kippa, Mugga and B-Liner" all straight running boats but people have gone to the trouble of drawing these plans up for others to build and enjoy sailing and these plans end up in the bin? Interesting enough the "Kippa and Mugga" design was drawn up by an old chairman of the MPBA and Blackheath MBC member Mr Don Hewett unfortunately he's no longer with us but a really nice guy always offering help and advice and was a great ambassador for our hobby, and he also used to do a regular write-up for Model Boats magazine.

Regards
Kevin

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 12:21:57 pm »

Hi Kevin I responded to a 'wants' plea as I have the old model boats Bermuda sloop plan, but I was never asked to pass it back for copying.
Perhaps our fellow mayhemmer Colin has some comment?  That is on the magazine status.
regards Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 12:35:33 pm »

Hi all, just heard from Model Boats magazine editor Paul Freshney.  The retail web site Myhobbystore was sold to Traplet and Model Boats owner's bought 5 magazine titles from them. 

Model Boats magazine is running strongly and will continue to do so.

The Traplet model boat plans website is not easy to navigate, perhaps we can look forward to seeing that improve.

Model Boat magazine readers may remember an article on a 'footy' by Phil Parker recently. 
He was a major contributor to British Railway Modelling magazine and he has now moved over to edit Engineering in Minature and Garden Rail magazine. 
BRM do an excellent DVD with each issue, perhaps a nice idea for Model Boats magazine?

regards Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 01:43:00 pm »

While the various collections of model boat plans remain an important historical resource they unfortunately no longer have much commercial value as demand has dropped away. There days. modellers are more likely to buy kits, RTR/ATR models or secondhand off Ebay so there is no longer much of a market for plans. I suspect that some of those listed don't make any sales in a five year period! You can't run profitably a business on that basis.

As I have said in another post, many of these plans were printed in the magazines in which they were featured to a sufficiently high quality that they can be retrieved as long as copies of the magazines still exist.

Colin

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 05:47:26 pm »

Indeed as Colin has mentioned on another thread re the drawings, however I do have a disk with all the plans from the MAP booklet, so if you know what you are after I should me able to help, and as Kevin has said, I also have the original plans for the Kippa and the Mugga in the club folder.  :-))
Steamed up all the time

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 06:28:14 pm »

Speaking to Barrie Stephens at last years Warwick, it turned out that Traplet had the printing capability for plans 'in house' and were printing for both magazines last year. Makes sense when you consider that plans are not as popular as in past years. However, Barrie mentioned that plans for aircraft were having something of a resurgence, following the almost saturation of the RC flying market with RTR foam and balsa/ply models. Flyers were getting bored and wanted to build stuff, well done them :-))
The model boat kit build side of the market is still active, certainly more so than the aircraft kit build side is anyway, so no great need for plans at the moment.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Kevgarth

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 06:52:20 pm »

Have you got the "Birdie" plan in your collection Phil circa Model Boats magazine 1973 and also the Beachcomber drawn up by one of the VMSBC members who's name escapes me.

Regards
Kevin

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 07:44:34 pm »

Indeed I have  :-))

PM sent
Steamed up all the time

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 03:17:58 am »

S.E.Pickering did the Beachcomber.

tony52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 12:18:32 pm »

Steamboat Phil would know four of them "Birdie, Kippa, Mugga and B-Liner" all straight running boats but people have gone to the trouble of drawing these plans up for others to build and enjoy sailing and these plans end up in the bin? Interesting enough the "Kippa and Mugga" design was drawn up by an old chairman of the MPBA and Blackheath MBC member Mr Don Hewett unfortunately he's no longer with us but a really nice guy always offering help and advice and was a great ambassador for our hobby, and he also used to do a regular write-up for Model Boats magazine.

Regards
Kevin

If anyone has the plan of B-Liner (MM1140) which I could "beg, steal, borrow" (to have copied), or buy, it would be a pleasure to hear of it.
Thank you
Tony

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 01:22:44 pm »

I will check to see if it is on my plans disk, I did draw it up a few years ago for Thelogbuild, it will not be until after the mayhem event though  :-))
Steamed up all the time

Kevgarth

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 11:57:58 pm »

Tell you what Phil my father built a Phil Connolly cabin cruiser "Fairmille" from the Map range circa 1964 and I definitely know this plan is no longer available from the Hobbystore plans and what a beautifully shaped hull it's SUPERB it cuts the water lovely as this was my first RC boat I had as a kid aged 6!!!
Have you got this on your disc as I know my Dad's still got the plan and I'll scan it off for you if you haven't. Ironically there's quite a few models of this design on the various club stands when you attend the Alexandra Palace in London. The south-east must love it???

Regards
Kevin

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 02:32:07 am »

Hi All
I have a few of the Aerokits plans scanned to PDF, like the Sea Hornet, Sea Rover, Swordsman and the Crash Tender 46".

Dainesh

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2021, 08:24:29 pm »

Hello guys

I'm interested in the Austro-Hungarian Navy and I found a really good website, and as an extra there are plans there too.
http://www.nostalgianavy.com/english1.htm
Have fun😊

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2021, 09:32:55 am »

Hi All

I am still swapping and trading old plans for free !!!

Not long ago I bought 22 model boats and bits !!!

With it was a Veron 26" Thames Police Launch with the original plan and three paper copies.

I have had the plans scan to PDF for save keeping.

Would like to add more to the club's collection.

I just like old model boats !!!!!!

Canabus

MikeTMechanic

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2024, 12:55:15 pm »

All the Traplet plans have been bought by Sarik Hobbies and their link is here https://www.sarikhobbies.com/

All the magazines that seem to go out of business, sarik seem to buy the plans and then start printing them too.

They also have all the canopies and, spinners and boat parts available too.

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2024, 05:11:44 pm »

Yes, and Magazine Exchange seem to be raping the internet and selling plans "Acquired" from the free sites.

Regards  Ian.

Bet Sarik will be REALLY pleased.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

MikeTMechanic

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2024, 08:09:09 am »

Never knew about this, great to have other means of sourcing plans.

Many thanks

dodgy geezer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2024, 08:53:39 pm »

Hi All
I am still swapping and trading old plans for free !!!
Not long ago I bought 22 model boats and bits !!!
With it was a Veron 26" Thames Police Launch with the original plan and three paper copies.
I have had the plans scan to PDF for save keeping.
Would like to add more to the club's collection.
I just like old model boats !!!!!!
Canabus

The Oldboats site is still up - though not with a huge amount of plans. It has many of the old Sterling ones, though.  I built it hoping to emulate the Outer Zone site for old model aircaft plans, but there don't seem to be so many boat ones around. I'm particularly interested in 'orphan' plans - ones which used to be owned by someone, but which have now been abandoned.

If anyone has an old plan they want to put up on the web for free downloading, send it in. I do the copyright checking and gain permissions if necessary/possible. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.